uniqs

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

CRTC invites comments on wholesale mobile wireless market..

Looks like the CRTC is looking to get more and more involved.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com10 ··· 0220.htm

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Right now wholesale market is extremely limited, at least I think so from what I've seen...

I think the only ones I've seen at least here in Ontario are Petro Canada and 7-11 Wireless, both of whom I think get it from Rogers...

I don't think Koodo, Virgin, Fido etc count as wholesale, as I think those are just "discount" brands of the Cartels.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to nekkidtruth

MVM

to nekkidtruth
A list of all the MVNOs in Canada can be found here (there are 18 not owned by the big three):

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· ompanies

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Bell is trying to say that Virgin Mobile is a MVNO, riiiigghhhtt

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to nekkidtruth

MVM

to nekkidtruth
No, Wikipedia is trying to say Virgin is an MVNO...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

No Wikipedia doesnt say a thing, whomever wrote that page does.

MyrddinEmrys
join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON

MyrddinEmrys to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

No, Wikipedia is trying to say Virgin is an MVNO...

Actually, neither of them, the article states that Virgin was an MVNO when it began in Canada (2005-2007) using Bell's towers.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
quote:
Virgin Mobile Canada is a provider of postpaid and prepaid wireless voice, text and data communications services throughout Canada. Launched on March 1, 2005 as a joint venture between Virgin Group and BCE, BCE took sole ownership on July 1, 2009 when it closed a deal to purchase the stake it did not already own.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi ··· e_Canada

Wasn't until much later after they came onto the market that they become a Bell subsidiary.

Although not entirely the same the same scenario, this is like Fido where it got bought out by Rogers.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

A list of all the MVNOs in Canada can be found here (there are 18 not owned by the big three):

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· ompanies

I've never heard of any of those except Petro Mobile & 7-11 wireless, in the Toronto area... There are no advertising for them at all, except the posters in the 7-11 and petro stations that I've seen...

Too bad they dont list the areas they operate in.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're prevented from advertising on a wider scale or someshit by the cartels.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

A lot of them do advertise but some of them are tied to specific retail offerings to customers e.g. PC Mobile or Sears. The others are regional providers like Northwestel who are too small to build their own wireless network. They all have more or less have similar packages anyway, no real benefit to compete on a larger scale since it's not a main source of revenue for some of these companies.

I do know Ztar was planning to compete on the data side, offering unlimited VoIP over a mobile data plan. Not sure what happened there but I guess they couldn't make it work.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to nekkidtruth

to nekkidtruth
The Canadian MVNO landscape is so different from the American market. Probably the best deal in the States right now is H2O Wireless' $30 unlimited talk and text with 500MB on the AT&T network. Nothing remotely comes close to that in Canada for countrywide access with every feature included.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by bbbc:

The Canadian MVNO landscape is so different from the American market. Probably the best deal in the States right now is H2O Wireless' $30 unlimited talk and text with 500MB on the AT&T network. Nothing remotely comes close to that in Canada for countrywide access with every feature included.

My koodo plan is virtually the same, the only difference being I have 1GB of data. It costs $45/month.