Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nwrainmaker

join:2014-01-23
Broadbent, OR

Throttling Software

Hiya Folks,
Do any of you know of software that is available that can be used to throttle my connection to Evdo speeds as the increase in speed on 4g has me worried about going over my data limit.
I already installed Adblock and the Youtube control program extensions into my browser but I can't seem to get my usage down to an acceptable level.
My next step will be shutting the device(Pantech Hotspot) off for periods of time to see if that helps as I have not seen any switch to Evdo within the settings.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
what model Jetpack are you using?

Google123

@suddenlink.net
reply to nwrainmaker
The 4620 has options to set it to either LTE or CDMA only. Does your Pantech not offer these options in its config menus? I would check all options of the configuration settings. Might be something there.

nwrainmaker

join:2014-01-23
Broadbent, OR
reply to Jim_in_VA
I am using the Jetpack MHS291LVW and as far as I can tell there is no setting to use evdo only.

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN
reply to nwrainmaker
You can try NetLimiter - »www.netlimiter.com/

Goliath2k
Premium
join:2013-12-28
united state
reply to nwrainmaker
Use Firefox and install FlashBlock. That makes it so you have to click on something in order to get Flash videos to play.

And for YouTube, always set your quality down to 144, 240, or 360p.

Same for Netflix, you can drop the quality down to the lowest in the settings.

Unfortunately, a lot of the other streaming sites don't allow you to adjust your streaming quality, but there may be ways to tweak your user agent so it thinks you're coming from a mobile device and it might give you the lower quality that way.

That NetLimiter software Dexter 1992 linked looks pretty nifty!

Purged

@spcsdns.net
the name of the game is to cause you to go over and then charge you

then blame you for going over and straining the VZ Network "beyond the demand that we had anticipated"

It's the LandLord - Serf model that has been around for centuries......

You and your family are starving, you have a bow and arrow, see the deer running on the Lords 10,000 acre estate...shoot deer ....feed family. OOOOPS get hung from the nearest tree.

Basically the same thing.....But Hey This is America...din't we like fight like a back in the the the the what year was that 1976 ...yeh the Declaration of 1976....ya know Dude...like a hunerrate years ago.

Hey that's good bud.

HEY...How come Frank Underwood is a pixiysquared like...what's with that stall, why is that little clock spinning. (toke)

What's a net newwwwtrality, what does Eff See See stand for?

Nothing
Expand your moderator at work

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
reply to Purged

Re: Throttling Software

sorry, don't understand your post

Brent

@leaseweb.com
This isn't really what you're describing, but it helps me. It's a compression proxy that reduced the size of images being transferred to save bandwidth. It can also be used to block access to certain domains (I.e. YouTube.com).

www.cproxy.com
Expand your moderator at work

Purged

@spcsdns.net
reply to nwrainmaker

Re: Throttling Software

this week something new. I am running into more "video" sites that no longer allow a choice of "speed". Just watching the weather feed from my local TV station webcast is now eating up twice as much bandwith as it did last week. And this is for a 3 min clip. I don't need to get the weather report in HD.

There is no way to stop the bandwidth creep. Except for Not using the internet....LOL

Purged

@spcsdns.net
Evening 6PM local TV weather report viewed on each stations website.

posting this because it just so happened that this evening 2 different stations both had Webcasts for the weather Exactly 2:38 in length. So I watched a second station as a test.

Each Website "chose" the bandwidth

Station 1: Time 2:38 used 14.5MB

Station 2: time 2:38 used 8.5 MB

diugo

join:2014-01-13
Yuma, AZ
kudos:1
reply to nwrainmaker
Websites often select video resolution based upon the speed of the actual connection between your device and their server. Ergo, if the same exact video is mirrored on multiple sites, selecting a slower server and/or more distant site should, in theory, result in lower res and thus lower data usage.