uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Transfering Photos Back to an iPhone

It looks like I need to transfer photos from my computer back to my iPhone and they need to be the highest resolution possible.

I'm currently running Mavericks 10.9 on a Mac Mini and iOS 7.0.4 on an iPhone 4s so I don't think Air Drop will work... or am I mistaken?

I know I can email from one to the other, and I have the app "Transfer" Can anyone suggest a better solution? I've noticed in the past that iTunes downsizes photos so that's not a good choice.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

Dumb question....why do you need high resolution images on your iPhone? Why not upload the high res photos to Dropbox, etc. for 'enhanced' viewing if/when you need it. The higher resolution images might not appear any different than low res on the tiny screen (or at least, that's the way I see it).

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Stacy

said by Stacy:

I've noticed in the past that iTunes downsizes photos so that's not a good choice.

That might've been true in the iPod days, but are you sure that's still the case on iOS? I don't see anything in the iTunes settings for photos about scaling them down.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to haroldo

That's true, until you zoom in

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to Thinkdiff

A year or two ago I tried to transfer a 12 megapixel image, shot with my Nikon D300 via iTunes, so I could use one of the iPad apps on it. The image I wound up with was something like 1200 pixels wide, down from about 4200 pixels. So I contacted the app developer and they said to email it to myself or use some other way to transfer it.

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

said by Stacy:

I've noticed in the past that iTunes downsizes photos so that's not a good choice.

That might've been true in the iPod days, but are you sure that's still the case on iOS? I don't see anything in the iTunes settings for photos about scaling them down.

I think this is still the case. When I sync with iTunes and it copies my high res photos over from the computer to the iPhone and iPad, it always "optimizes" them (apples term I think for scaling them down). If you think about it, you'd fill up your space really fast if you loaded them any other way.
--
GuruGuy

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to Stacy

Upload to dropbox, then download from there ...