spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sgvnut

join:2002-01-13
Alhambra, CA

$200 fee to upgrade to ultra even when i previously had ultra?

I just called and tried to upgrade my 30Mbps tier to the 100Mbps tier. They notified me of the $200 charge. Then after some reading on here it seems like it is never waived. My question is, what if I used to have Ultra 100Mbps when it first came out. The guy on the phone said his supervisor said there was no way to waive the fee. But i can't imagine them charging extra $200 everytime you downgrade and upgrade back. When I had ultra it was when they first came out and they didn't have this absurd charge.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
Don't matter any more if you had it in the past or not. Charter will not waive the fee at all. 2 reasons why you don't see the tier advertised. Its expensive and they hit you with the massive $200 flip the switch fee. Its a rip off. They do it to keep people off the tier and stay on the 30mb. Probably capacity issues with Ultra if many have it depending on area. I am paying $102.99 for mine. Prices vary by area and its even more for others. I have seen some mention paying $119.99

FievelMousey
Premium
join:2005-11-17
Ronda, NC
reply to sgvnut
I am on the 100 before fee and I will never downgrade it. If do anything I upgrade in future if anything is ever released faster LOL but with Charter that a joke.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
reply to sgvnut
I was with Ultra as well a long time ago before this new $200 fee hit.

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to FievelMousey
said by FievelMousey:

I am on the 100 before fee and I will never downgrade it. If do anything I upgrade in future if anything is ever released faster LOL but with Charter that a joke.

You do realize 30 meg is being upgraded to 60 meg soon.

FievelMousey
Premium
join:2005-11-17
Ronda, NC
You realize I want Upload not download LOL.

sgvnut

Alhambra, CA
reply to KoRnGtL15
Darn, wasn't what i was hoping to hear. Shouldn't have ever downgraded. Too bad there are no other better internet providers in my area.

sgvnut

Alhambra, CA
reply to FievelMousey
Maybe when a faster tier is released it will come with a $300 set up fee haha.

Mr Guy

@charter.com
reply to FievelMousey
said by FievelMousey:

You realize I want Upload not download LOL.

Nope because your post never mentions that. All your post says is implies Charter will never upgrade speeds.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to sgvnut
said by sgvnut:

Too bad there are no other better internet providers in my area.

As far as a better internet provider, who is "better" than Charter? Now as far as ripping people off with this stupid install fee and lack of any choices, several are better, for sure!

Personally,
Don't see a need for the speed here except for more upload, especially since most servers don't serve anything that fast anyway, and will never upgrade to something that expensive just for internet, but, to each their own.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
reply to Mr Guy
upload still isnt there. I could care less about the download, I want the upload.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
I'm just curious, what is this constant drum beat for more upload about? For gamers, or people who use a lot of cloud storage/backups, or what? I'm excluding business uses... just wondering what the average home user needs more for.

mj3431

join:2003-04-21
STL, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
For me it would be cloud backup and working remotely from home. 30/4 works fine most days but I'd rather have 30/8 than 60/4.

We need upstream bonding to unlock the potential. Comcast now does 50/10, 105/20 on their network... »Exclusive: Comcast to Double Tier Speeds. Again.

Heck, 60/10 on Charter would be welcome in my home once all digital hits.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA
Thanks, both those uses make sense. Not that it matters what I think. I just wanted to know what the need is for most people.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
Not sure that applies to most people...

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to msmisfit
said by msmisfit:

just wondering what the average home user needs more for.

I do a lot of e-mailing of some decent size files, so more upload for me wouldn't hurt. For what I do on computer, more download doesn't make any sense. 30meg is just fine.

Still do some web sites for some companies and other people also, so upload would help there also. Have used cloud services for backups of other people stuff too.
--
The Firefox alternative.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA
reply to whoaru99

said by whoaru99:

Not sure that applies to most people...

LOL... I know he was just speaking for himself. Excluding working remotely from home, would gaming probably be the biggest use?

Jaybonaut

join:2012-05-29
reply to msmisfit
said by msmisfit:

I'm just curious, what is this constant drum beat for more upload about? For gamers, or people who use a lot of cloud storage/backups, or what? I'm excluding business uses... just wondering what the average home user needs more for.

I rent server space I upload to occasionally and I also am a Youtube content creator. 4 meg up is a giant pain in the butt.

sgvnut

Alhambra, CA
reply to cork1958
I'm about to cave and give them $200. ATT U-Verse is my other option. Slower and more inconsistant speeds for around same amount monthly at charter 30/4. No thanks! ATT customer support is way worse in my experience. I think charter actually has great customer support and I get a really consistent internet connection with them. That $200 setup fee just caught me totally off guard. Divide it into 12 months and its about $16.66 more on top of the extra $60 a month.

BoMarty

join:2001-02-01
Ballwin, MO
that upload on the Ultra should be going up to 7meg sometime in 2014 for residential. 5 upload right now.

fredbisard

@charter.com
reply to sgvnut
said by sgvnut:

No thanks! ATT customer support is way worse in my experience. I think charter actually has great customer support

i have to ask how often are you calling support? in all my years with charter i don't think i've called them 3 times so I wouldn't even feel qualified to rate their support.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
said by fredbisard :

said by sgvnut:

No thanks! ATT customer support is way worse in my experience. I think charter actually has great customer support

i have to ask how often are you calling support? in all my years with charter i don't think i've called them 3 times so I wouldn't even feel qualified to rate their support.

Same here. I think the number of times I've called is three as well, spread over many years. I have a feeling the 80/20 rule of thumb applies here. 20% of customers are 80% of their customer support workload.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
I'm even better than you last 2 posters!

I've only ever called Charter twice in 17 years and both times were weather related incidents.

I've been to their local office once and then they screwed me over and gave me a DOCSIS 2 modem when I specifically asked for a D3! Even that's been a couple/few years ago now when they screwed over some of those SB6120 modems with that firmware update.

I'll admit freely that as often as I bash Charter, which is strictly for their business practices, their service has been absolutely phenomenal, for me.
--
The Firefox alternative.