Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to dave

Re: Understanding Apple's SSL/TLS Bug

Evidently Apple employs "real programmers".

quote:
* Real Programmers aren't afraid to use GOTO's.

* Real Programmers can write five-page-long DO loops without getting confused.

* Real Programmers like Arithmetic IF statements -- they make the code more interesting.

:D

if (a = b) goto epic_fail;

epic_fail:
    printf("Obviously programming isn't my forte. Time for a career change!\n");

PS:
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by StuartMW:

Evidently Apple employs "real programmers".

quote:
* Real Programmers aren't afraid to use GOTO's.

* Real Programmers can write five-page-long DO loops without getting confused.

* Real Programmers like Arithmetic IF statements -- they make the code more interesting.

My personal favorite from that same source:
quote:
Real Programmers write self-modifying code...
Many years ago, in a period of coding arrogance, I constructed a Lotus Symphony program for special-purpose data archiving, analysis, and forecasting that contains a 975-line macro with 155 lengthy lines of self-modifying code, which I've run monthly since 1986. Each time it's run, it analyzes the entire data and forecast histories, performs computations, and accordingly modifies various lines within the macro code (both limits and instructions) for the next run. It has worked beautifully for its intended purpose over all those years. But, if my life depended on it, I could never reconstruct the values it's created along the way unless I re-started it from the documented initial state (the only documentation) and manually re-ran it for each set of monthly inputs. But real programmers never look back, and they never apologize...
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by Blackbird:

But real programmers never look back, and they never apologize...

Well fortunately the software engineers/computer scientists of today probably don't know what assembler language is let alone write any software in it. It is very difficult, if not impossible (by design), to write self-modifying code in high level languages. In assembler you can do what you want barring hardware restrictions.

The people that write ("good") malware do know assembler and how to do stuff at the hardware (CPU) level. I find it amusing that some 15-yr old hacker in Russia can write better code, in many respects, than a college educated software "professional".

To me software engineering is like any other engineering and requires discipline and a methodical approach. I know, however, that many in the industry don't believe that. Writing and building code is very easy unlike creating a building, bridge or a car. The latter require lots of planning and sometimes experimentation, before construction ever starts. Programs not so much.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!