MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues

Re: Canada's 700Mhz spectrum auction is over, results today - 5pm

said by elwoodblues:

VTL is just goinging the Robellus cartel, I don't seem them being cheap like Wind.

Maybe not, but Videotron did briefly offer that unlimited data plan, which Robellus don't do for even brief periods.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

said by elwoodblues:

VTL is just goinging the Robellus cartel, I don't seem them being cheap like Wind.

Maybe not, but Videotron did briefly offer that unlimited data plan, which Robellus don't do for even brief periods.

I don't need unlimited... 99% of people don't need unlimited mobile data...

What we need is reasonable prices on data around 5-6gb/month.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

For now, the need is going to grow. You also have to keep in mind that some areas aren't going to get wireline infrastructure and those areas are going to need significantly higher caps, because their wifi/LTE/Future Wireless tech is going to be completely replacing wired infrastructure rather than complementing it.

EQ

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

True, for those who dont have access to wireline. But for cellphone plans, they can give us lower prices.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

They should give us lower prices on all of it.

5 or 6 GB is fine, for now, on a cellphone, but it won't be in the future, and it wouldn't be for those who's main broadband connection is some sort of wireless product.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
The 30 dollar for 6b was reasonable, of course now that same 30 bucks gets you 400mb.

I agree we don't need unlimited, even on my most active months, I maybe hit a touch over 3gb.

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

The 30 dollar for 6b was reasonable, of course now that same 30 bucks gets you 400mb.

I agree we don't need unlimited, even on my most active months, I maybe hit a touch over 3gb.

The $30/6GB plan was very reasonable, the fact that they can offer it whenever they feel like it means they could easily make it permanent.
Obviously they're too greedy and only use this plan to as a vehicle to draw new activations.
If this isn't an indication of price gouging I don't know what is. The CRTC should intervene on this garbage. $30 for 400MB? BS.
ings
Premium Member
join:2004-12-22
Toronto, ON

ings to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

it wouldn't be for those who's main broadband connection is some sort of wireless product.

My rural home depends on wireless broadband from Bell. I use a lot more than 5 GB per month (and pay dearly for it). However I recognize that this is not a mainstream scenario.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Spike5

Premium Member

to Spike5
I still have my original 6GB/$30 addon on Rogers since i ordered an iPhone 3G on launch day..

I had some discounts and stuff expire when my contract expired last September, and Rogers would absolutely not budge on giving me any discounts as long as I kept that data plan. It got to the point where I told them (and retentions) that I'm porting my number after being a customer since 2000. They sent one of those automatic support surveys the next day or so, and I really let them have it there, and lo and behold, someone called me back and offered to give me the same discounts I had...

They are really losing their minds with the pricing...

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to ings

Premium Member

to ings
said by ings:

However I recognize that this is not a mainstream scenario.

It's mainstream enough considering my property an hour north of Toronto doesn't have any type of wired broadband.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
All my discounts also expired and they refused to do a damn thing. So I told them I'm going to Wind, and they didn't care, in fact i ported out 15 days early, but they were 'kind' enough not to nail me for early termination.

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

All my discounts also expired and they refused to do a damn thing. So I told them I'm going to Wind, and they didn't care, in fact i ported out 15 days early, but they were 'kind' enough not to nail me for early termination.

Do you have Rogers Cable and homephone also? I believe this makes a large difference when it comes to retentions. Piss off a customer like HiVolt and he'll probably cancel his cable and go FibeTV/Sat or something.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Nope I have nothing with them, They screwed themselves over when it came to cable.

I had a deal in which I got a PVR for life and the cost of the service was like $30/month

4-5yrs ago, I was renovating the house and I called to suspend the service (why pay for something I'm not using). I figured 3 months (boy was I wrong) and catch this, if you suspend a service, you lose your deal. Anyway the woman on the phone figured something out and all was good. Towards the end of 3 months realize the end was not in sight I called to extend.

OH no you don't qualify (for what they called)" the travelers package".

WTF? I qualified last month
Oh that CSR made a mistake.

Fine, cancel everything

I have never looked back. There is a vast rich niche of content available out there, that the media companies here will never buy. They can't seem to see much beyond what's south of us.

I've watched so many British Drama's (that's not even on BBC Canada (which is Shaw IIRC)
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Spike5

to Spike5
It doesn't make any difference. They know that nobody else is offering 6GB for $30 so they'd rather lose you as a customer then take a hit on their margins. They know someone will eventually come along and pay the $105 they're now demanding for 6GB.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr:

It doesn't make any difference. They know that nobody else is offering 6GB for $30 so they'd rather lose you as a customer then take a hit on their margins. They know someone will eventually come along and pay the $105 they're now demanding for 6GB.

The term for that is called COLLUSION. You know the members of Robellus sat down and decided not to offer the deal, But of course officially that never happened.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by elwoodblues:

said by yyzlhr:

The term for that is called COLLUSION. You know the members of Robellus sat down and decided not to offer the deal, But of course officially that never happened.

Just because they're all at the same restaurant for lunch does not mean they had lunch together......

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Like I said, when i was on the phone with them, both regular and retention, they didnt care at all... Its only after i gave them a piece of my mind in the survey response someone contacted me. I was going to port to wind within a week...
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby

Yeah Rogers got really strict about killing those credits, although i kinda understood in my case since i had $47 a month worth of credits on a base $45 plan (but with all my addons was still $80+ a month)

they wouldn't budge on giving me my credits back, but after like 3 hours on the phone with them i ended up with more than i had before for the same price (actually 2 bucks cheaper)

seemed like a lot of wasted CSR time to end up with the same revenue from me, but hey, they wanted the credits gone :P

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by jibby:

Yeah Rogers got really strict about killing those credits, although i kinda understood in my case since i had $47 a month worth of credits on a base $45 plan (but with all my addons was still $80+ a month)

they wouldn't budge on giving me my credits back, but after like 3 hours on the phone with them i ended up with more than i had before for the same price (actually 2 bucks cheaper)

seemed like a lot of wasted CSR time to end up with the same revenue from me, but hey, they wanted the credits gone :P

I was in a similar boat, my credits were more then I was paying them. Absolutely hilarious, I went from $96/month before tax to below $40 with tax.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by Guspaz:

said by elwoodblues:

said by HiVolt:

said by Guspaz:

said by elwoodblues:

Right now.. but as the past has shown, 5-6 is not going to go as far as it once did. A better approach is more like what WIND is doing where after 5-6gigs,they simply slow your connection.

I rather have that, than this idea of endless overcharging that Videotron has join the BIG ROBELLUS gang.

I don't now see a reason to even try videotron if they expand.