spc
Search similar:

uniqs
broadbandmav
join:2014-01-08
New Rochelle, NY

broadbandmav

[iO] No beIN Sports?

I'm surprised that Cablevision still hasn't added beIn Sports to the lineup, especially since GolTV lost La Liga/Serie A and the upcoming Bundesliga seasons.

Anyone know when we might get this channel?

Ilsno
@optonline.net

Ilsno

Anon

They seem to be dropping more channels than they are adding the last year. They've also slowed rollout of HD content. I think they are sensitive to the rising costs of programming. They added Classic Arts Showcase but I read that content is provided free to cable systems similar to CSPAN.

tvfan26
join:2013-12-29
Howell, NJ

tvfan26

said by Ilsno :

They added Classic Arts Showcase but I read that content is provided free to cable systems similar to CSPAN.

If it was FREE all along, why did they take so long to add it?

As for beIN, they dropped 3 FCS channels within the past month and have added nothing else in their places. Not holding my breath they add this.

I think the next channel they add will be KVNV, which will be due to Must Carry status.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by tvfan26:

I think the next channel they add will be KVNV, which will be due to Must Carry status.

Since when do we have a channel 3 in the NY metro area? I guess with the digital switchover there are no longer concerns that it will conflict with Philadelphia's channel 3. Also for that matter, what's up with the FCC giving call letters beginning with K east of the Mississippi?
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to broadbandmav

to broadbandmav
This thread is a perfect example of why they are in no rush to add bein sports, not enough interest. This thread morphed into another channel topic.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore to broadbandmav

Premium Member

to broadbandmav
What percentage of CV subscribers actually care about having another channel devoted to soccer and/or other sports that are marginal like motorcycle racing and rugby? CV already has a glut of sports channels.

tiger_scout
join:2010-02-20

tiger_scout to broadbandmav

to broadbandmav
I also wish they added beIN. Soccer seems to be getting bigger. I love watching the premier league on NBCSH.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

1 recommendation

mbernste

MVM

said by tiger_scout:

Soccer seems to be getting bigger.

It's only getting bigger because Comcast is sticking it on virtually every channel they own because they have nothing better to air on the weekends. dm145 See Profile is right, there's virtually no interest in the channel except for a small handful of people. If CV is going to add a new channel it will be either one that they know people will actually care about and watch or they will be forced to under must carry.

No one cares about Bein Sports or whatever it's called.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

1 edit

RARPSL to mbernste

to mbernste
said by mbernste:

said by tvfan26:

Since when do we have a channel 3 in the NY metro area? I guess with the digital switchover there are no longer concerns that it will conflict with Philadelphia's channel 3. Also for that matter, what's up with the FCC giving call letters beginning with K east of the Mississippi?

I think this is a Nevada station (this KVNV) which is setting up a rebroadcast antenna in the NYC area (or is moving its antenna to the NYC area). There has been other threads here about it. Details at »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVNV.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to broadbandmav

to broadbandmav
BeIN Sports is owned by Al Jazeera Media Networks. You can bet they probably want carriage of Al Jazeera America as well. And Cablevision is probably just not interested because they are misinformed.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by Jmartz0:

You can bet they probably want carriage of Al Jazeera America as well

Cablevision probably doesn't want to deal with the small-minded people who would spew racist/religionist complaints at them for carrying this channel.
mbernste

mbernste to RARPSL

MVM

to RARPSL
It is a Nevada station and I read the Wikipedia article before I posted. I am surprised that they would not be forced to change their call letters as a result of the move. I remember when WOR moved to NJ they had to change the call letters to WWOR as did WNEW when Metromedia sold the station to Fox and it became WNYW.
broadbandmav
New Rochelle, NY

broadbandmav

There is no denying that soccer is increasing in popularity, but the channel is not "dedicated" just to a single sport. With the recent price increase in the sports package, along with the "dropping" of channels from said package, I feel that it would be in the customer's best interest to include more relevant programming that adds value to their sport offering.

That being said, most other major providers (Dish, FiOS, etc) offer this channel to their subscribers and have for quite some time.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

1 recommendation

limegrass69 to mbernste

to mbernste
In the cases you quoted, the WOR and WNEW call letters contractually remained with the owner of the radio properties. The new owners of the TV properties would have had to seek permission of the respective radio stations in order to maintain the TV station call letters...they did not care to do that.

There are cases where a radio station in the same or another market has sought and received permission from another owner to use calls on another band. A good example in this area is WPAT (AM 930) and WPAT-FM (FM 93.1), which were previously co-owned but are now under separate ownership. There needs to be an agreement that allows them to share the same calls on separate bands. When the two stations were co-owned, no such permission was required. Another example is WBEN (AM) in Buffalo, who gave permission to Greater Media to use the WBEN-FM call letters in Philadelphia.

In the case of KVNV, you can read the story of how that station (and KJWP) made their unique cross country moves. It does not appear that the FCC cares about the "K" and "W" prefix. KJWP is already on the air in Philadelphia (licensed to Wilmington, DE) on Channel 2.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to mbernste

to mbernste
Best part about that is Al Jazeera america is probably as straight news as you can get behind the BBC. Their "agenda" is not very obvious...

voipguy
join:2006-05-31
Forest Hills, NY

voipguy to limegrass69

to limegrass69
Philadelphia's viewers won't have a hard time with a "K" station. They had a historical exception with KYW.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by voipguy:

They had a historical exception with KYW.

Exactly. That one fell through a weird FCC loophole where the station/call letters were moved between geographies.

UNSuser
@optonline.net

UNSuser to broadbandmav

Anon

to broadbandmav
Launching this week

CVInfosider
@cablevision.com

CVInfosider

Anon

Optimum is excited to announce that we have signed an agreement to carry beIN Sports for Optimum TV subscribers. Marketing and customer communications will begin Tuesday, February 25, 2014.

beIN Sports will be available to Optimum TV customers beginning Thursday, March 20, 2014.

gambitNJ
join:2012-11-15
Your Mom

gambitNJ

Oh joy.. What about Channels that more people will Actually watch.. Like ME-TV, EPIX, TV Guide Network etc?

tvfan26
join:2013-12-29
Howell, NJ

tvfan26

said by gambitNJ:

Oh joy.. What about Channels that more people will Actually watch.. Like ME-TV, EPIX, TV Guide Network etc?

ME-TV is coming in the form of KVNV in the 2nd quarter according to what I read. It is also a Must Carry station. Interesting to see where Cablevision puts this in their lineup.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145

said by tvfan26:

said by gambitNJ:

ME-TV is coming in the form of KVNV in the 2nd quarter according to what I read. It is also a Must Carry station. Interesting to see where Cablevision puts this in their lineup.

Likely with the rest of the crappy sub channels between 109 and 120
broadbandmav
New Rochelle, NY

broadbandmav to CVInfosider

to CVInfosider
said by CVInfosider :

Optimum is excited to announce that we have signed an agreement to carry beIN Sports for Optimum TV subscribers. Marketing and customer communications will begin Tuesday, February 25, 2014.

beIN Sports will be available to Optimum TV customers beginning Thursday, March 20, 2014.

Thanks! Any link to some sort of press release?

WilliamBEIN
@optonline.net

WilliamBEIN to broadbandmav

Anon

to broadbandmav
ON MARCH 20, 2014 their adding BEINSPORTS to CABLEVISION!!!! Call them you might need an upgrade

gambitNJ
join:2012-11-15
Your Mom

gambitNJ to dm145

to dm145
The only crappy Channels we could do without, are all the Foriegn Language Channels from Eurasia Countries! They are just taking up Channel Space
gambitNJ

gambitNJ to WilliamBEIN

to WilliamBEIN
Oh joy... Let me get out the party streamers...
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM to gambitNJ

to gambitNJ
said by gambitNJ:

The only crappy Channels we could do without, are all the Foriegn Language Channels from Eurasia Countries! They are just taking up Channel Space

a. They are sent using Switched Digital Video, so there aren't taking up much space.
b. Your not paying for them unless you subscribe to them, unlike channels in the regular package that everyone is paying for whether they watch them or not.
c. They're a cash cow to Cablevision.

Your Name
@broadviewnet.net

Your Name to broadbandmav

Anon

to broadbandmav
»www.facebook.com/Optimum ··· filter=2
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to broadbandmav

to broadbandmav
beIN Sports will be available in our Optimum Gold, Optimum Sports and Entertainment, and Optimum en Espanol packages
elmoso1
join:2006-01-16
Middlesex, NJ

elmoso1 to RemyM

to RemyM
thank you for clearing that up for the ignorant masses