Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

2 recommendations

reply to mattmag

Re: [Plumbing] Frozen water service line

said by mattmag:

To make things worse, the current warming trend (if you can call it that) is only going to make the problem WORSE. Warming soil above frozen soil will force the freezing action even deeper, so don't think you are off the hook if it gets nicer out.

I don't understand how warming the soil near the surface could make the soil below freeze deeper.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Ken:

said by mattmag:

To make things worse, the current warming trend (if you can call it that) is only going to make the problem WORSE. Warming soil above frozen soil will force the freezing action even deeper, so don't think you are off the hook if it gets nicer out.

I don't understand how warming the soil near the surface could make the soil below freeze deeper.

magic

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Ken
said by Ken:

I don't fully understand it either, but anyone who deals with this situation around here will concur that it can make it worse. From the limited explanation I received when I asked, it has to do with the upper levels of soil thawing which then releases moisture that migrates downward toward the colder soil, and in turn re-freezes, and that expansion is what helps move the frost line lower in depth.