spc
uniqs
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to ChuckcZar

to ChuckcZar

Re: Voltage vs Teksavvy decision

said by ChuckcZar :

Guzpas just dreams up non-existent figures off the top of his head.

it used to be 5k - not interested in personal attacks

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

said by JMJimmy:

Some people make everything personal.

shrugs
@videotron.ca

shrugs

Anon

said by Nitra:

said by JMJimmy:

The limit is also different in Quebec (where guspaz is). Last time I looked, it was indeed around 7K (unless that changed recently). Guess some people don't know there is life outside of the centre of the universe.

Anyhow.

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm to JMJimmy

Anon

to JMJimmy
Makes me wonder how this will affect things now with the likes of Bell, Rogers and Videotron?

Prior to this court ruling, those ISP did nothing, told the trolls to just get a court order, and they handed peoples info away.

What do we see that is new here?

1) the information given must be limited to:
-Name and mailing address of the account holder, No Email addy, other contact(s), or phone numbers

Would control of the extortion letters also be something new applicable to all?

Anything else that is new and different?

Will the above now extend to the likes of Bell, Rogers and Videotron when trolls come knocking again?

nanook
MVM
join:2007-12-02

nanook

MVM

said by hmm :

Prior to this court ruling, those ISP did nothing, told the trolls to just get a court order, and they handed peoples info away.

With a court order. Do you have evidence that they gave out subscriber information without that?

1) the information given must be limited to:
-Name and mailing address of the account holder, No Email addy, other contact(s), or phone numbers

I don't see a problem. Neither e-mail nor phone are valid means for serving legal notice. A registered snail mail letter is. So is physical delivery at residence.

Would control of the extortion letters also be something new applicable to all?

Yes. That's the whole point of the decision. It takes away some of the troll's power to extort using false/exorbitant claims and other misleading practices.

As most of the posters above seem to have concluded, it makes these sorts of trolling practices uneconomical. We won't know for sure until Voltage gives up and goes back to the US.

eots
join:2003-02-04

eots

Once they get customer names and addresses it's not difficult to get their phone numbers and I wouldn't put it past Voltage to call people who have a listed phone number.

nanook
MVM

nanook

MVM

said by eots:

Once they get customer names and addresses it's not difficult to get their phone numbers and I wouldn't put it past Voltage to call people who have a listed phone number.

To what avail? What would phone calls accomplish that letters, written by lawyers and sent by registered mail, could not?

And if they make more than one or two calls, especially after being asked to cease and desist, they open themselves up to charges of harassment.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to shrugs

MVM

to shrugs
said by shrugs :

said by Nitra:

said by JMJimmy:

The limit is also different in Quebec (where guspaz is). Last time I looked, it was indeed around 7K (unless that changed recently). Guess some people don't know there is life outside of the centre of the universe.

Anyhow.

Indeed, I had quickly googled "small claims court limit" and what popped up was that the limit is $7,000 in Quebec. But it being $25,000 doesn't change my point: Can Voltage really force somebody to go to full blown court to defend a $100 to $5000 damage claim when that's smaller than the small claims amount?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

They can, but it will end up costing them more then they'll ever recoup.

eots
join:2003-02-04

eots to nanook

to nanook
I don't think Voltage cares, harassment has always been their primary tactic and unless the judge forbids them from calling customers then I wouldn't put it past them. They could hire a collection agency to do the harassing for them. Voltage is a sleazy company and I'm sure their lawyers are equally sleazy to have them as a client.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by eots:

I don't think Voltage cares, harassment has always been their primary tactic and unless the judge forbids them from calling customers then I wouldn't put it past them. They could hire a collection agency to do the harassing for them. Voltage is a sleazy company and I'm sure their lawyers are equally sleazy to have them as a client.

Any communication from Voltage to any IP holder has to be approved by the courts first.

nanook
MVM

nanook to eots

MVM

to eots
said by eots:

I don't think Voltage cares, harassment has always been their primary tactic and unless the judge forbids them from calling customers then I wouldn't put it past them.

As eots points out the judgement forbids Voltaga from making contact by any non-approved means. Laying harassment charges against Voltage, especially if part of an orchestrated campaign by those who get trolled, would only be icing on the cake.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to eots

Premium Member

to eots
They couldn't hire a collection agency because these companies still have to follow consumer credit laws in Canada.