spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

[Embarq] DSL Light Dropping

I'm posting this information on behalf of my parents - they have been plagued with their DSL connection dropping every 5-10 minutes. When the connection drops, the DSL light on their modem turns off, so it's gotta be something further up the line. I've replaced their modem and router and the problem remains. Here is the output from their modem:

noise margin downstream: 5 db
output power upstream: 12 db 
attenuation downstream: 43 db
noise margin upstream: 21 db
output power downstream: 19 db 
attenuation upstream: 22 db

I called phone support and the guy I spoke with insisted it was the DSL filter - we've replaced the filter and the problem remains. I haven't bothered with the hassle of calling back - I'm likely going to email the Centurylink support folks here to keep from dealing with the useless phone support - but before I did, how do those line stats look?
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

The SNR downstream of 5db is most likely the problem. It's not suppose to function that low (generally CL's network will not allow a connection below 6dBm - although it can be overridden in the modem)

Try plugging the modem directly into the NID with the rest of the house disconnected and see if it gets better. I always shoot for at least 10dBm so it leaves room for error on the line.

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Re running the test, it dropped as low as 0 and -1 on occasions.

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

Definitely a problem with noise.. You need to isolate whether its inside or out.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
Hi Hazy Arc. brad152 is correct that the SNR downstream of 5db is not good, but I'm sure you can already tell with all of the drops on your parents line. IM or email us the info and we're happy to see what we can find out on our end. Thanks.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com