dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Just Wonder to tmc8080

Anon

to tmc8080

Re: side by side

What's absurd to me is someone living in a 500sq ft apt in NYC paying 2500 and more a month... That's absurd. If the cost of living is high in your area, of course everything else will be too. Let's face it, if they didn't upgrade any HSD and we still had the original 3mbps on RR and 768kbps on DSL, people would complain, and those prices were. AOL use to and still charges people 25.00 for their access and email address (Just found my mother in law still pays for it) Everything goes up, including our beloved Netflix and Hulu in the future. The less we rely on broadband, maybe they would rethink pricing. Right now, it's crack to all us crackheads of broadband
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Someone must of overturned your rock.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to Just Wonder

Premium Member

to Just Wonder
Until NYC completely gets rid of its outdated and ultimately harmful to the housing market rent control and rent stabilization laws, you cannot use open market rental housing costs as a valid comparison to the cost of broadband in NYC. The NYC housing market is so distorted by rent laws, condo and single family housing tax policies, and various categories of subsidized housing for various special interest groups, that it is an invalid comparison or analogy

Just Wonder

Anon

Actually it is not. Although these leased/sub leased/rented or home apartments are overrated, the cost of services, utilities or not, are priced according to the cost of living. Maybe not there in your "Peach" state sir, or should I say "Sa"
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to Just Wonder

to Just Wonder
It's all about the choices of location, location, location.
If you want to live in the ghetto, or hood, you could pay as low as $600 a month! $2500+ a month puts you in under 20 minutes travel time to Wall Street... and if you need that proximity YOU WILL $$ PAY $$ for it-- it's called GENTRIFICATION. Verizon wants to invest as little as possible to gain market share. However, they are taking an anticompetitive approach being able to afford deployment.. Raise prices, and hope competitors do too.. so that they can really afford deployment (under MINIMUM obligation) of fiber by raising the profits of all broadband providers... so at a later time they can REALLY compete (if/when they are forced to). This has almost nothing to do with location.. and everything to do with a shrewd, stingy and anticompetitive business practice which should be made illegal.

The telecom industry seems to be taking it's sweet time to expand broadband in the last mile... and that's why Google doesn't seem content to wait around on the sidelines anymore. Now they have an expanded list of cities they want to see changes in before long and will put up the money to make it happen. I'm just wondering HOW LONG this dysfunction in the northeast will be allowed to go on before google makes a move for the Northeast market.