uniqs
share rss forum feed

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to 47717768

Re: MS should of released two editions of Win 8

said by 47717768:

MS should of released two editions of Win 8 called tablet Edition and desktop Edition.

Much to complicated... they should have just left the start menu there... even if they made it an "option" to enable or disable.

The path they went was just stupid... every other windows I can recall was backwards compatible in the GUI, but not win8.

It is like with windows phone... they left out copy and paste... they knew people would hate it but they did it anyway... they are taking the "be like apple" thing a bit too literally.

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

1 edit
Well you can Switch Between Metro UI to Desktop GUI in Win 8 »blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/20···top.aspx, but thing is how many people know that it is possible?.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

said by 47717768:

Well you can Switch Between Metro UI to Desktop GUI in Win 8

yes but even when you do you are stuck with the "Fullscreen 8® Start menu"

It was a bone head move on their part... and the fact that they didn't put the start menu back (at least as an option) in 8.1 proves they were led astray by someone.

Once again... don't get me wrong... they NEEDED a touch interface... I am not against TIFKAM (modernUI).... I just don't get the lack of a traditional windows start menu.

After using a surface pro for a week or two now I can also suggest that MS should have considered creating a better method for zooming, and should have considered making the windows controls bigger (think windows xp vs windows vista sized)... and their default on screen keyboard has no F keys and no cursor keys (doh).

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

3 edits
I have done some research getting Start menu back in Win 8 »windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···art-menu but why can't MS make it simple to begin with in the first place ?

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to dib22
said by dib22:

It is like with windows phone... they left out copy and paste... they knew people would hate it but they did it anyway... they are taking the "be like apple" thing a bit too literally.

That must pre-date any windows phone I've used. I didn't get started until WP8 but it had copy/paste at launch.

WP 8.1 is looking really interesting. It should be WP9 but they are trying to unify the OS.

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to dib22
said by dib22:

said by 47717768:

Well you can Switch Between Metro UI to Desktop GUI in Win 8

After using a surface pro for a week or two now I can also suggest that MS should have considered creating a better method for zooming, and should have considered making the windows controls bigger (think windows xp vs windows vista sized)... and their default on screen keyboard has no F keys and no cursor keys (doh).

I like different keyboards in desktop mode and modern mode. For desktop I'll use the traditional layout with it docked instead of floating. That prevents the keyboard from covering things and gives access to all keys. It works great if I don't feel like flipping the keyboard out.

Swipe will be coming to Windows Phone 8.1. That might be interesting to also see on Windows 8.1. But that may be too big an area to swipe type.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

reply to Michail
said by Michail:

said by dib22:

That must pre-date any windows phone I've used. I didn't get started until WP8 but it had copy/paste at launch.

WP 8.1 is looking really interesting. It should be WP9 but they are trying to unify the OS.

It looks like the original release of Windows Phone 7 did not include copy/paste. That was added later in an update in March 2011. Which is baffling that they would leave that functionality out. I've used all iterations of the old Windows Mobile from 2002 through 6.1 and they all included copy/paste.
--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
Even with WP8 there were many things left off originally and lacked some things found in android and iOS. My only guess is there were some Agile decisions made in the process to get the product to market. It's looking like WP8.1 will change that.