spc
Search similar:

uniqs
monicakm
join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX

monicakm

Best wireless router for under $100

I currently have a Linksys e2000 series that has been dropped on his head more than a few times. Its 3 years old. I think I could probably use another one. I'll be using a desktop and tablet on this router. I'D like the most secure, strong signal I can get for under $100. Anything special to consider with satellite internet? Thanks, Monica

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

If there is tough part it is in understanding that 192.168.0.1 MUST be reserved for use by the Hughes modem.
Some routers use that address for themselves by default. It is a easy matter to change it.

Another issue is that the software or "installation wizards" sometimes configure some settings that favor more "mainstream connections" such a DSL or Cable and will enable things like QoS and that will just kill the speed on a Hughes connection.
I suggest not running that install cd or wizard. A Hughes connection is really pretty much plug and play other than telling some routers , no you can't have 192.168.0.1

The rest is choosing features that "fit" your needs:

Big house
Small house
Single story or multilevel
Dual band or single (2.4/5.0 Ghz)
2.4 is/was the norm but can be effected by a 2.4 cordless phone or micrwave oven.

james1979
Premium Member
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

james1979 to monicakm

Premium Member

to monicakm
Here is a HughesNet review that might be helpful:

»www.newsletter.hughesnet ··· ters.cfm

It is definitely in HN's best interest to get you to buy a good router. Since they reviewed those models, their phone support should be able to help if you need some type of router configuration support.

(Remember, Hughes makes no guarantee about modem̢۪ prices.)
monicakm
join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX

1 edit

monicakm to gwalk

to gwalk
gwalk, The linksys N900 (previously EA45000 or is it the other way around?) is coming up a lot in my searches. How does it compare to an E2000? I live in the country (don't we all), no neighbors, 1800 sq foot single story home.
My current Cisco router is working. Are there tests to run to see if it's performing like it should? It was really a shock when I got my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition tablet and found it's sooooo much slower than the 4G on my Droid Razr.
The phone, on the other side of the desk form the router, is DECT 6.0 so I don't think it's a problem. All I can tell you about the mw is that it's 1100 watts

james, thanks. My satellite guy mentioned the N900 (he also mentioned the Apple router. He has it and says it's great. The only way I'd spend $200 on a router is if it could double my connection and browsing speed. Please tell me it would!

ps...looks like I have these numbers mislabeled. N900 isn't a model number? EA4500 (for example) is the model number? I'm seeing other routers with the term N900 in their descriptions. Blame it on the gash on my forehead tonight thanks to my 85lb Lab. He was somewhat glad to see me tonight!...ouch!