spc
uniqs
joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo to Cabby

to Cabby

Re: What Comcast's proposed acquisition of TWC would mean for X1

tell them to put in the appointment and tech notes that you want want the Arris XG1 if they have it. also tell them you want to swop out your non-dvr boxes for X1 companion boxes.
Cabby
join:2013-03-25

Cabby

said by joejoejeo:

tell them to put in the appointment and tech notes that you want want the Arris XG1 if they have it. also tell them you want to swop out your non-dvr boxes for X1 companion boxes.

We're not off to a good start. I logged in to my account to check my bill and noticed "No Scheduled Appointments". I immediately called and it's as if I never spoke to anyone yesterday, so had to start all over and my date got pushed almost a week out.... Anyhow, I asked he note the Arris XG1 as a preference in my account, which he said he did, but he also sounded like he's never heard of Arris and may have just been humoring me. As with all tech support, I knew a lot more about X1 than he did and I called the X1 tech support line direct. So disappointing start so far... good thing I noticed that or I would have been sitting home from 3 to 5PM for nothing.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

You should chat with them and ask them to put on the notes that you want the arris/Motorola XG1 and also you want to swap out your non DVRs for the x1 companion boxes. Also have them put in the notes you want a Comcast tech and not a contractor.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

2 edits

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

I would like to think going forward that Comcast will be using these new Arris XG1 boxes with the Blue power light when installing X1 over the older Pace boxes with the green power light? I know my brother just moved into a new house and Comcast indeed gave him the new Arris XG1 with the Blue power light. I called Comcast about these newer boxes and asked if I could have my older pace boxes swapped out for the new on. And after VERY long annoying phone call she set up the tech call and also said she put a note in the order to bring the new Arris XG1. With a lot of luck the tech actually reads the note and brings the new Arris XG1.

Main reason I want the Arris XG1 is because of the report that those annoying audio drop outs are completely fixed. And hearing that everything seems smoother overall with the interface does not hurt either

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by gate1975mlm:

I would like to think going forward that Comcast will be using these new Arris XG1 boxes with the Blue power light when installing X1 over the older Pace boxes with the green power light?

From this article on the the MCN site today, it sounds like ARRIS has been shipping quite a few of their XG1 boxes to Comcast lately:

Set-Top Sales Surge At Arris In Q4
Shipments Of RDK-Powered ‘XG1' Boxes To Comcast Contributed To The Rise

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - February 20, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· 4/148405
quote:
“[T]he Comcast XG1 came on very strong at the end of the year following the successful completion of product qualification,” Arris chairman and CEO Bob Stanzione said on Wednesday afternoon’s earnings call.

The XG1 “played a nice factor in the quarter,” added Larry Robinson, president, customer premises equipment, for Arris. ...
Cabby

Cabby to joejoejeo

to joejoejeo
said by joejoejeo:

You should chat with them and ask them to put on the notes that you want the arris/Motorola XG1 and also you want to swap out your non DVRs for the x1 companion boxes. Also have them put in the notes you want a Comcast tech and not a contractor.

In my several subsequent calls with them, I've been told that I will basically "get what I get" because they will have "what performs best for my area"

I've had to call 5 times since I made the appointment 2 days to ago to fix billing errors as a result of making the appointment.

Why does everyone suck at their job?
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis to telcodad

to telcodad
I can confirm the Arris/Moto XG1 is now being used in the Chicago area.
said by telcodad:

said by gate1975mlm:

I would like to think going forward
that Comcast will be using these new Arris XG1 boxes with the Blue power light when installing X1 over the older Pace boxes with the green power light?

From this article on the the MCN site today, it sounds like ARRIS has been shipping quite a few of their XG1 boxes to Comcast lately:

quote:
“[T]he Comcast XG1 came on very strong at the end of the year following the successful completion of product qualification,” Arris chairman and CEO Bob Stanzione said on Wednesday afternoon’s earnings call.

The XG1 “played a nice factor in the quarter,” added Larry Robinson, president, customer premises equipment, for Arris. ...

joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo to Cabby

to Cabby
you should not call them you should chat with them first as thats how i found out how to get the best teer 1 support »www.comcastsupport.com/C ··· ted.aspx
Cabby

Cabby

said by joejoejeo:

you should not call them you should chat with them first as thats how i found out how to get the best teer 1 support »www.comcastsupport.com/C ··· ted.aspx

My chats resulted in them telling me X1 wasn't available at all in my area, for new or existing customers, which is clearly wrong.

For what it's worth, I was on the phone with AT&T addressing a different issue, and the tech on the phone indicated he used to work for Comcast and everyone there are complete buffoons.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

I would have to agree with the tech from At&t. 95% of the men and women who handle the calls at Comcast are completely clueless lol

I do not work for Comcast and almost everytime I call it amazes me how I know more about what's going on with Comcast products and issues then they do lol
kb1
join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN

kb1 to novanosis

to novanosis
said by novanosis:

I can confirm the Arris/Moto XG1 is now being used in the Chicago area.

said by telcodad:

said by gate1975mlm:

I would like to think going forward
that Comcast will be using these new Arris XG1 boxes with the Blue power light when installing X1 over the older Pace boxes with the green power light?

quote:

novanosis,

I will be having the Arris/Moto XG1 installed this Saturday. How has X1 and the Arris box been working for you? I am part of the Greater
Chicago region
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis

I do not have the Arris box myself , I am still using the Pace model and will continue to use it as I have no problems.
I have not heard any problems with the new Arris model just yet.
said by kb1:

novanosis,

I will be having the Arris/Moto XG1 installed this Saturday. How has X1 and the Arris box been working for you? I am part of the Greater
Chicago region

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

New XRE and STB Builds on DVR!

Just noticed that my DVR updated this afternoon:

New XRE Server Build: 1.39.03 Dated: 3/14/14
New STB Build: PX001AN_1.3.2p2s2 Dated: 3/7/14

This was the 1st DVR STB build update in 3 months.

And, as was noted - the HD channel only filter is back! Hit GUIDE twice.

NOTE: This is only on the DVR so far - HD boxes still on 2/27/14 XRE build.
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink

said by SeattleMatt:

And, as was noted - the HD channel only filter is back! Hit GUIDE twice.

Wow! Miracles do happen!

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

New XRE and STB Builds on HD Boxes!

Well this morning the HD boxes took the update:

New XRE Server Build: 1.39.03 Dated: 3/14/14
New STB Build: PR150BN_1.3.2p2s1 Dated: 3/6/14

Seemed very snappy and responsive last night (at least on the DVR).

I really wish we knew of a date when we can expect to see the "real" Dashboard that they keep showing in trade shows.

Other than that - not sure how much more they can change the current version.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by SeattleMatt:

I really wish we knew of a date when we can expect to see the "real" Dashboard that they keep showing in trade shows.

Other than that - not sure how much more they can change the current version.

There is some news/info provided on upcoming X1 Platform features/services in this article on the MCN site today:

Next TV: Comcast Testing TV Everywhere Authentication On Apple TV, Roku Devices
MSO Exploring It With ‘Certain Programmers,’ Comcast’s Matt Strauss Says

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - March 19, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· s/148956

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

One Complaint

One thing Comcast REALLY has to stop doing...

All of my boxes rolled back to the older XRE build yesterday. Comcast really has to stop allowing this rollout / rollback nonsense from continuing.

You have a new feature for 10 hours and then it's gone. To a normal customer - they're all going to be like WTF?
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink

said by SeattleMatt:

One thing Comcast REALLY has to stop doing...

All of my boxes rolled back to the older XRE build yesterday. Comcast really has to stop allowing this rollout / rollback nonsense from continuing.

You have a new feature for 10 hours and then it's gone. To a normal customer - they're all going to be like WTF?

I guess having your favorite feature for a day is better than having your box break. While I find Comcast’s technology quite poor, it’s possible this is how they pilot their firmware (try rolling back an app update on your mobile device!)