spc
Search similar:

uniqs

francjam
@72.252.175.x

francjam

Anon

[Installer] Hughesnet

I used to be an installer and was curious if I wanted to reinstall my Hughesnet service at a different location using only my SATFINDER would the satellite be loacted at 89W or 95W or 97W

Raminto
join:2006-02-28
Whitehorse, YT

2 edits

Raminto

You will have to point the dish to the satellite you are assigned to. This info can be found in the SCC.
If your new location is lets say is 30km or more away from the previous one you will need to change the location in the modem and run "registration installer".
All this assuming your account is still active.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to francjam

MVM

to francjam
I think we can say for sure it won't be 97W (I don't think Hughes ever used that one), but it could 83W, 87W, 89W, 91W, 95W, 99W, 113W, 117W or 127W. Whatever you are assigned to. You can't change your assignment.

francjam
@72.252.175.x

francjam to Raminto

Anon

to Raminto
Just a thought if I can find out which Satellite the Modem is assigned to I suppose in the System Control Console (is that SCC?) found posibbly by going to (»198.0.????) even if my location is 200KM away as long as I am aiming to the right satellite and my account is still active I should think it would not be a problem.

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

6000 & 7000 systems are assigned to a satellite and a transponder frequency and require only line of site to the satellite unlike 9000 & Gen4 which require you to also be within the footprint of your beam.

You can find your assigned sat by looking in the modems SCC found by entering 192.168.0.1

You say you used to be an installer ?

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman to francjam

MVM

to francjam
Since we don't know what system you have, our advice may not be worth the time it takes you to read it, but we "assume" you have a 7000 or earlier system. If so, moving it consists of two basic steps: Pointing correctly, and telling the modem where you are located. The latter can be done via the modem's registration process, but that puts you at the mercy of the registration computers, which are becoming increasingly flaky. Simplest is to use a program like my (free) DSSatTool to make the location change.

If you have a 9000 or later system this will not work, and you should plan on using the services of a current installer to make the move.

francjam
@72.252.175.x

francjam

Anon

I recently had the Hughnesnet gen4 installed however I am moving to an area where there are no professional installers but I am going to do it myself so was looking for as much info as possible as I do have expereince installing Directv and Dishnetwork on my own but all of this seems to be a different level of work

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto

Gen4: You will need to get an installer to get you assigned to another beam. Also the dish has to be aligned using special tools.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman to francjam

MVM

to francjam
Now that you've told us the service (Gen4) we can answer your first question - the satellite will be at 107W

There is only one satellite for true Gen4 service.

As Raminto says, you simply will not be able to set it up and point it yourself. It is even possible that the service won't be available where you are moving to, even if an installer was available, since the beams for Gen4 do not cover all of the US.

francjam
@cwjamaica.com

francjam to gwalk

Anon

to gwalk
Yes I used to be an installer moved the GEN4 to the island of Jamaica now I am realizing that I cant find a footprint, I wonder if using a larger antenna will work

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

If you are talking about a Gen4 system (HT1000 & 1100 modems) then the answer is No. There are only 60 Beams on Echostar17 and those only cover the eastern half of the US plus a small strip of the west coast.
For Gen4 you need not only line of sight, you also need to be within the footprint of a beam.
You could have an anntenna as large as a football field and unless it was located within the footprint of a beam you are 100% out of luck.

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto to francjam

to francjam
In an earlier post you mentioned that you want to move the dish 200km and now it is Jamaica??
Maybe this article will help you:
»www.yourlocalinstaller.c ··· pot-beam.
Hope this will explain what dbirdman and gwalk already mentioned

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk to francjam

Premium Member

to francjam

Yes the OP does seem lost.

In an effort to clear this up, first a coverage map of Echostar17 that provides Gen4 service.

The orange areas HAVE Gen4 coverage:

Then we have a "Beam" map that shows a portion of the 60 "beams"
U06 is the southern most beam. It does not extend to Jamaica

heebyjeeby
@verizon.net

heebyjeeby to dbirdman

Anon

to dbirdman
dbirdman, just a quick fyi- hughes does use g19, 97w for an enterprise customer, with a 7700 idu. It is still currently in use with occasional new activation's....when a new store opens, NO residential traffic though.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

Thanks. I had never run across someone on 97 with Hughes.

Msinstaler13
@69.197.220.x

Msinstaler13

Anon

You can line up a jupiter without a dapt tool. Gen 4 is actually 9000 and Jupiter all it is is a name for the new packages. You have a Jupiter system or a space way. Jupiter system you can go into scc. Click on lil I on the left go to installation an install and click re install and go from there as it will show you all you need to know on skew elev azimuth an polorazation. I do believe you may be able to get it in Jamaica cause I have installed one in Baton Rouge la and a month later got a mass e mail saying that we do not and can not sell to Guantanamo bay Cuba. As the system ended up there and got up and running for a military person.

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto

The 9000 is a Ka band modem and there is no such thing as skew/polarization for a circular signal path. And yes, for this kind you will need a dapt tool and squinter.
The 9200 can handle Ku or Ka.
Maybe the OP should clarify what kind of modem he is using.

Msinstaler13
@69.197.220.x

Msinstaler13

Anon

Yes your correct. Needs a dapt and squinter. If your good you can use your hands as I had to when I stepped on mine one time. Polorazation I was saying if it's goin to be right handed or left handed.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk to Msinstaler13

Premium Member

to Msinstaler13
Hog Wash, you sir are the victum of slick marketing.

There are three true Gen4 plans:
Power @ 10 Mbps & 10/10 GB allowance
Power Pro @ 10 Mbps & 15/15 GB allowance
power Max @ 15 Mbps & 20/20 GB allowance

Those three plans and only those three are serviced by Echostar17 located at 107.1' W.

It has 60 Beams roughly matching the orange area depicted on the coverage map posted above.

The blue areas of the map are presently served by Spaceway3 loacted at 95' W.
The "legacy 9000" plans that offered faster speeds and unlimited latenight download are no longer offered. Instead Hughes has "unthrottled" SP3 and has two, yes two plans:

Connect @ 5Mbps & 5/5 GB allowance
Connect Pro @ 5 Mbps & 10/10 GB allowance.

Want proof ?, go the Hughes site, read the Gen4 stuff, select a plan.
Enter a zip and address ....take Reno NV, far out of the Echostar17 sevice area.
What will it say ? ....sorry no gen4 in your area....and give you the Gen4 wannabe Connect & Connect Pro plans.
It is marketing.. that's all.
Look at wikipediea for echostar17. You will see that the bird @ 107.1' W. Has been referred to by both names.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by gwalk:

There are three true Gen4 plans:

As of 8-30-12, DISH offered their plans of ViaSat/Hughes

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member