»www.macrumors.com/2014/02/21/apple-ios-706/

Fix for SSL Connection Verification

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
said by donoreo:

»www.macrumors.com/2014/02/21/apple-ios-706/

Fix for SSL Connection Verification

Thanks, OTA worked fine on four devices very quick.

Just need a NEW iTunes update now.....
--
GuruGuy

MAIZnBLUE
Premium
join:2004-01-15
Milan, MI
reply to donoreo
Yup, four devices updated within five minutes.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to donoreo
Why was this a patch? of all the broken stuff... just this was fixed.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Basic software development principles... They are no longer working on the 7.0.x base, they're fixing bugs in the 7.1 base. This release is to fix a serious security bug that was important enough to unfreeze the 7.0.x base and fix it.

General, non-security related bug fixes aren't going to be rolled back to 7.0.x just for the hell of it.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

GuruGuy

Atlanta, GA
said by Thinkdiff:

Basic software development principles... They are no longer working on the 7.0.x base, they're fixing bugs in the 7.1 base. This release is to fix a serious security bug that was important enough to unfreeze the 7.0.x base and fix it.

General, non-security related bug fixes aren't going to be rolled back to 7.0.x just for the hell of it.

How are they fixing bugs in 7.1 base when that's not out yet? Did you mean BETA?
--
GuruGuy

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
Software doesn't have to be released to a) have bugs or b) have bug fixes applied. I'm sure there's a common code base between 7.1 and 7.0 (and earlier) so bugs that are fixed and released for 7.0.x are also fixed in 7.1 as needed.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to GuruGuy
I'm not sure if you're just trying to argue semantics or what, but obviously there is a 7.1 version active inside Apple that has bug fixes for problems that were in the 7.0.x release. Usually only minor changes are made to the previous revision once serious work starts on a new version, with exceptions for major problems such as this one.

My point was Apple is not going to roll bug fixes made in the 7.1 code back to 7.0.x just because they're planning to fix a single security bug. The more mundane bug fixes will be released with 7.1.
--

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to MAIZnBLUE
I'm amazed that you could update 4 devices within 5 minutes- for my iPad 2 and iPhone 5, it took iTunes about 10 minutes (5 minutes for each device) just to download the software from Apple. Total update time (for both devices) was about 20 minutes.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
said by daveinpoway:

I'm amazed that you could update 4 devices within 5 minutes

Yeah. It only took 1-2 minutes to download but it is taking forever to update. The iPhone has been on the Apple logo screen with the progress bar (which is progressing) for a good 15 minutes already. The iPad 3 seems to be taking just as long.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to donoreo
iPhone downloaded and updated in less than 5 minutes. hasn't pushed to iPad mini yet.
--
| map your city |

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to daveinpoway
said by daveinpoway:

I'm amazed that you could update 4 devices within 5 minutes- for my iPad 2 and iPhone 5, it took iTunes about 10 minutes (5 minutes for each device) just to download the software from Apple. Total update time (for both devices) was about 20 minutes.

If you update on the iPhone/iPad itself via OTA, it only does a delta update (only downloads/modifies changed files). Updating via iTunes does what amounts to a full restore.
--

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3
reply to donoreo
Click for full size
After installing the update I have a notification badge on my Settings icon that won't go away. Any way to clear it? I've restarted more than once and I have checked software update to ensure that the update was applied.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
reply to Thinkdiff
Ah, now I understand.

GuruGuy

Atlanta, GA
reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

said by daveinpoway:

If you update on the iPhone/iPad itself via OTA, it only does a delta update (only downloads/modifies changed files). Updating via iTunes does what amounts to a full restore.

IF you have an iTunes past 11.1.3 that works...
--
GuruGuy

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
reply to alg
Have you gone into the Settings to see if anything looks wrong?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to donoreo
If anybody is on the fence about upgrading, you should really do so immediately.

SSL might as well be non-existent in iOS 6.1.x (fixed in 6.1.6), iOS 7.0.x (fixed in 7.0.6), and Mavericks (not yet fixed). And now that the cat's out of the bag, its likely some attackers will start exploiting it (if it wasn't being exploited already by.. other institutions).

goto fail;

Plus, iOS 7.0.6 can still be jailbroken.
--

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
reply to donoreo
There's also a corresponding iOS 6.1.6 for those devices that can't make it to iOS 7.
--
less talk, more music

TAZ

join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ
kudos:3
reply to Thinkdiff
Yeah, this is bad.

My advice for OS X users: until an OS X update is released that fixes this, do not use OS X for any kind of secure browsing (online banking, store purchases, etc.). Use another OS instead, which can be installed in a VM on your Mac.

(I took a look at the source file. Why the hell is their code in that shape? Inconsistent indentation, conditional statements without brackets...)

MAIZnBLUE
Premium
join:2004-01-15
Milan, MI

2 edits
reply to daveinpoway
I did them all simultaneously over my Wi-Fi and it took just about five minutes. IPad 2, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5s, iPad air...

Just did my dads ipad air the same way, 6min15sec. From agreeing to update to reboot after update in place back to working order.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to donoreo
Just updated both of my active devices (iPhone 5s and iPad mini) today via the MacBook Pro and the dock cable and iTunes.

The big iPad (3rd gen) is sitting dormant, I'm thinking of trading it in at Verizon Wireless for store credit as I no longer use it and it has limited memory (16 GB). Then when they come out with the next generation of the iPad mini, I can trade that in and get that one.

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
I suppose it depends on what you use the iPad for, but I have never found the 16 GB of memory in my iPad 2 to be an issue.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

said by daveinpoway:

I suppose it depends on what you use the iPad for

Precisely. For my use, I would never get anything less than 32 GB.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

...I'm thinking of trading it in at Verizon Wireless for store credit ...

Verizon (or Gazelle) typically will offer one third (or less) of what you can easily get by selling on eBay. They're not doing you any favors (other than the convenience)

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
My settings offers 7.0.4. I'm still on 6.1.2. Isn't 7.0.6 available for everyone as of yet?

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA

2 recommendations

reply to donoreo
If you're jailbroken it is safe to go to 7.0.6, evasi0n is compatible. If you aren't ready to restore and re-jailbreak yet, you can install SSLPatch by rpetrich.

It's still important to update though, as this patch is only good while Substrate is running, you will be unprotected if your phone crashes and you run in safe mode.

Visit »gotofail.com and »www.imperialviolet.org:1266 afterwards to check and see if the patch worked.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Thanks for the reminder, i got the SSLpatch installed now...
--

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
reply to donoreo
umm okay, it seems my battery sucks ass majorly since this update. it lost 18 percent just sitting on the table not being used for the last two hours...wtf?
--
| map your city |

GuruGuy

Atlanta, GA
said by pcdebb:

umm okay, it seems my battery sucks ass majorly since this update. it lost 18 percent just sitting on the table not being used for the last two hours...wtf?

Check bluetooth.....it turns back on by default for some freaking reason even if it was off.
--
GuruGuy

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by GuruGuy:

said by pcdebb:

Check bluetooth.....it turns back on by default for some freaking reason even if it was off.

bluetooth is always on because of a fitness tracker I wear. it was on before the update and after. That's not the reason.
--
| map your city |