Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

apap

join:2008-04-10
Downingtown, PA

[IPv6] Work VPN

Hello,

I am having issues resolving domains when connected to my work VPN.
I can connect to my work VPN fine, and when I run "ipconfig /all", I see that the DNS servers I am picking up are the correct ones and have confirmed this with the IT Department at work.
The IT Department had me run "nslookup", and I am seeing a Comcast server "cdns01.comcast.net". The IT person I was working with said that this is not correct, and it should be a server from my work. However, he did not know how to make sure I was grabbing the work server.
Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

apap

Downingtown, PA

[IPv6] Re: Work VPN

Also, I am connecting through the Arris TG832 gateway.

quesix

join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
reply to apap
You are probably not using "split-tunnelling" , so that the Comcast server lookups fail due to source being office connection instead of your Comcast connection. You need to have your work IT person work with his support staff to either add split tunneling or correct DNS settings to internal servers at office dynamically when VPN client software connects.

apap

Downingtown, PA
reply to apap
said by quesix:

You are probably not using "split-tunnelling" , so that the Comcast server lookups fail due to source being office connection instead of your Comcast connection. You need to have your work IT person work with his support staff to either add split tunneling or correct DNS settings to internal servers at office dynamically when VPN client software connects.

Thanks for the reply--I am using split tunneling, according to my IT Department.

quesix

join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL

1 recommendation

reply to apap
we are going to need more data on your setup (some of which only your IT person has access to), and the problem is likely not Comcast specific anyway. UNLESS.... you aren't running IPv6 DNS servers are you?

that will override any IPv4 settings. Even so, external domains should work...or was you problem only with work domains? was your split tunneling tested/configured inc client as well as VPN server (of which you haven't even specified type/version of either)?

apap

Downingtown, PA
Thank you.
I mentioned to my IT Team it could be an IPv6 issue, and they disabled IPv6 on my machine.
I can now resolve internal domains as expected.