spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

3 recommendations

ptb42

My connection with Verizon is asymmetric....

.... and I download far more than I upload. Why would Verizon be surprised when there's a similar imbalance upstream?

But, what I really can't figure out: Verizon wouldn't have a product to sell if there weren't content providers "out there" on the 'Net, producing data that their customers want to download. If the Internet was still just email, then everyone would still be using dial-up modems.

Verizon specifically promotes higher bandwidth connections, at a higher price, telling customers they can download large amounts of data, faster. Netflix provides HD video that can't be downloaded reliably on slower connections, and Netflix customers are more likely to pay Verizon for a faster connection.

If Verizon is really throttling Netflix, intentionally or by benign neglect, it would seem they are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

They want to sell you a service you won't use.
They don't want you downloading data.
They want you to use only a small percentage of your theoretical bandwidth capability per month.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

With no caps. With caps, however the story changes, and network congestion magically disappears