JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Gaff

Premium Member

to Gaff

Re: Detained by law enforcement

I've been following this thread since yesterday and have come to some personal realizations. Had I been in your place, I probably would have willingly shown my ID no questions asked. Now, I'm not so sure. I'm not usually one for confrontation so I really have no idea what I would do in the spur of the moment.

That said, unless I'm simply out in my yard I probably have my ID on me so I'd never be in a situation where I couldn't produce it at any time. And I would question why they would want to see my ID when I'm at my own house. Neighbors all know me so no one would have called the cops on me for suspicious activities or anything like that. And if there is valid reason, it's a simple trip inside (without the officer) to my desk or bedside table to grab my wallet.

Not that my ID would do much good to prove where I'm currently residing. It's a GA license and still shows my old Stone Mountain address, not my current Lanett, AL address. And yeah, I know I need to get it changed. Plan to do that at the end of the month when I go get a tag for my new vehicle.

You've gotten a lot of advice here and it's always good to get (and listen to, which you are) advice contrary to your own viewpoint. I don't know if you know this (it's fairly easy to find out without me telling you, so I hope he isn't upset with this), but you've gotten some special advice too. Make sure you read over exocet_cm See Profile's reply to you.

Why? He happens to be a New Orleans police officer and has given you some valuable insight into what likely happened and how you should handle things going forward. I say "likely happened" because honestly you were the only one there that is present here in this discussion so we only have your word to go on. I have no reason to doubt your account of the events (as I assume no one else does) but that means no one here giving you advice has first hand knowledge of the situation as it happened (unbiased third party observer basically).

Gaff
Just like the gypsy woman said
join:1999-09-05
North TX, US

Gaff

Indeed, I have read every reply on this thread, and will continue to do so. I knew it would bring out a couple of anti-government / law enforcement crazies, but I read those replies anyway.

I did thank exocet_cm See Profile last night when I first saw his response. He has given me some additional ideas for redress that I will pursue should I not receive a satisfactory response from the irons I have in the fire at the moment.

It's a nice day out, so I'm planning to walk down that way later this afternoon, and I'm going to take some photos of the bridge whilst I'm down there.