Search similar:

uniqs

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

2 edits

hlo207

[Internet] FTTH adding FibeTV - few questions

At my place, TV was under "Robbers" for slightly over 20 years. Parents are getting pissed off at the amount paid. FTTH is under my name and I may do a dual feed for short term under they are convinced. The price may convince them to dump Robbers.

I looked at the Bell site, all the bundles include the lower speed Bell internet. Where can I look to see how much will it cost to add Fibe TV to FTTH? Give me the URL pls. I am at the research stage so I don't really want to talk to a sales person yet. My home phone (thru FTTH now) is Bell so I am sure I can qualify for some kind of bundles.

I understand the part Bell tech can run either co-axial or ethernet from the Sagemcom to the PVR. Obviously if we are having both Rogers and Bell at the same time, it will have to be ethernet. The house co-axial wirings are over 25 years old, will that affect the Fibe TV? Drilling couple outside holes for ethernet is no issue since that was done to have Sagemcom upstairs.

Currently Sagemcom sits on 2nd floor computer room at the back of the house, it has to stay there since few other ethernet connections are needed or originated from there. The PVR will sit where the family room at the back of house diagonally below where the Sagemcom sits. Another TV goes to my room at the front of the house where traditionally has a hard time getting wifi signal from the Sagemcom.

My questions are:

- Where is the signal for the Wireless Receiver comes from? The Sagemcom or Whole Home PVR?
- How good is the signal from Whole Home PVR? Better than the Sagemcom I hope....
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

You really should speak to someone about pricing. The website usually does not reflect the best deal you're eligible for. Generally if you punch in your postal code it will tell you the packages available in your area.

The signal from the wireless receiver comes from a special wireless AP attached to the Sagemcom

Signal is dependant on the size and construction materials in your home. I've seen the technology deployed in many types of homes across different MSOs that use mediaroom and have never seen an issue.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

What is this "special wireless AP"?

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to hlo207

Premium Member

to hlo207
Here are the prices for Fibe TV, the bundle discount is $8.
»www.bell.ca/Fibe-TV/Fibe ··· rammings

----

If you have no issue with having ethernet drilled through I don't see an issue with the technician doing that since you already had it done to go from the ONT to the Connection Hub.

----

The wireless for the wireless STB comes from an additional wireless AP that is installed alongside of the of the Connection Hub and is connected to the modem via an ethernet cable. The wireless APuses 5 GHz 802.11A/N to communicate with the wireless receivers.

From my experience I haven't had any signal issues with the wireless boxes when they're on the same floor as the wireless AP. I've done installs and I've placed the modem and wireless AP at one end of the house and the wireless STB at the other end 2 floors up and it worked without any issues.
JC_

JC_ to hlo207

Premium Member

to hlo207

Vap 2500

Vap 2500

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207 to JC_

to JC_
Where does the AP plug into the Sagemcom? A ethernet port or the co-axial?

How many ethernet port in the back of the Sagemcom do I need to free up to make Fibe TV works? Assume I am going to ethernet to PVR path.

BTW thanks for the quick replies
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

AP plugs into the ethernet LAN ports. You'll want to clear two ports, one for the PVR and one for the AP.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

I will have to grab a "8-ports" (or more) giga switch first if I decide to go Fibe TV!! The Xbox360 works best with a direct connection to the Sagemcom and the other one will go to my giga switch.

Is the AP signal for TV only? Can I tap into it for regular internet wifi?
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

It's for TV only.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to hlo207

Premium Member

to hlo207
said by hlo207:

I will have to grab a "8-ports" (or more) giga switch first if I decide to go Fibe TV!! The Xbox360 works best with a direct connection to the Sagemcom and the other one will go to my giga switch.

Is the AP signal for TV only? Can I tap into it for regular internet wifi?

The PVR and AP need to be plugged directly into the Connection Hub, I put my PVR on my gigabit switch to see how well it would work and I was getting a lot of pixelization however I'm just using an unmanaged switch but if I used a managed switch it might have worked.

I connected my xBox through my switch and everything works fine with it.

hlo207
North York, ON

1 edit

hlo207

Again thank you to all of the responses and PMs.

Before I go about "mucking" with my parents Robbers Cable TV seriously, I need to find out what channels they are subscribing to (regular + extras). Then I need to look at the 3 base packages that Bell offer to make sure we are getting no less. After that add back whatever extras they had before. If it looks like there are some savings (> $10 at least) with the public pricing; then I will take up whatever special offers you guys know of to see what I can really get. Plus I can go for that $10 unlimited bandwidth and my wife can download whatever movies from Bit Torrents to her heart content. Old folks (my parents) do not like changes, they memorized the TV channel numbers for years. Therefore it has be to a significant enough $$ savings before I want to bother them.

Besides there are so much snow this winter that there is no way for me or the Bell tech to get to the backyard anyway. If we have to run the ethernet between the Sagemcom to the family room, he will need to grab his ladder and work there. Too much snow and "glacier ice" (from the freezing rain events) for that at this moment.

Then again I have to make sure during installation time the bedroom in the front of the house does not get the wifi bad spot issue with the VAP2500. Something that the current Robbers TV has no issue with since I have the co-axial jack in the bedroom. That will be a game time show stopper.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to hlo207

to hlo207
Haven't had too many issues with the wireless AP other than in a couple mansions I've done (I'm talking 5,000 sq ft +) and even in those cases I was able to get it to work wirelessly so I wouldn't worry about wireless coverage. The 5ghz wireless wave is much stronger and very little interference for right now as most routers are using 2.4ghz for wireless.

Drilling holes shouldn't be an issue for the tech, and to do it the way you want. The only issue I've had with the VAP is it sends signal better going up than down for whatever reason so that may be a factor for you if you have the sagemcom upstairs.

Also, it doesn't matter how old the coax is in the house, if it's undamaged and dedicated runs of coaxial cable they will work. Any splitters, barrels or un approved ends can cause pixelization and a lose of pvr functions. We can always swap out one splitter for an hpna splitter but if theres a bunch of 10 ft sections barrelled together there becomes a time when it'll take longer to repair the coax you have vs. Just running a new line.

Also many folks on here like to knock coaxial cable, but it is extremely durable, as mentioned by you that it's 25 yrs old and still working. At that age it is probably rg59 coax which will work but the rg6 coax we use has an even thicker copper component to it. At the end of the day I can not notice the difference between a pvr hooked up with cat5e or one with rg6 coax. I believe rg6 coax to be more durable and will last longer than cat5e in the same settings (in fact ive already had a few repairs for cat5 wiring), but lately more and more people are wanting cat5e to link the modem to the pvr and since how my current collective agreement states than I don't get paid if I don't work, then I'll keep using cat5 if someone asks and I will do it properly and safely but knowing one day in 5 years that line will fail whereas a coaxial cable in a similar setting would be fine for 25 yrs or more. So my personal preference is coax and I always use coax unless someone specifically asks for cat5e
hogtownhog
join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog

Yea, there is nothing wrong with coax and there is no difference whatsoever in picture quality between coax, cat5 or wifi since the set top boxes all connect to the modem through a regular local area computer network and since there is no modification of the video stream taking place between the modem and the set top boxes.

And running cat5e for your PVR is a bit of a waste since the PVR only has a 100Mb/s network interface to begin with. But as you say, whatever the customer wants...
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k to hlo207

to hlo207
Throwing in my 2 cents.

Personally I run cat5e to the pvr where possible. IMHO I prefer not to use coax if I can help it as your involving the HPNA adapter in the sagemcom and STBs and that just adds another 'step' in moving ip traffic. I'm a strong proponent of applying the KISS rule in IT environments wherever possible. Also consider the bug in the faulty firmware pushed to the modems that broke hpna. I'm not saying never use coax, but if I'm running wire, you best bet its gonna be cat5e.

Also, regarding the PVR placement. Keep in mind, in terms of end user functionality, there is no difference between the pvr and non-pvr set top boxes. That's why I generally dictate where the PVR is placed during the install, not the customer. I think a lot of customers are in the habit of saying, "the pvr goes in the living room", because that's where it has always gone probably due to the simple fact that with other TV services the cost of renting the pvr was more expensive than the non-pvr set top box. The pvr placement decision was made with their wallet.

I drive it home to my customers by stating "if you couldn't actually see the receiver with your own eyes while using the fibetv service, you cant tell which box your actually operating. The functionality is exactly the same."

Of course if a customer is absolutely stuck on placing the pvr at a certain location, I'd be obliged to do as they wish.
btech805
Canada

btech805

said by urbang33k:

Also, regarding the PVR placement. Keep in mind, in terms of end user functionality, there is no difference between the pvr and non-pvr set top boxes. That's why I generally dictate where the PVR is placed during the install, not the customer. I think a lot of customers are in the habit of saying, "the pvr goes in the living room", because that's where it has always gone probably due to the simple fact that with other TV services the cost of renting the pvr was more expensive than the non-pvr set top box. The pvr placement decision was made with their wallet.

I drive it home to my customers by stating "if you couldn't actually see the receiver with your own eyes while using the fibetv service, you cant tell which box your actually operating. The functionality is exactly the same."

Of course if a customer is absolutely stuck on placing the pvr at a certain location, I'd be obliged to do as they wish.

Ive been running into more of this of late, I usually try to explain it makes the most sense to put it where I use as few wires as possible and keep with the "wireless look" of the system since most are shocked the receiver even requires an electrical plug or has to plug into the tv (I digress but you get the picture...)

So only if someone is hell bent on having it in one room then I will put it there.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

After all the TV signal has its own Access Point that comes out of the Sagemcom which broadcast the wireless signal, as opposed to the PVR itself doing the signal broadcast. However I doubt any of the non techie customers will understand that. I did not know until you folks explained it to me with pictures. All along I thought the PVR gives off signals.

I guess it doesn't make too much sense either to put the PVR in a room with no TV either. Unless the customer wants to rent extra (if necessary) Wireless TV Receivers to cover the rest of the area. That brings an extra idea... Maybe I just need to clean some desk space around the Sagemcom and leave the PVR right there!!!! But then I need to pay the extra rental or purchase 1 more wireless receiver to put in the family room.

Not according to Bell Fibe TV site.... It seems the PVR is included if i have 3 products but no mentioning of free Wireless TV Receivers. What 3 products? 3 TV products or Internet+TV+Phone.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by hlo207:

I guess it doesn't make too much sense either to put the PVR in a room with no TV either. Unless the customer wants to rent extra (if necessary) Wireless TV Receivers to cover the rest of the area. That brings an extra idea... Maybe I just need to clean some desk space around the Sagemcom and leave the PVR right there!!!! But then I need to pay the extra rental or purchase 1 more wireless receiver to put in the family room.

Installing the PVR in the same room as the Connection Hub and than using wireless STBs for all of the TVs is an option an option however you would than have to pay for the additional wireless STB which is $7/mo to rent or $200 to own. It would take 28.5 months before the cost of renting is the same as purchasing it, this is without tax.
said by hlo207:

Not according to Bell Fibe TV site.... It seems the PVR is included if i have 3 products but no mentioning of free Wireless TV Receivers. What 3 products? 3 TV products or Internet+TV+Phone.

3 services include internet, TV and home phone.
btech805
Canada

btech805 to hlo207

to hlo207
Some folks do do thus however I cant see the point in having an additional receiver sitting there doing nothing. However if it is plugged into the sagemcom sitting underneath it doing nothing via ethernet, it would eliminate numerous potential issues other than the 5ghz wireless coverage from the VAP