uniqs
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

Strange Quote

I think Moonvees had a little too much to drink with dinner last night - that's a really confused quote. I think what he's trying to say is that if Aereo is upheld, the networks would go to a split delivery model. Cable would get the current program suite directly by fiber or whatever. Cable subscribers wouldn't see any difference over what they see today.

Cablecos wouldn't try to clone Aereo because OTA would would get an alternate set programming. Local news, syndicated crap, etc. The 5-10% of people that get OTA would just be out of luck.

Think what TBS did when Syndex first came into being.
jagged
join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

jagged

actually something like 17.8% of Americans watch only over-the-air as of 2012 per NAB

In some markets, like Miami I've read that it may be up to 30%. Miami is 16th in households and 10th in advertising dollars

And then there are the sport contracts, and contracts with affiliate stations many of whom nowadays (like FOX) pay the network
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

said by jagged:

And then there are the sport contracts

This is the real interesting point. Congree gave the sports leagues a pass on antitrust in exchange for keeping a significant number of games on OTA TV. Will Congress let those leagues slide if they go cable only, or will they pull the antitrust exclusion?
travelguy

travelguy to jagged

to jagged
said by jagged:

actually something like 17.8% of Americans watch only over-the-air as of 2012 per NAB

Knew it was rising, but didn't realize it was hitting close to 20%. That's great...