Search similar:

uniqs
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

vmware esxi install

i am looking to install vmware esxi 5.1 onto a server via USB stick.

i found this article, but i will be using a windows computer to set this up

»pubs.vmware.com/vsphere- ··· AA8.html

i am going to try this:

»joelmccune.com/2012/07/2 ··· b-drive/

but since i won't be able to try this right now, i figured i would ask and see if anyone has any other suggestions.

thanks.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

I've used Unetbootin in the past with good results. Lately all of our servers come with remote management and we just use the virtual KVM and mount the iso directly through that...

izy
MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
ProCurve (HP) V1810-24g
SonicWALL TZ215
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

izy

MVM

unetbootin or rufus, both have worked well for me.

Rufus: »rufus.akeo.ie/
Unetbootin: »unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

since i already have unebootin installed, i am trying that, but it doesnt recognize my external drive (in the program). the drive is listed under Computer. not sure what the issue is. if i select hard disk, it does see the c: drive, but nothing else. if i change it to usb drive, it doesnt show anything. my external drive is being recongized by windows as the e: drive.
mkaishar
join:2000-12-20

mkaishar to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns
are you trying to install onto the server hdds or onto the usb to use as your os volume?
i know it's old school, but i've burned the iso to cd and used that to install both onto hdds and onto usb flash
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

trying to install it onto the hdds in the server (2 drives setup as raid 1). this server did have esxi 4 on it, server has been decommissioned and i am trying to use it to attempt a 5.1 install for testing (might even do 5.5).

using the CD it has failed at two different spots. i don't recall the exact error but it seemed as if it didnt like the media or it couldnt read from the media. the cd i used was used to install 5.1 on two other servers and it isn't scratched. maybe the cd/dvd drive in the server. i figured i'd try to boot off of the usb stick before i tried another cd/dvd drive.
mkaishar

mkaishar to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns
if it's testing i would just install esxi from cd directly onto usb, even if it's not for testing, i've got serves running on usb for a few years now

any computer can do the install process to usb
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

i don't think the issue is the hard drive, which means, if i can't install to the hard drive i won't be able to install to usb.
mkaishar

mkaishar to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns
you can use any computer to install esxi from cd to usb, doesn't have to be the server that possibly has a bad cdrom
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

ok, gotcha. i didn't realize that us what you meant.

thanks.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to tomdlgns

Premium Member

to tomdlgns
I've used this many times
»www.vm-help.com/esx40i/E ··· tall.php

then if you want to install to a USB just plug a 2nd flash drive in
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

i ended up being able to mount the ISO via the RSA card on the server and installed it that way.