share rss forum feed

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

Sprng is coming, how is your sump pump working?

Anyone across the Midwest and east coast where the winter has been a colder winter and much more snow has collected than normal now is the time to check your sump pump before the spring thaws start.
We all would be doing our friends a favor by telling them to check their sump pump now via Facebook, twitter, phone, or whatever.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
I don't have a sump pump, I don't need one.

join:2013-12-20
said by cowboyro:

I don't have a sump pump, I don't need one.

+1 - Same for me.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to rfhar
Have one, but it has never run. System was put in because of water sepage around the perimeter during a hurricane which dropped an insane amount of rain. Have never had that much water since.

I do run the garden hose into occassionally just to make sure it is all still working.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to rfhar
What is the typical life span of a sump pump?
We have one, and it runs all year long [not continuously, but when needed]. We've lived in this house close to 8 years now with no issues so far from the pump. I guess the best bet would be to call a plumber and let him look at it.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

rewron
Premium
join:2005-11-18
SW PA
reply to rfhar
Heard mine running today. It hit 50 degrees - after a low of 4 on Monday.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I guess the best bet would be to call a plumber and let him look at it.

The best bet is to have a backup pump. Battery powered is the most common, water powered is another option.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to Snakeoil
I got bit by not replacing mine, it gets used a lot. About 12+ years old, now I put a tag on the pipe with the year to replace it.

Don't know what a plumber would look at to see if it's any good. I've used Zollers that toally look like shit and were 10X better than most new ones ....

valvoj

join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY
reply to rfhar
I also got bit. Was my 2nd yr of owning current home, Spring flooding going on and pump switch went up. I am not Mr Fix It but was an easy replacement plus it was a Ridgid w/ lifetime warranty so ran to my local HD, swapped pump for a new 1 and was back up shortly after. I also called Ridgid and they sent me a spare switch if I feel frisky and just need to replace it.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to rfhar
Got flooded a month into being in this house. The pump (ancient Zoeller) went out the day of a heavy rain. Nothing is more fun than changing sump pumps while standing in water Wish I didn't cheapen out on the replacement pump, it's awfully loud. Will replace it again in the spring along with outside piping.

Hiker
Zeus
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Lebanon, NJ
reply to rfhar
What's a sump pump! Hah, had one once, after Floyd and 3 feet of water in basement and accompanying power outages, I didn't want to deal with it again. Next home I purchased, I wouldn't look at homes that had em. Realtor kept telling me they're fine, yea sure; been there done that...
--
"The braggart's pompous tongue Is hated most by Zeus And seeing them advance superb In clank of gold, he struck their first Man down with fire before he yelled Triumph from the walls" - Antigone.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Agree. Any house with a basement that has any chance of getting any water in it no matter how small is a deal breaker.

alphageek911

join:2007-08-10
Fresno, CA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Agree. Any house with a basement that has any chance of getting any water in it no matter how small is a deal breaker.

Come on out to California, we don't have water, you are safe!

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to rfhar
My main pump is pumping along need to unplug it to make sure backup kicks in. Pressed the button to force backup to turn on but that doesn't give the full picture if the floats are good.

Install watchdog combo (bw4000) June 2012 shortly after I purchased this house.. House only had single old zoller unit looked like it came with house. (10 years no way of knowing) No backup unit finished basement. WTF

Not to impressed with unit. I have had backup completely stopped working in about 6 months, it just hummed no water movement. And primary pump first float failed to activate pump. Probably around 14 or so months. At least at no time was I in danger of flooding since one of the pumps was always operational. And to give them credit I had no issues getting the warranty replacement parts shipped.

Guess what I am getting at is to always check your pumps.

Bachinator
Premium
join:2014-01-25
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rfhar
With warmer weather, the sump pump came out of hibernation tonight. It last ran December 21.

It's 8 years old, one year past its warranty expiration. I know, I know, I should replace it. It's backed up with a Venturi (water driven) pump. It did its job on December 22 when the power went out from an ice storm.

A flood detector is placed about a foot away from the sump crock, tested periodically. Plus I've got a portable pump and garden hoses ready if all else fails (well, excepting a power outage).

The current pump is the 5th in 36 years here. They do break. The last one to go had a cracked impeller housing leading to a whirlpool effect in the sump crock.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
reply to rfhar
Spring thaw? Still a couple months away for us.

DarkHelmet

join:2014-02-21
reply to rfhar
No pump needed for me.

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to rfhar
I have a Zoller that was installed shortly after I moved into my current home in '03. I replaced the switch a few yrs back. I also have a water back up pump (installed same time as Zoller) that saw some action once when the power went out during a round of thunder storms. I try to clean out the muck in the hole once a year and check the pumps at that time as well. I think I did it last year in April so it's coming due again.

valvoj

join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY
reply to rfhar
Guess this must a regional thing. Never seen a house with a basement without 1 around here.