spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mike1948
join:2011-02-28
Poynette, WI

Mike1948

How many TVs on one digital cable box

Noob here. With Charter going all digital I need a new box/boxes for other analog TVs how many times can I split that signal going to other TVs in the house? My cable runs all start in one place so I could put the new box(es) in a closet and control with a RF remote from different rooms. I realize they all would be on the same channel but that is Ok for now. 5 TVs at this point. Long story short, I want to put 5 analog tvs on one new box (The kids don't need all different channels). Can it be done with a splitter?

Masque
join:2001-12-04
Auburn, MI

Masque

To the best of my knowledge.....one per box. We ended up needing two additional boxes once we went all digital for that very reason.
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej to Mike1948

to Mike1948
Splitting shouldn't be a problem. You may have to add an amp if the signal gets too bad. Remember, every split cuts the signal strength in half. Restaurants do that kind of thing all the time.

PFH
Bully For You
join:2003-06-26
Saint Louis, MO

PFH to Mike1948

to Mike1948
If you're splitting the output of a single cable box and delivering signal to analog TVs via coax ('channel 3'), you may need to use a distribution amp (Electroline makes some great ones) to push to multiple TVs. If you're doing it via a composite or component signal, there are other amps that are useful for this sort of signal distribution.

Be sure that when you get a box from Charter, it has an analog RF output. Many boxes only have HDMI / component (5-wire) / composite (3-wire) outputs. I have one that's got RF on a cheezy bedroom TV, but I don't recall the model number offhand.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to Mike1948

to Mike1948
You could use a signal combiner. I used them in the old days when i had Sat TV with Rf remotes. Each box could be sent to multiple TVs and the box would be on Channel 3 and the Ant channels would be on the regular channels.

»www.altex.com/Tru-Spec-C ··· od3G0ADQ

Now this is old tech , i would think it has been update for the new digital TV signals but i have not looked for that. It seems you are using old analog Tv anyways.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to Mike1948

Anon

to Mike1948
said by Mike1948:

Noob here. With Charter going all digital I need a new box/boxes for other analog TVs how many times can I split that signal going to other TVs in the house? My cable runs all start in one place so I could put the new box(es) in a closet and control with a RF remote from different rooms. I realize they all would be on the same channel but that is Ok for now. 5 TVs at this point. Long story short, I want to put 5 analog tvs on one new box (The kids don't need all different channels). Can it be done with a splitter?

So the kids have to watch what you're watching? Kids can't watch kids shows? Did they get to watch what they wanted before the digital conversion? Seems like you're just trying to not pay for more boxes. And I doubt what you are doing will work anyway. You do know you get 2 free boxes for a year. So why not get 3 boxes?
Mike1948
join:2011-02-28
Poynette, WI

Mike1948

You damn right I don't want to pay for 5 additional digital boxes(you only get 1 free for a year if I'm not mistaken). Kids and visitors can watch what they want as long as its the same channel
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej

FWIW, I run 5 TVs with zero cable boxes or box/DVR fees, only one Ceton Infinitv and a Ceton Echo at each TV and $2 for a single cable card. Any TV can watch any channel or recording independently. I highly recommend it for anyone looking to save money in the long run.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to Mike1948

Anon

to Mike1948
said by Mike1948:

You damn right I don't want to pay for 5 additional digital boxes

So circumventing the rules is ok then. I don't want to pay for anything ever. I wish everything was free. Real life doesn't work that way and I accept that.

(you only get 1 free for a year if I'm not mistaken).

from the FCC

If, at the time your cable operator begins to encrypt,

you subscribe only to broadcast basic service and do not have a set-top box or CableCARD : a set-top box or CableCARD on up to two television sets without charge or service fee for two years from the date your cable operator begins to encrypt

to a level of service other than broadcast basic service but use a digital television to receive only the basic service tier without use of a set-top box or CableCARD :a set-top box or CableCARD on one television set without charge or service fee for one year from the date your cable operator begins to encrypt.

only to the basic service tier without use of a set-top box or CableCARD and you receive Medicaid:a set-top box or CableCARD on up to two television sets without charge or service fee for five years from the date your cable operator begins to encrypt.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Mike1948

Premium Member

to Mike1948
said by Mike1948:

You damn right I don't want to pay for 5 additional digital boxes

Exactly why I've never subscribed to Dish or Directv or even ordered a set top box from Charter. Seems pretty stupid to me, to pay for a box for each tv. Heck, just the boxes will end up costing as much as the cable bill. That's like giving them money for nothing, IMO.