All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26

Re: If anyone is looking for a $100 Enterprise class router..

The 2011 series are great little boards.

My only gripe with them is the 1st set of ports are gigabit and the second set are only 100meg. It's something that catches people by surprise.

A very interesting unit that would probably fit well is the "CRS" (Cloud Router SWITCH) units.

They are a 24 port "switch" that runs the same OS as the routers. It is fully functional as a normal router, but is optimized as a switch.

As long as you're not doing crazy heavy routing functions (No home user would), it won't jam up the CPU, and the rest of the ports can be used as a large gigabit switch. You still have the ability to use every port as a routed function if you wanted, it's just the CPU and hardware are more optimized for switching. So you get a decent home router, with a wicked fast gigabit switch.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by voxframe:

A very interesting unit that would probably fit well is the "CRS" (Cloud Router SWITCH) units.

How much $$$?
voxframe

voxframe to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
»routerboard.com/CRS125-24G-1S-IN

189$ for the wired only version.

I admit, the price on that unit is much higher in comparison to the others. I just happen to like them and use them a lot (They're very new on the market, and have some sweet kick for their switch capabilities)

If you're ever into spending stupid money...
»routerboard.com/CCR1036-12G-4S
I have half a dozen of these in service... Lemme tell you, they haul serious ass.
You'd be very hard pressed to find anything that can hold it's ground against this unit in the 4 digit range by any other company. The firmware for them is just starting to get decent, so the 36 core CPUs (YES 36 core) are only starting to get used to their full potential.
Cubytus
join:2007-08-24

Cubytus to voxframe

to voxframe
Wow glad you could pay 8x$50+ for an Internet pipe! But how was the ping?

Except for bonding connections, there's no reason to use MLPPP anymore I guess%u2026
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to Optional

MVM

to Optional
said by clarknova:

said by Optional:

What's the point of this in a home setting?

Bragging rights!

Seconded...

- or one's ego compells one to do this

- or your inner geek just wants to mess around with kit like this

- or you have a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket

...the list goes on.

Regards

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny

Anon

or it gets used for business use at home in which case the equipment is actually needed.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to Cubytus

to Cubytus
I find ping on 8xMLPPP to be not noticeably worse than on a single line. But then I'm already 50-60 ms away from Vancouver, so if MLPPP adds 10 ms that's not something I'm going to notice.

Throttling hasn't been an issue out west, so the need for speed is about the only justification we've ever had for MLPPP here.
Cubytus
join:2007-08-24

Cubytus

I guess I'm cheap, then. Paying more than $35 for a home high speed connection is expensive to me, nevermind almost as much as my rent back then, even as a geek. Oh, I do have Europe's price standards in mind.
voxframe

voxframe to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
The MLPPP was our last step before moving up to fiber (Which we have 3 of now lol)

The ping wasn't an issue on the MLPPP for us. MTU was probably the biggest source of "funkyness" which we didn't experience at all as the Mikrotik units automatically compensate for it.

Even though the ping went up very slightly, the jitter remained perfectly stable. Which is what is the most noticeable factor for lag/voip/video.

I use Mikrotik and Ubnt in a business environment, so that's why all the "toys".
Mikrotik, if I said I had a couple hundred devices kicking around, probably a dozen different models, I'd probably be right. Ubnt, easily a thousand operating currently.

(I'm sure I'm no guru, but I know the products well)

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to Cubytus

to Cubytus
It's justifiable when it's part of a business that needs the speed. My home connection is a comparably modest 25/2.
voxframe

voxframe to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
For us, the biggest requirement was the upload. Highest available packages at the time in DSL (No cable at the time) was the business 6/1.

I sadly can't remember what we got for speed results at full capacity, but I remember they were mind blowing in terms of regular DSL. (ADSL2+ Still wasn't around, or at least in use at the time)
Bugblndr
join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

Bugblndr to voxframe

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

»routerboard.com/CRS125-24G-1S-IN

189$ for the wired only version.

That looks pretty sweet. I use routerboards at our office and at home and one of those would allow me to continue to use software I know and get rid of some switches. All at a really decent price.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
Thanks for taking a look at it. Overall I liked the documentation, and it has an interesting list of features. Currently I'm using a generic router with DD-WRT.

A concern on review of the EdgeMax Lite router was no ability to handle Dynamic DNS. Have you found any support for Dynamic DNS? I use OpenDNS, and would not like to give it up. Without a decent DNS filtering capability such as OpenDNS, I suspect this router wouldn't work for my home.
voxframe

voxframe to Bugblndr

to Bugblndr
said by Bugblndr:

That looks pretty sweet. I use routerboards at our office and at home and one of those would allow me to continue to use software I know and get rid of some switches. All at a really decent price.

I won't say it outloud... or at leas too loudly...
But those CRS units, as switches, haul serious ass.

Enough so that it holds its ground against another 24 port managed switch that we have, which will remain nameless, and cost a couple $K.
Bugblndr
join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

Bugblndr

said by voxframe:

I won't say it outloud... or at leas too loudly...
But those CRS units, as switches, haul serious ass.

With the passive cooling, how are they on heat? Right now I'm running a 450G at the office connecting to a 40/40 fiber line and a 10/1 DSL line and at home I'm using a 750G connecting to a 25/10 DSL and a 20/10 Cable line. The 750 can get a little warm but never hot enough to cause issues.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
I visited routerboard, and found most of the stuff was MikroTik, most of the routerboard and edge products linked or discussed in this thread are available at Amazon. Cost is about the same as from the websites already linked.

It seems Amazon is selling from Amazon stores (3rd party sellers), not directly from Amazon. However, you don't have to release credit card information to a 3rd party.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to pandora

MVM

to pandora
said by pandora:

A concern on review of the EdgeMax Lite router was no ability to handle Dynamic DNS. Have you found any support for Dynamic DNS?

My usual starting point would be the Edgemax community Knowledgebase -- does this help you out at all pandora See Profile ?

Regards
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

1 edit

pandora

Premium Member

said by HELLFIRE:

said by pandora:

A concern on review of the EdgeMax Lite router was no ability to handle Dynamic DNS. Have you found any support for Dynamic DNS?

My usual starting point would be the Edgemax community Knowledgebase -- does this help you out at all pandora See Profile ?

Regards

That is extremely helpful. Thank you!

Sigh. I have a TP-Link router which cost under $100 with DD-WRT on it, and see in this thread both the EdgeMax Lite (for $97 at Amazon) and Mikrotik CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN for $203 at Amazon.

The EdgeMax looks amazing, but the Microtik has 24 ports and a touch screen.

I don't need a new router, but both look interesting.

As there is no need, it's a question of which would be more fun. I like the EdgeMax and if I didn't already have my current router would likely buy one. However, the Microtik seems to be a wireless router with 24 gigabit ports and a touch screen.

This thread is likely to cost me at least $200, and only for the opportunity to play with some of this stuff. I wonder how the Microtik compares to an HP Pro Curve switch.

Edit: Dang, I ordered it - »www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 0HX3KNWC - $200.84 Hope it's nice. Ultimately it was the touch screen ... sigh.

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
I got an EdgeRouter Lite when it first came out and I've been very pleased with it. Why did I get it?

- I wanted separate devices for separate functions on my network: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· e-part-2 I initially considered the MicroTik RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN but its wireless didn't impress me - I went with an ASUS RT-N66U and used it as an AP. I wanted a separate wired router and I suppose I could have gone with a MicroTik RB750G/GL but the ERL looked more powerful and configurable.

- I'm somewhat familiar with Debian

- it's extremely configurable

I've gone through 3 firmware versions and the recent 1.4 firmware is as easy to configure for the home user as any other consumer router.

It's been extremely stable unlike a lot of consumer routers. I haven't had to reboot it except to update firmware. I didn't have to play around with alternative firmware to get what I needed. pfSense on this platform would be great, I just hope they're able to keep hardware acceleration (which is a proprietary blob from Cavium).

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

1 edit

clarknova

said by Fraoch:

I just hope they're able to keep hardware acceleration

The topic came up on the pfsense mailing list recently, and it doesn't sound promising. It will be interesting to see what kind of unaccelerated throughput pfsense will be able to generate on this hardware. It should be enough to handily beat the current ALIX boards and the Soekris net5501 at less than half the cost of those boards.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
LOL That's not "Enterprise Class". While I think the are pretty decent routers I don't thin you will find any "Enterprises" replacing their Cisco/Juniper/Adtran gear with this stuff.
voxframe

voxframe to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
Regarding the heat mentioned a couple posts back.

The 450 series always seemed to run stupidly hot.
Not the same any more with the CRS units, they are slightly warm to the touch, but nothing scary.
Expand your moderator at work
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26

Re: If anyone is looking for a $100 Enterprise class router..

said by BACONATOR26:

I was not so familiar with Vyatta but command guides and examples are readily available on the Ubiquiti forums and Vyatta community.

Vyatta is mentioned occasionally in the WISP forum.

I recalled writing "Vyatta sells a XORP router running on Dell platform" back in 2006 after mentioning XORP and Quagga open source projects. Hopefully they provide GPL source if that is the origin. »Re: multicast routing

I have also mentioned X86 based router platforms with many ethernet ports from companies like Netcom, Axiomtek, Commell, etc. But you will pay lot more than $100!

THS
@teksavvy.com

THS

Anon

So I have a media center PC that I turned into a router.
How does PFsense compare to this "enterprise for home" stuff ??

I have 2 Intel Gigabit NICs that I use to load balance between my 150mbps Cable and 25mbps DSL

Specs of my PFsense PC-router:

- Core 2 Duo @ 3Ghz
- 4 GB RAM
- 30 GB SSD

Features I run on this PFSense box are:

- Squid / Squidguard for blocking spyware
- HAVP antivirus
- Snort (intrusion detection)
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by THS :

How does PFsense compare to this "enterprise for home" stuff ??

Yes, pfSense is an excellent alternative. »www.pfsense.org/

We were using m0n0wall, a precursor also based on BSD, for WISP networks since 2003 and migrated to pfSense in 2007.

The packet filtering and traffic shaping features are easy to set up in the excellent and lean GUI and the underlying tools are very stable because of BSD pedigree.

Lots of threads on both m0n0wall and pfSense in the WISP forum. Search old posts too.
FiberWolf
Premium Member
join:2002-05-24
Morristown, TN

FiberWolf to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

LOL That's not "Enterprise Class". While I think the are pretty decent routers I don't thin you will find any "Enterprises" replacing their Cisco/Juniper/Adtran gear with this stuff.

I did just that last week. Replaced a Cisco 7200 with a ERL. Handles BGP just great. Partial routing tables for now. Latency dropped by several ms and fail over to other provider was faster.

Now, that being said. The hardware is "not Enterprise" for me has nothing to do with software but physical hardware. The software is Enterprise class for me, but not the hardware.

No dual power supplies for example. Also, I suspect that the device will give out in temperature extremes and will not last as long. However, at the price, I did this. I bought two and setup vrrp between the two. It works.

battleop

battleop

"The software is Enterprise class"

I would probably go with that once it's been in the wild a little while and undiscovered bugs can be found and worked out. I'm going to be looking at these soon to see if I can fit them into our line up of supported customer CPE. We have a lot of ethernet customers these may work well for. One of the biggest questions I have is if I can reliably get them to meet our deployment numbers without having to buy a pallet at a time.
Martin2341
Premium Member
join:2013-11-01
united state

Martin2341

Premium Member

Yeah. By the way, you can try the Brocade Vyatta vRouter as a 60 day free trial via the link the below:
»www.brocade.com/forms/js ··· n=&ggeo=
It includes 24/7 support as well. It is worth looking at to at least see what is out there even if you decide to go with one of the free offerings.

battleop

battleop

I just pulled a bunch of Broadcade L3 switches out of a customers network. It left a bad enough impression on me that I'll probably never recommend it to anyone. I think their OS was written by a bunch of moron engineers that have never been in the real world.