Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit

Crumbs in Oven Timer

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
How do I get them out? Maintenance says nothing can be done but I'm confident I can get some type of little vacuums or something to clear that up. I'm in apartment so i'd say this is 25 years old or so.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
A vacuum won't suck those sticky, greasy crumbs out.

You'll need to remove the trim to get to the glass at least.

Also keep in mind that those screws holding the trim and various other parts are half corroded and totally corroded.

Take a picture further back and also post the model number and brand.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
OK posted above However, I think Im stuck because it is so old...

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
You could try some canned air and try and blast it to the corner. You could also be a bad and dishonest person and just break the stove. The new stove would not likely have the same layout.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
I'd rather keep my security deposit.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
Not endorsing any bad behavior, but the stove breaking wouldn't impact your security deposit unless it was tied to abuse. With any modern equipment intentional failures can often appear as normal wear or failure.

ray jaye

@206.47.249.x
put a bendy straw in that sucker and attach it to the tip of a vacuum.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to IowaMan
Should be easily taken care of with a little careful disassembly.

My guess is if you take the whole front panel off the stove (or otherwise gain access to the rear of the panel), you'll probably find screws or metal tabs holding the front glass trim in place from the rear.

Depending on the size of the hole in the glass (it's not clear from the picture), you may need to remove the knob to allow the glass to come off. Look for a little set screw.

Of course, I think it goes without saying, but unplug the stove or turn off the breaker before attempting any such disassembly.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

2 edits
reply to IowaMan
Should be easily taken care of with a little careful disassembly.

My guess is if you take the whole front panel off the stove (or otherwise gain access to the rear of the panel), you'll probably find screws or metal tabs holding the front glass trim in place from the rear.

Depending on the size of the hole in the glass (it's not clear from the picture), you may need to remove the knob to allow the glass to come off. Look for a little set screw.

1st That's a drop in range. Good luck at the plug.

2nd the knob for the timer just pulls off. I serviced those, they could have an old corroded set screw (slot) but I can't remember.

30 year old drop in if the numbers are correct. Old crumbs.

»www.appliance411.com/service/date-code.php

Old ranges and ovens had no electronic boards and last for ever and ever. Don't swap old appliances out if you want longevity.

Good Luck

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to IowaMan
Why?

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to IowaMan
i would not toy around with it unless it is yours.
if i did a walk-through of the apartment before actually signing the contract to rent it and that bothered me, i would have questioned it at the time and if i was told "nothing can be done", then i would have asked to walk-through another apartment if one was available at the time, otherwise it would be something i would have to live with.
the fact that it was brought to the attention of "maintenance" removes your option of attempting to disassemble it to try and clean it (if you break it during disassembly, maintenance will know why) or as was suggested, to "break" it in an attempt to try and get it replaced by maintenance. --
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA

1 recommendation

my thoughts exactly

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to IowaMan
said by IowaMan:

Maintenance says nothing can be done

That's there way of saying "we've got more important things to worry about".

I would try and disassemble it. Remove the knobs (they'll just pull off) and lift up the stovetop. You will likely see 2-3 sheet metal screws holding the panel on. If not, open the oven door and maybe they're on that side. It probably hooks on the opposite side of the screws. Once you do that, you'll see what's involved with the clock assembly and whether or not it's easy to clean. I'm thinking the glass slides into (3) slots and you can pull it out the top... That design tends to be a bit sloppy and can let stuff (crumbs) in.