spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mike lee
@rr.com

Mike lee

Anon

Time warner modem cost issue.

Just got new service with time warner. They have this box that handles phone and internet modem in one unit. Why are they still charging 5.99? Obviously they won't charge you the rental fee for the phone part, but charge u a fee for the internet part.

I purchased a Motorola 6141, and requested to use it and remove 5.99. So I go and try to replace this dually box for a phone only box. And they tell me it's the same box. So why are they still charging 5.99 when u need the box for phone but can't charge a fee for it, but add a 5.99 when u have it activated for Internet? I'm seeing a company being greedy.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium Member
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

1 recommendation

unknvoip

Premium Member

said by Mike lee :

I'm seeing a company being greedy.

Pretty much.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

Matt7 to Mike lee

to Mike lee
said by Mike lee :

Just got new service with time warner. They have this box that handles phone and internet modem in one unit. Why are they still charging 5.99? Obviously they won't charge you the rental fee for the phone part, but charge u a fee for the internet part.

I purchased a Motorola 6141, and requested to use it and remove 5.99. So I go and try to replace this dually box for a phone only box. And they tell me it's the same box. So why are they still charging 5.99 when u need the box for phone but can't charge a fee for it, but add a 5.99 when u have it activated for Internet? I'm seeing a company being greedy.

You keep the eMTA they just disable the internet (DATA) side of things if you use your own Data modem.

They can charge a fee for the internet modem rental because they can... no different than the high fees for DVRs from Dish, Direct, AT&T (Dish even charges fees on DVRs that people purchase outright "you must pay a fee to use this as a DVR").

It's the way business is ... either accept it or just don't do business with the company. It might be "greedy" but it's totally legal.

FLATLINE
join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY

FLATLINE to Mike lee

to Mike lee
Or get rid of the worthless landline. 1980 called, they want their home phone tethered to a coiled cable back. Lol I'm sorry I really am but seriously. Don't you have a cell phone?
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

1 recommendation

scooper

said by FLATLINE:

Or get rid of the worthless landline. 1980 called, they want their home phone tethered to a coiled cable back. Lol I'm sorry I really am but seriously. Don't you have a cell phone?

Obviously YOU live in a location where cell service in the house isn't a big deal. I haven't found ANY provider that works real well in MY house - that's why I dropped POTS but went to VOIP.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

3 recommendations

Happydude32 to FLATLINE

Premium Member

to FLATLINE
said by FLATLINE:

When people make statements like that it really pisses me off. You do realize cell phone reception is not great all over, right? What is it that people do not understand about the fact that cell phone service in not reliable in some rural areas. AT&T has poor to nonexistent service in my house, Verizon was okay in the front of the house, in the back I’d lose reception. Back with Sprint and service has got better, but still not reliable enough to make me feel comfortable as my only phone. Put a tower in my backyard and we’ll talk, otherwise I will never get rid of my home phone service from TW.
horkboy
join:2005-05-18
Honokaa, HI

2 recommendations

horkboy to FLATLINE

to FLATLINE
Ugh. There is nothing worse being on a conference call with 7 or 8 people from work and half of them are on cell phones. It is a miserable experience.

I certainly understand the convenience and financial advantage of using your cell phone for everything, but I will miss it when true landlines are dead.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to scooper

to scooper
said by scooper:

said by FLATLINE:

Obviously YOU live in a location where cell service in the house isn't a big deal. I haven't found ANY provider that works real well in MY house - that's why I dropped POTS but went to VOIP.

Who do you have your cell phones with? I have AT&T and use their microcell for service at my girlfriends house. Gives me 4g service through their internet connection.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to FLATLINE

to FLATLINE
Yeah no thanks, i'm 25 and still have a landline. I cannot stand the voice quality on any cell phone (especially Verizon - everyone sounds like they're talking through a pillow it's so muffled on CDMA), and my house is right up against Camelback mountain here in Phoenix so every cell carrier is shoddy in here. AT&T will get LTE but no voice, Verizon get 1-2 bars of "3G" that's slow as dialup, T-Mobile gets a few bars of HSPA+ but no LTE, and Sprint is just Sprint and i'll leave it at that.

T-Mobile by far has the best voice quality of any cell company i've used, but it's still not nearly as good as an analog landline.

Although I only pay $56/mo to CenturyLink for 40/5 VDSL2 and unlimited everything on the phone, so it's still cheaper for me to keep the landline and T-Mobile than it was for me to pay a car payment bill to Verizon for muffled calls and limited data.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to motoracer

to motoracer
AT&T for my Go Phone - but AT&T won't sell their microcells to people like me. My wife is using Republic wireless - not bad IN the house, but again - get away from out wifi and it drops to Sprint's level of service.

I have considered buying the cell phone boosters, but like some other people have said - call quality means alot. My VOIP works very well with Callcentric. It might work even better if we decided to get true IP phones...

cdr1000
join:2004-02-18

cdr1000 to Mike lee

to Mike lee
Buy a modem. Pay about $70. Recoup your cost in one year.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to FLATLINE

to FLATLINE
The OP just got new service-Triple Plays are usually heavily discounted the first year at a price which is the same or less than just cable and internet. Free or reduced install and probably other add-ons. I would like phone service since as others have posted, my cell signal quality is poor at times. Just not in my budget right now.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to FLATLINE

Premium Member

to FLATLINE
said by FLATLINE:

You may be very local, but some people (such as myself) call abroad all the time, mostly to several European countries. Besides the tremendous cost per minute it would cost doing that on a cell phone, the call quality is poor.

Second, cell phone networks are the first to go down in big emergencies. It happened here in California a few years back when a mere 5.8 Earthquake happened, and everyone was making the "are you OK" calls. It also happened in New York on 9/11, everyone was trying to call each other, and no one could reach each other for hours. Landlines, in both cases, kept on working. With Katrina in Louisiana, both services were pretty much wiped off..... HOWEVER, there where the land line telephone poles weren't knocked over, landlines did continue to work, where cell phones were knocked out for weeks.

Say what you will, but physical lines, whether POTS or VOIP, seem to be a lot sturdier in emergencies.