silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to spepper

Premium Member

to spepper

Re: who's behind all the lawsuits against Aereo

Not quite. "BIG CABLE" wins big if Aereo wins this. Not only could they potentially bypass having to pay retransmission fees but they could also gain content exclusive to cable if the major networks pull it from OTA.

This is all the TV networks.
cahiatt
Premium Member
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA

cahiatt

Premium Member

I think it can go both ways for them.

1) Potential savings if they can somehow bypass the re-trans fees under an Aero like system.

2) Potential loss due to users bailing out on them and switching to Roku like system with Aero, Netflix and Hulu content.

I'm a cable subscriber but mostly out of habit. I'm fine with local programming for news and getting movies or back shows from Netflix, Hulu and Redbox. I get a great signal on all local channels with an OTA and am probably another "fee" away from cutting them out.

I can see a similar offset for the major networks. Sure CBS, Fox and others may lose some re-transmission fees. But wouldn't there be a shift in the user base from premium channels back to the locals when they do cut cable and go to OTA or Aero? Wouldn't that increase their advertising value and potential revenue there as an offset?