spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SnakeEyes
join:2005-05-18
Johnston, IA

SnakeEyes

Wait, they charge for wifi?

So I've come to find out this morning, according to a Mediacom rep, that my internet outage was actually due to a network sweep that turned my wifi/router functionality off because I wasn't paying for it. I have never paid a wifi fee since the day I got a wifi capable modem from Mediacom years ago. Yet another case of nickel and diming people. $3.95 for something I can easily do myself if I dig my linksys out of storage.

How is this possible that I've been a wifi user all this time and never charged for it and only now being told there is a charge? This is way shady on mediacom's part.

I'm tired of Mediacom continuing to pay more and more to Mediacom. I'm about to cancel.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

It was not meant to be shady. We have a system that audits modems and will shut off customers who are getting a service and not paying for it. For example, if you are getting HBO and not paying for it, when the audit occurs it will remove HBO from your digital box. This was the same case. My guess is either someone at the local office or a tech in the field gave you a wireless capable modem when they weren't supposed to (this could have been done b/c of limited stock, only modem he had on his truck, etc.). When this occurs, the tech is supposed to have Tier 2 baseline the gateway so it only functions as a modem. If this wasn't done, it basically means you were getting the wireless for free when you weren't paying for it. The system did a sweep last night and caught it and now the wireless is disabled. This is not a new charge in any way, as we have been charging for wireless for over five years now. It looks to be just a miscommunication between the person who gave you the modem. I apologize for the confusion.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to SnakeEyes

to SnakeEyes
Gotta love how ISPs screw you for every single thing they can. $4/month for wifi? Gimme a break.
SnakeEyes
Johnston, IA

SnakeEyes

Ok, they are now telling me it actually takes 24-48 to get wifi restored on the modem because it has to go to Tier 2. This just seems ridiculous. Though no fault of my own, my wifi was disabled and now I can't have it back right away?

Would have thought this would be a case for escalating.

This just keeps getting better
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

2 recommendations

GLIMMER

its amazing to me they already charge a $5 modem rental why nail the customer for the 3.95 when mediacom is already getting the 5 bucks. There is a reason mediacom is last in almost all customer service surveys. The is a prime example.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to SnakeEyes

Premium Member

to SnakeEyes
I am showing this has already been activated under your email address and default password. I will PM you the details.
alarson83
join:2007-01-06
West Des Moines, IA

2 recommendations

alarson83 to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

It was not meant to be shady. We have a system that audits modems and will shut off customers who are getting a service and not paying for it. For example, if you are getting HBO and not paying for it, when the audit occurs it will remove HBO from your digital box. This was the same case. My guess is either someone at the local office or a tech in the field gave you a wireless capable modem when they weren't supposed to (this could have been done b/c of limited stock, only modem he had on his truck, etc.). When this occurs, the tech is supposed to have Tier 2 baseline the gateway so it only functions as a modem. If this wasn't done, it basically means you were getting the wireless for free when you weren't paying for it. The system did a sweep last night and caught it and now the wireless is disabled. This is not a new charge in any way, as we have been charging for wireless for over five years now. It looks to be just a miscommunication between the person who gave you the modem. I apologize for the confusion.

Charging for wifi, no matter how you try to spin it, is shady.

I remember when the MediacomChad account used to not try to throw out this kind of garbage.
SnakeEyes
Johnston, IA

1 edit

SnakeEyes to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

I am showing this has already been activated under your email address and default password. I will PM you the details.

Thank you Chad.

Now that they have "fixed" things for me: I've noticed Mediacom, like all bad companies, still feels the need to brand the user experience in a terrible way versus what was originally there. They've got their own config page that you are redirected to when typing 192.168.1.1 and now I can't reach the router's real config. Is there a way to get to this? Mediacom's doesn't even allow for a Mac Address filter, connection limit, or ip range, so that I can make my network even more secure.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to SnakeEyes

Premium Member

to SnakeEyes
WOW! So Mediacom makes a hardware install mistake, then when Mediacom discovers it's own mistake, they just shutoff a paying customer? I guess it's just too much bother for Mediacom to call/notify the customer and explain/give customer options.
ghosti
join:2014-02-01
united state

ghosti

Apparently it was too difficult to send a letter stating "during a recent audit, your account was identified as using the mediacom provided wireless gateway, however your account was not setup properly as there is a fee associated with this service. In order to continue utilizing the wireless features, you will need to begin paying $3.95/month. Please call x by 3/1 to complete this. If you prefer to use your own wifi, we will automatically shut off the feature on 3/1 unless you contact us prior to 3/1.

How hard was that? They would have saved a bunch of time by avoiding a service interruption, the time for the customer to complain, the time to re enable the service and avoid the complete loss of customer satisfaction by making them go through this whole mess. Yet another reason mediacoms ratings are so low, they seem to go out of their way to make customers unhappy. I know bainch mentioned satisfaction was higher for customers less than three years...of course it is, you charge them 1/2 to 2/3 less than customers of 15 plus years like us. My internet is $49/month yet if I sign up as a new customer, then its $15/month. Way to slap those that have paid their bill for 18 years right in the junk.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

2 recommendations

danawhitaker to SnakeEyes

Premium Member

to SnakeEyes
Why are you going to give them money for this? Just get your Linksys out of storage. Complacent customers who will just fork over money are the reason that companies continue to get by with charging fees for things that shouldn't have them.
SnakeEyes
Johnston, IA

SnakeEyes

I'm not, they gave me 3 free months which I use for the next few days until I get my router out of storage.
SeaFoam
join:2009-05-20
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti US-8
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

SeaFoam to SnakeEyes

to SnakeEyes
They did the same thing to me, the same night. Then told me 24-48 hours - when I needed it for work the next morning.

That was a middle of the night trip to pick up a new router.

PS - please get rid of the outsourced garbage support. I hate talking to them, because they have no idea what the hell is going on.
hdtv00
join:2003-06-13
Silvis, IL

1 recommendation

hdtv00 to SnakeEyes

to SnakeEyes
Yea you all didn't see my rant on this months ago. They gave me 3 free months too....oh wait they took it back instantly and billed me anyway for it. Every time Chad fixed it they billed me anyway, now that's shady.

But it didn't matter seriously $4 for changing a setting in device you provided for wi fi, that's over the line fuck them I bought my own exactly like their model for $40.

I better just quit now because every time I think of it it burns my ass.
WhatHappened
join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

Wait, so you're saying that if you provide your own WiFi enabled cablemodem that Mediacom will charge you to use enable the WiFi on your own property? That is crazy. If they just left the manufacturer's web config screen you can enabled it yourself.

When I rented a WiFi enabled modem from them I was able to enable/disable the WiFi at will. I returned the modem because it had a firewall/NAT that couldn't be disabled so I could use my own firewall/NAT and Wireless gateways.
garn91
join:2005-01-15
Ankeny, IA

garn91 to SnakeEyes

to SnakeEyes
This thread serves as a reminder to me why Mediascam will never, ever, see 1 cent of my money. To charge customers for wi-fi access on wi-fi capable modems is ridiculous.
hdtv00
Silvis, IL

hdtv00 to WhatHappened

to WhatHappened
No they only charge if you're using their modem. Although when I did buy mine, they still continued to charge me and every single time Chad fixed it they just went ahead and billed me for it the next month. I gave up so I got my own. It also took two tries to get them to stop charging me since I had my own modem too.

It's always something with them , they can never leave well enough alone. I also logged into theirs when I Had it and turned it on and off at will. They never had to activate it for me, but I can see how lots of people don't know how to do it.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

said by hdtv00:

I also logged into theirs when I Had it and turned it on and off at will. They never had to activate it for me, but I can see how lots of people don't know how to do it.

That is no longer possible, local router login is completely disabled with the latest firmware.
Expand your moderator at work
63475675 (banned)
join:2014-01-06

63475675 (banned) to garn91

to garn91

Re: Wait, they charge for wifi?

Yeah, it sure is. Notice how Chad hasn't voiced his opinion on how the OP was rudely cut off from service without the courtesy of a brief letter or phone call explaining the situation, that IS OUTRAGEOUS! If that was me would terminate my account IMMEDIATELY and let their retention rep know why. Some times you have to stand on principle, even if it means you get DSL.
hdtv00
Silvis, IL

hdtv00

Ha they deleted my other post truth hurts doesn't it mediaCON. For the record the only real thing OFFENSIVE is mediacons so called service. And the ONLY thing that probably keeps half of us here is Chad's fixing of mediacons screwups.

They also just turned mine off no warning or notice at all. And again like I said they gave me promotion for 3 months free, and yet went ahead and charged me every since time instead of honoring their promo. Chad fixed it they'd just recharge the fee the very next bill. I gave up , bought my own modem/router/gateway exact one they supply now they get nothing.

Outrageous is an understatement, doesn't even cover a fraction of the issues I've had to deal with on mediacon.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

Do other ISPs charge for wireless service on their cable modems/routers? I've only dealt with two ISPs in the past few years (Mediacom and a telephone ISP when my wife's work took her to another part of Iowa for four months and we needed to set her up with internet/TV in the house she was renting), and they both charge extra for wireless.

I don't see any reason to question an ISP charging for wireless service as long as they are also taking on the responsibility of insuring that your wireless is as secure as can be. If they aren't taking on that responsibility, and are still leaving that even partially in the user's hands, then they probably shouldn't be charging either.
v12dock
join:2011-05-21
Chillicothe, IL

v12dock to SnakeEyes

to SnakeEyes
How is charging for wifi shady... If you don't want to pay the fee than get your own wireless router. Mediacom is charging you for setting up and supporting the wifi.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

I think it falls into the same idea of charging for DVR service. It's a ridiculous money grab.
v12dock
join:2011-05-21
Chillicothe, IL

v12dock

Again if you don't want to pay for DVR service then build your own. You are just paying a convenience fee.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

The difference between the WiFi & DVR is that it is much easier for the average consumer to get a WiFi router than it is to build their own DVR. Tech-savvy people like most of us would be the only ones building our own DVRs.
alarson83
join:2007-01-06
West Des Moines, IA

1 recommendation

alarson83 to v12dock

to v12dock
Because it costs them precisely nothing to deliver this 'service'?
kb0nly
join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

kb0nly to SnakeEyes

to SnakeEyes
These companies make a lot of money off of equipment and feature charges... Buy your own modem, $5 a month for 12 months is $60!! You can get a good Motorola Surfboard SB6180 for under $40, in less than a year its paid for itself. Buy a router, they don't have the latest models anyway, most of the Mediacom provided wireless modems i have seen are G wireless at best, you can buy a good N wireless router for less than $60, again it pays for itself in a year in saved costs, and its going to be a lot better than the one they provide!

DSL sucks.. Period. I see a lot of posts on here about DSL... In my area its up to 105mb service with Mediacom, or a pitiful 3mb service with DSL. 3mb don't do jack for me.

BAINCH
MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY

BAINCH to alarson83

MVM

to alarson83
said by alarson83:

Because it costs them precisely nothing to deliver this 'service'?

I would disagree with your assertion. We buy the device. We will replace the device if it stops functioning. We will provide technical support for any issues the customer experiences. Lastly we provide a cloud-based TR69 solution for router management which we believe simplifies configuration and changes, enables advanced parental-control functions (including managed blacklist) and the ability to move the configuration seamlessly to other devices. The features cost both CapX and operational expense to provide. While I understand why technical-savvy customers would prefer or find it more cost effective to purchase and manage the device themselves, for many customers the managed solution is welcome.
BAINCH

BAINCH to kb0nly

MVM

to kb0nly
said by kb0nly:

Mediacom provided wireless modems i have seen are G wireless at best

All devices we provide are 2x2 (and now new 3x3) mimo Wifi routers with 802.11n.