GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
reply to pcdebb

Re: [SU] iOS 7.0.6 is out

said by pcdebb:

said by GuruGuy:

said by pcdebb:

umm okay, it seems my battery sucks ass majorly since this update. it lost 18 percent just sitting on the table not being used for the last two hours...wtf?

Check bluetooth.....it turns back on by default for some freaking reason even if it was off.

bluetooth is always on because of a fitness tracker I wear. it was on before the update and after. That's not the reason.

Not sure then. Who knows what else gets changed from what the user had set. I know that out of four iPads and four iPhones, all had bluetooth turned off. After the update on all devices, bluetooth was turned on. I wonder what else changed.
--
GuruGuy

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
FWIW, I charge my 5S every night. Yesterday, it ended the day at 64% which was more or less the same charge level I typically saw before the upgrade.
I know older phones might be witnessing battery degradation, but this is another reason for folks to consider upgrading (as soon as they can).

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
reply to donoreo
Bluetooth has always been magically turned on after an iOS update. Been this way for a couple years (roughly).

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to pcdebb
This might be the problem...it was for me:

»www.macworld.com/article/2048935···ing.html

I turned off a bunch of stuff that was running in the background...battery consumptiom went back to what is was before.
--
When money men rain from the skies and shadow coins fly across the planet, then shall the New City fall into disgrace. Fortune and power dissipated like scraps of green paper. Look out below.

GuruGuy

Atlanta, GA
said by John Galt:

This might be the problem...it was for me:

»www.macworld.com/article/2048935···ing.html

I turned off a bunch of stuff that was running in the background...battery consumptiom went back to what is was before.

"before" what? What version did you upgrade from. It's not been my experience that those items turn themselves back on after an upgrade. I've always had most of those turned off and they never turn themselves back on. Bluetooth is the only issue that I see after an upgrade.....if it's off, then it turns itself back on after upgrading.
--
GuruGuy

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
I usually apply the updates as they come out.

There were a ton of apps running in the background. I was only vaguely aware about the change to multitasking and how it operates, but I did notice the increased decrease in battery life that pcdebb See Profile mentioned, so I did some research and voila! Fixed.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
I always terminate apps running in the background to rule out that being the cause in the first place.
--
| map your city |

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
I thought all (with the exception of GPS and audio/music) apps go into a suspended state shortly after switching to another one.

GuruGuy

Atlanta, GA
said by haroldo:

I thought all (with the exception of GPS and audio/music) apps go into a suspended state shortly after switching to another one.

I believe that to be correct to unless it's something that is streaming like Pandora or Sirius or maybe a gps map app. All others are supposed to suspend I think after 5 minutes or so.
--
GuruGuy

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to haroldo
That's one reason why I find it so strange that people micromanage their iPhones for "battery life". Apps suspend on their own, background updating is good, Bluetooth 4.0 is very power efficient. I could maybe see disabling Bluetooth if you never use it or use it with old 1.x/2.x devices, or have apps that you almost never use that you don't want updating in the background, but some people take it a bit too far.

Not to mention the fact that the 7.0.6 update contained basically nothing other than the updated SSL library. And I don't think that's a battery hog.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

GuruGuy

Atlanta, GA
said by Thinkdiff:

That's one reason why I find it so strange that people micromanage their iPhones for "battery life". Apps suspend on their own, background updating is good, Bluetooth 4.0 is very power efficient. I could maybe see disabling Bluetooth if you never use it or use it with old 1.x/2.x devices, or have apps that you almost never use that you don't want updating in the background, but some people take it a bit too far.

Not to mention the fact that the 7.0.6 update contained basically nothing other than the updated SSL library. And I don't think that's a battery hog.

I agree with you on the micromanaging part, but I have found that leaving bluetooth on does drain my battery much faster. I don't use it for anything so I leave it off.
--
GuruGuy