San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to satow

MVM

to satow

Re: [DSL] Just subscribed to DSL Extreme

I haven't seen the "Pacific Bell" brand used in twelve years; since about this time in 2002, when SBC (which bought "The Pacific Telesis Group" in 1996) started sending bills under the "SBC" brand (I originally signed up for "Pacific Bell DSL Service" in February, 2001).

SBC supported a number of brands over the years; the best probably were the later Efficient/Siemens modems (SpeedStream 5100b/4100/4100b). Also several residential gateways; commonly Netopia/Motorola models.

When you lost the static IP addresses, you should have contacted support. When you had speed issues, as well.

AT&T has almost always used PPPoE; since they billed as "Pacific Bell", anyway. Only since introducing U-verse IPDSL service have they changed that.

So which modem did you get?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Hi satow,

If you're getting a modem from us, I'm expecting it's going to be a Comtrend CT-5072T. Simple bridged modem. Connecting your router to it shouldn't be an issue, but if you're signed up for PPPoE then you'll want to go into the router and configure it with your DSL Extreme username and password - a relatively simple process, our Tier 2 techs should be able to help with that. Send me a PM with your account info, and I can have a tech give you a call to help out.
satow
join:2014-02-21
USA

satow to NormanS

to NormanS
Hi NormanS,

I got a blue Netopia box with a single wifi antenna. Doesn't have a model number and I can't remember what it is since it was a long time ago.

You signed up for PacBell DSL Service around the same time I did. I think I signed up in May or June, not sure.

The problems all started a few years ago. I called the old PacBell support number I had written down and it was no longer in service. Then I called ATT and the people there didn't know how to configure my modem.

After hours of trying to find someone to help, I got a phone number and after going through the gauntlet of 4or 5 people who sounded like offshore labor, I got a hold of a higher up and she helped me configure the modem to work. I told her that I had 6 static IP addresses, and she said that, that was fine.

Later on during the month, one by one, my statics started to fail. I call PacBell again, and they told me to contact billing. I called billing and they told me to contact support.

So, to make it short, I give up on PacBell DSL. Now it seems during the last few months they are sporadically cutting my bandwidth way down. I can't watch youtube videos without glitches. Sometimes it's so slow that it takes opening the Google page about 15 seconds to load. That is just poor quality service. I know it isn't my lines, because occasionally, it is very fast. It's only been lately, like that last few months, it has been happening.

I don't know if ATT has anything to do with it since they have been pushing hard with snail mail ads to subscribe to U-Verse.

I'm just glad to take the extra effort to move over to DSL Extreme. It sounds like they are very helpful, so I'm taking a chance here with them. I just hate the hassle of going through a gauntlet. It seems like all the technical support people just don't listen and make you go down a script they follow.
satow

satow to dslx_nick

to dslx_nick
I tried to send you a message by clicking on your name and avatar, but unfortunately since I'm a new member, the forum doesn't allow me to. How can I send you my account info?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Huh, really? I wasn't aware there was a 'waiting period'. Let me try sending you a PM, maybe it'll let you reply to it.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

1 recommendation

sashwa

Mod

As long as satow clicks on reply to your IM Nick, they should be able to reply to your IM to them. After about 8 hours he will be able to send IMs on his own. In the mean time, new members are only able to reply to IMs they receive.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Good to know, thanks!