jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

looks lke a new modem is on the way out

looks like a new modem is on the way out and it's expensive.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -390-004

fghfy57678
@cox.net

fghfy57678

Anon

It's a modem and router so it should be that expensive.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to jchambers28

to jchambers28
A gateway...meh.

Im more excited about the SB6183

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· 183.html

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

where do I get one and does cox support 16 channels?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

looks like a new modem is on the way out and it's expensive.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -390-004

Big deal. This Gateway model has been out for at least a year and doesn't have the benefits of modems that do 16x4. Although, the hardware could support it if sent the right firmware upgrade.

I'm with Harry, The 6183 is more exciting. It just sucks they haven't released them to retail yet.

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki to jchambers28

to jchambers28
I'd rather to wait for DOCSIS 3.1 spec gateway device so I pass over this new release gateway device. thanks for letting us know about it.

In DOCSIS 3.1 spec provides up to 10Gbps down and up to 1Gbps or 2Gbps up.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

I don't even want the gateway modems I have a Asus RTac66U and happy with it.
Guzzler
join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ

Guzzler to jchambers28

to jchambers28
I don't recommend 'combo' devices. If one part of it dies (say the Wi-Fi), then you're stuck with an expensive modem and you have to go buy a wireless router.

Just keep them separate, imho.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to jchambers28

to jchambers28
I was waiting for a docsis 3.1 modem to replace my current one (which I think might be the cause of my present issues) but got tired of being dropped from game servers so I just dropped $60 on a new SB6141 that should be here in a few days.

I figure that with any luck, by the time docsis 3.1 gets deployed we'll already have Google Fiber here in Phoenix.

Maybe. Maybe not.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to fghfy57678

Premium Member

to fghfy57678
has moca also
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh

I gotta say as a network enthusiast, I really don't like moca. It's like powerline networking, only more expensive and potentially less secure, and its range is even longer than wifi (which is a bad thing in this case.) That and shared media collision domains in general (except wifi, which uses collision avoidance and isn't intended for the same purpose as wirelines) are so 1990's.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· EscL0g7Q

No dd-wrt support? how do u update the firmware for the router portion?

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight

Anon

I don't think you can but regardless gateway modems are never a good idea. I don't know why people buy them :/ Keep the modem and the router separate. Buy or rent a 8x4 Cisco or Motorola Modem and get a good N or AC router and be done with it. The firmware for these gateways are usually awful and if it dies then you have no internet connection at all. My ISP (Charter) really doesn't recommend gateways anymore to begin with.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

I agree. Not only are doubling the chance of failure, but having the modem inside the gateway increases EMI and thermal issues. Your also sharing flash,RAM and CPU resources.

Then there are the privacy issues of letting your ISP control your router firmware. I don't think Cox would go through the hassle of manipulating the firmware in such a way to allow dynamic throttling or monitor web access for advertisement reasons...but they could. That is why I don't like how Cox removed some of the features like QoS and DDNS, and then didn't make release notes for these changes public. Im not even sure if these changes are limited to Cox own equipment, since many gateways are purchased at retail.