RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

[Leo] Battery Indicator On iMacs Not Correct For Keyboard and TrackPad

This is a pretty strange issue. I have 2 iMacs (a Mid 2011 and a Mid 2010) that are both running 10.7.5. I cannot update the OS because I have important peripherals on both iMacs that have no drivers beyond Lion. I have a wireless keyboard and a magic trackpad for both iMacs. When I put new Duracell Batteries in both trackpads, both iMacs show that the battery levels for both trackpads are only 77%.

In addition, the battery levels for both keyboards show a battery level of 100%, even though I have used both a lot.

One of my iMacs still has Apple Care, so I called Apple and they had me do a PRAM and SMC reset, which did not help. They also tried to have me un-pair the trackpad to then re-pair it, which there was no option to do. The only option was to disconnect and reconnect, which also did not solve the problem. The Tech Support person said that he believed that the trackpad (he only dealt with the iMac still under Apple Care) was defective, since holding the power button in would not turn the trackpad off.

The end result is that Apple is sending me a replacement trackpad. However, with both iMac setups having the same problem, I don't think that will correct the issue. I then later have to deal with Apple regarding the keyboard, however, I am trying to solve the trackpad problem first. The trackpad is supposed to arrive Monday.

Any ideas, other than all 4 devices being defective (which I highly doubt), why the battery indicator is not showing even close to what the battery level actually is?
--
Hillary In 2016 - Any Tea Left Will Have Rotted By Then

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Can't help with the battery problem, but at least on Mavericks you un-pair a device by clicking on the X icon that appears when you put your cursor over the right side of the item in the list. I can't remember if this is the same pane on 10.7 or if it still used the older style, but it should be somewhat similar. If it uses the older style, once you select an item in the list, there should be a "+" and "-" button on the bottom of the list to add/remove.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM

It's the older style with the + and the - buttons. However, the - button is greyed out for some reason on both iMacs. That kinda surprised me and the Apple Tech.
--

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

I thought that using Repair Permissions in Disk Utility would maybe make the "-" clickable so that I could un-pair things. But it didn't.
--

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to lordpuffer

I received the new Trackpad yesterday. Same issue occurs, so the problem is not the Trackpad. BTW, to get the "-" to work and un-pair a device, you must first disconnect the device. I missed that step, but now I know.

I'm back at square one and have to ship the Trackpad back.
--

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to lordpuffer

iMac 12,1 w/10.7.5 and the same problems. Went through the AC dance - downloaded the remote thing so the tech could be sure I wasn't an idiot. Un-paired and re-paired, rinse and repeat. This would work for a time, but the problems of the Magic Mouse or the KB becoming unresponsive would always return.

The first clue something was wrong were the crazy battery levels for both. Wireless trackball and wired KB solved it for me.

In fact, the wireless trackball solved problems with Safari and Find In Page. Once the ability to gesture the history was removed with the MM, so was that problem.
--
--

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

Thanks. At least I know that it isn't something that I ran on both iMacs that caused it.

I just spoke with an Apple Tech about returning the Magic Trackpad and he said it was probably a glitch in Lion and encouraged me to upgrade to Mavericks. I'm looking into the possibility of that now.

»Are There Drivers For This Interface For Mavericks?
--