Search similar:

uniqs

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight

Anon

[HSI] Are these signal levels ok?

Click for full size
About an hour ago I lost my connection entirely and I waited about 15 mins or so to see if it would come back and it didn't. I power cycled the modem which is a Cisco DPC3208 EMTA (Only subbed to HSI) and it started working fine again. I think that the upstream power level went out of spec and it knocked it offline but I'm not sure. I will see if it happens again around the same time or at any other time :/
ve52001
join:2004-05-11
Duncanville, TX

ve52001

I would say you upstream power level is too high. Do you have any splitters in between your modem and the drop? If you do try hooking up your modem directly without any splitters, if not then I would call and have a tech come out to bring up the upstream levels.
ve52001

ve52001 to B4Knight

to B4Knight
Well after doing some reading I see it should be lower than 55dBmv which yours is, but maybe it could be better without a splitter or a visit from a tech. Unless I'm wrong, you downstream looks fine.

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight to ve52001

Anon

to ve52001
There is a splitter in the basement from when the previous owners had Charter installed. I only have HSI and I don't ever plan on subbing to anymore services. I told the tech about the splitter the last time he was here which was to replace my lines due to squirrel damage. He didn't seem to think it would be an issue. I believe it is 3 way splitter but there is no reason to have it anymore.

I hate the Cisco modems interface it is so basic compared to the Motorola Surfboard modems. I use to have a SB6120 prior to the last service call and I miss having a log or being able to reboot remotely. I wonder if I can get my local office to give me a SB6141 assuming they have some on hand :/

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant to B4Knight

to B4Knight
While technically 51 on the upstream is out-of-spec, it's not going to result in loss of sync. However, if there's an issue in your house wiring or the outside plant, the modem could be forced to transmit higher, possibly knocking it offline.

If the upstream level varies by more than a 1 dB over the course of a day, then I'd say get it looked at.

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight

Anon

Click for full size
Thanks! I found the splitter but its hard to trace where the wires go. See we used to rent out the house and the former tenants had TV service in the basement and the upstairs also had all three services. I'm not sure if its the splitter or something else. I talked to Charter Live Chat and the rep reset my signal but it still stayed at the same 51dbvm. If it goes out again tonight around the same time it did last night I will have someone come out on Monday. Do you think if I went to my local office they would let me swap out my Cisco DPC3208 modem for a Motorola SB6141 if they have them on hand? I have no plans on ever doing a double or triple play so I don't really see the need for an EMTA modem. It was the only modem the tech had on his truck. Imo Motorola makes superior hardware/firmware and I miss having logs and all the other diagnostics that Motorola modems have.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

Resetting the modem isn't going to change the level it's transmitting at unless the CMTS "tells" it to.

I don't see why they wouldn't let you change it out, provided they have a 6141 available. However, it's not going to change the (possible) issue with your transmit level.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to B4Knight

to B4Knight
Mine is 42.5, its split once with charter phone.

Previous to splitting, it was around 50.

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight to defiant

Anon

to defiant
Thanks and yes I know that won't change the issue. I just prefer Motorola hardware. My theory is that the upstream power level spiked last night around 1:30 am but I can't confirm it as I wasn't able to look at the diagnostic page when it happened. From what I understand if either the downstream or upstream power levels go out of spec you won't have any connection at all. I'll keep you posted as to what happens. I can tell you one thing I am really looking forward to the free 60Mbps speed upgrade but since I live in SW Michigan my area probably won't even be converted to all digital before the end of summer