spc
Search similar:

uniqs
codydog
join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

codydog

Netflix / Verizon dispute hits the big time and boils over

A bit sarcastic but this site has a wide readership.

Heres the article - »www.zerohedge.com/news/2 ··· watchabl
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

2 recommendations

serge87

said by Article :

She couldn't play an episode of "Breaking Bad" without it stopping, she said, even after her family upgraded their FiOS Internet service to a faster, more expensive package.

Mrs. Zellinger said she plans to drop her Netflix service soon if the picture doesn't improve, though she will likely hold on to her upgraded FiOS subscription.

I bolded the relevant parts that will put a fire under Netflix's ass to get those transit links upgraded. Although people will learn to live without Netflix, Netflix will not survive longterm without subscribers

Also, when will people stop referring to the Netflix streaming mess as evil ISP throttling? It is NOT. A saturated transit link's bandwidth overconsumption is the responsibility of the sender to initiate action, not the ISPs.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

Um - no. In these cases, Verizon is likely letting the links get saturated between them and whoever netflix buys their bandwidth from which the last I heard was cogent. Verizon and cogent peer together. Under peering agreements, the connections need to be equal sided as far as traffic. With how cogent sells their bandwidth, their sending far more traffic than their receiving from their peering partners. This makes the peering agreement only beneficial to cogent. What needs to happen is cogent is going to have to start paying other providers instead of the current royalty-free peering method

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

norm

said by kevnich24:

Um - no. In these cases, Verizon is likely letting the links get saturated between them and whoever netflix buys their bandwidth from which the last I heard was cogent. Verizon and cogent peer together. Under peering agreements, the connections need to be equal sided as far as traffic. With how cogent sells their bandwidth, their sending far more traffic than their receiving from their peering partners. This makes the peering agreement only beneficial to cogent. What needs to happen is cogent is going to have to start paying other providers instead of the current royalty-free peering method

I generally see Level 3 but sometimes see Telia or LLNW. It's awfully sad that Level 3 and Verizon links are becoming overly saturated. It disrupts a lot of other things.
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

1 recommendation

UofMiamiGrad to codydog

Premium Member

to codydog
said by codydog:

A bit sarcastic but this site has a wide readership.

Heres the article - »www.zerohedge.com/news/2 ··· watchabl

It is on the front page (A1) of the Wall Street Journal today. Looks like snippets on zerohedge site are from the WSJ article, i.e Jen Zellinger. A subscription is needed to read the article but here is the link:

»online.wsj.com/news/arti ··· jemITP_h

"Netflix Inc. subscribers have seen a lot more spinning wheels lately as they wait for videos to load, thanks to a standoff deep in the Internet.

The online-video service has been at odds with Verizon Communications Inc. and other broadband providers for months over how much Netflix streaming content they will carry without being paid additional fees.

Now the long simmering conflict has heated up and is slowing Netflix, in particular, on Verizon's fiber-optic FiOS service, where Netflix says its average prime-time speeds dropped by 14% last month. The slowdown comes as Netflix is rolling out the new season of its Emmy-winning series "House of Cards."

The dispute involves the plumbing behind parts of the Internet that are invisible to consumers. As more people stream movies and television, that infrastructure is getting strained, intensifying the debate over who should pay for upgrades needed to satisfy America's online-video habit."
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to norm

to norm
said by norm:

I generally see Level 3 but sometimes see Telia or LLNW. It's awfully sad that Level 3 and Verizon links are becoming overly saturated. It disrupts a lot of other things.

Coming from the tech side myself, I honestly see both sides to this. As a business, when verizon enters into a peering agreement with another Tier1 (All Tier1 providers peer with every other Tier1 provider), the relationship has to be symmetrical as far as traffic is concerned. If traffic is not symmetrical, it means one provider is overselling and sending too much traffic which throws off the balance. Before video streaming became so much of the traffic, this worked out fine. Cogent is selling bw so cheap to customers, they're all signing up with them really fast but they're peering partners don't see any of that revenue but every 10gb peering port they bring up DOES cost them something.

So from verizon as a business, it costs them to add more peering ports to receive this huge influx of traffic but they see no revenue from it where cogent is getting all the revenue, so Verizon wants cogent to start paying them for the traffic because it's not a balanced agreement - which is where we're at now.

And it's not just verizon customers seeing this, comcast and several others are starting to have the same issues. Basically any customers going through a Tier1 ISP will start seeing these issues crop up with video streaming as more and more of the peering points between these providers get saturated.

My honest opinion, I do think cogent and other providers do need to start paying their peering providers if the traffic is not balanced out, it only makes sense. But in the end, it's the customers that are going to feel the effects until something between the various companies get worked out that has the effect of bringing up more connections on the back end of the network to ease the strain.
System

to codydog

Anon

to codydog
This topic has been closed. Reason: More suitable topic exists

See: »Netflix unable to stream HD in Northeast?