I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

GTX 770 PC in Mac Pro 2010

So I posted this over at MR, maybe you guys might have some ideas too;

I have a EVGA 770 I have the two Apple 6pin cables off the motherboard connected to the card: Mac Pro Mid 2010

Model: 04G-P4-3773-BR

One thing I've noticed is it does chime, but after a minute or so my speakers which are just connected to USB just click repetitively as if the computers restarting or still starting up. I also cannot see the mac pro via remote desktop.

I've confirmed via ping that it's in a reboot loop, it comes online to ping for a few seconds then the speakers click and ping stops responding. I've bare boned it (removed all but my system drive) to make sure that it's not too much power on the PSU with my other drives.

If I remove the NVidia card the system starts up headless just fine (no video card or with the previous video card starts up). But with the new NVidia card installed it just goes into an infinite loop

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

That is a PC card not a Mac one? They used to have to use different firmware.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Looking up the model # it appears it's just a regular PC card...

You need this one, EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition 2GB, which has the dual firmware needed to work on a PC or a Mac Pro.

»www.evga.com/articles/00730/

Elite
Kiss My Ass
join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT

Elite to Edrick

to Edrick
Perhaps you can flash different firmware (probably in a different machine)?

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

These cards and many other PC cards have been confirmed to work in Mac Pros stock as PC cards. I've seen many others saying this same 770 card works. So I'm hoping someone who's familiar with using PC cards in Mac can chime in. The only thing it wont do is show the EFI Boot screen.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to Edrick

to Edrick
Don't you need the 6pin to 8 pin adaptor cable similar to this? »www.amazon.com/StarTech- ··· c1001-20

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

Someone over at MR has said for this specific card the 770 you do need all 8 pins and not just 6, so I've purchased a 6 pin to 8 pin that'll be here today. I accidentally bought a 4 pin to 8 pin yesterday. Always figures when you're excited about getting something working it takes forever.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

So you're trying to use this card under OS X or in windows via bootcamp?

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

OS X

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Edrick:

OS X

I dont think you'll get it to work under OS X unless it has a mac firmware.

Do you happen to have a Windows 7 or 8 install CD by any chance? see if it boots into the installer if you hold C after the chime...

That way you could rule out the connections...

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

Edrick

Premium Member

Up and running now full support, (except boot screen) alls it needed was the 8 pin power. Now I can finally play back and work with RAW 2.5k video footage. Brings some more life to this 2010 mac pro

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Really... cool..

so is it only this specific card? Whats so special about it, or is it that there is a driver for this particular nvidia chip in OS X?

KeepOnRockin
Music Lover Forever
Premium Member
join:2002-11-08
Beaverton, OR

KeepOnRockin to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick
Glad it's up and running.

I've tried similar things with a PC version of the HD5770 and GTX280 in a 2006 Mac Pro. As long as the OS X version has drivers for the series of cards, it may work. Granted, the GTX 280 worked better than the 5770 I was using due to more compatible drivers in OS X.

One thing you don't get with a PC card in a Mac pro is the EFI boot/splash screen unless the card is flashed to mac.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick
Any of the 660, 670, 680 work, as well as the 760 and 770 natively. You just dont get the boot screen, but OSX has the drivers for it.

Made it a lot easier for us hackintoshers!

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to Edrick

to Edrick
said by not quite right:

Don't you need the 6pin to 8 pin adaptor cable similar to this? »www.amazon.com/StarTech- ··· c1001-20

You're welcome ...