uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

[Roofing] shingles blew off

It has been windy since last night but nothing that we haven't seen before in upstate NY. In the morning I saw two shingles blew off my roof and are in my backyard. I will call a roofer I've dealt with before the last time this happened maybe 3 years ago. I think 3 shingles blew off then. Roof is around 10 to 15 years old.

1. Is it normal for shingles to blow off when it's very windy out?
2. What is an approximate cost to replace two shingles? I don't remember what the price was last time since I had the roofer install a bathroom fan vent that vents to the roof and clean the gutters and do some preventative maintenance on parts of the roof.
3. When would I likely need a new roof? I don't have any leaking etc and the roof looks fine from the street.
4. How long is OK to wait with two missing shingles? I will call on Monday but I don't know when he can get out here.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

[Roofing] Re: shingles blew off

Do you have a home owners policy? If so call the insurance company and file a claim. We had some wind damage several years ago and because we had a "replacement cost clause" they paid to re-shingle the north side of the house.

1) no - newer shingles are much better then old.

2) have no idea

3) How old are the shingles? curled, damaged, brittle?

4) is it is just the tab of a three tab shingle not a huge problem because they overlap.

Since this has happened multiple times may be time for a new roof. Archetypical shingles withstand wind much better then three-tab type, and IMHO look better, but they cost a little more.

/tom

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

4. How long is OK to wait with two missing shingles? I will call on Monday but I don't know when he can get out here.

Depends. If there is still overlap on the area where the shingles or parts of shingles went missing, it should be fine. However, if there is no overlap water WILL get underneath and then you'll have water leaking in when it rains.

Get up on the roof and have a look at it. If it's going to be problem and there's rain in the forecast, do whatever you need to do to keep the water off that section until you can get someone to fix it.

My parents found out about this the hard way. Its near impossible to find a roofer in their city that is willing to do such a small repair job (all the roofers are overburdened with new-construction jobs already), and in the 3 weeks that it took to find someone, the inevitable happened. Fortunately the water damage was limited to the ceiling inside the kitchen pantry. Don't let that happen to you!

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

I tried to run it through my insurance company last time and they said they wouldn't even send someone out to look at it and they wouldn't cover anything. Sounded like bull but they also charge $200 less a year than all the other companies so I guess I get what I pay for.

I remember when I lived at home the insurance company (different one) would even cover my computer in a power surge. Not sure why a roof wouldn't be covered.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1

Time for a new insurance company.

Ask what your coverage is for roof damage and why they would not cover this damage.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

I remember when I lived at home the insurance company (different one) would even cover my computer in a power surge.

Surge damage is quite often difficult/impossible to prove and they know it. I would guess that most power surge claims are probably denied as it is very difficult to differentiate between surge damage and "normal" equipment failure.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
reply to fartness

What is your Deductible?
Homeowner's policies with Deductibles less than $2500 tend to have much higher premiums.

If the damage estimate is less than the Deductible, then it'll be totally out-of-pocket.

Note that some policies have different Catastrophic Windstorm Deductible amounts, as well...
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to pende_tim

said by pende_tim:

Ask what your coverage is for roof damage and why they would not cover this damage.

I will ask them. If they refuse, I will tell them I will look elsewhere.

I also think they said something last time that pretty much said if all your neighbors reported roof damage to their houses, then they would maybe cover it.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to fartness

Same storm, just a day earlier... Blew a few off of my house too. It looks like something (debris) may have hit the shingle.
I had some spare shingles in the shed, so I got up there right away and put them on before the rain hit. Fortunately it didn't rain hard. I noticed the shingles are not "glued" together any more in certain areas. I believe this is damage from ice damming.

I'll be putting a new roof on soon. This one is ruined and too old to keep fixing. BTW, if it's just a few shingles, the repair is probably less than your deductible. I have a $1000 deductible. I can put a new roof on myself for $1500.

I was standing in the kitchen trying to fix my broke-ass refrigerator whilst keeping an eye on the debris flying through the back yard. I said, "uh-oh, some poor saps shingles are flying around in the yard". Come to find out, I was the poor sap. Driving around town today, the streets are filled with shingles. It seems like roofers have all the luck...
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

Also, I was told if I get a new roof, it will have to be a total tear off. Not sure why or what's under it. Might make it ok for me to wait until the roofer comes to fix the damage.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

reply to nunya

said by nunya:

I'll be putting a new roof on soon. This one is ruined and too old to keep fixing. BTW, if it's just a few shingles, the repair is probably less than your deductible. I have a $1000 deductible. I can put a new roof on myself for $1500.

I was standing in the kitchen trying to fix my broke-ass refrigerator whilst keeping an eye on the debris flying through the back yard. I said, "uh-oh, some poor saps shingles are flying around in the yard". Come to find out, I was the poor sap. Driving around town today, the streets are filled with shingles. It seems like roofers have all the luck...

Maybe it depends on area of the country but with the great colors that metal roofing comes in now and the durability over shingles, why stick to shingles? The benefits of snow being taken off of it is also much better from what I have seen, not that this woould matter to you down there though. Not sure if the heat down south would create issues?

Does it basically all just come down to cost? I think a nice looking metal roof looks real sharp on a house.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 recommendation

Hail. Every house would look like a golf ball. We usually get a "high-damage" hail storm every 2-3 years. Although lately it seems like we get them several times a year.
While metal roofs have improved, there's still something tacky about the way they look. Maybe if I lived out in the country. It doesn't seem to fit in with the subdivision.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

I'm in NY and remember major hail once maybe 20 years ago. I think other than that it hailed once and it was small and of no consequence. I don't see metal roofs around here though.

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

1 recommendation

reply to fartness

Re: [Roofing] shingles blew off

I would be very careful about calling your insurance company. The house insurance business has migrated to a business model like that of auto insurance. Make a claim, your rates go up. Make too many claims, they cancel your policy.

You need to google all about the C.L.U.E database (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange) and the horror stories people are telling.

You dont even have to make a claim. Just talking to your agent is enough to get an entry in the database.

Insurance is meant for catastrophic losses not minor events like missing shingles. So go up on the roof and look around. If its only a few shingles, fix it yourself or hire someone. If its an old roof with curled, cupped brittle tabs, then just replace it out of your pocket. The only way I'd even consider calling the insurance company is if a substantial portion of the roof was missing and it was obvious the storm caused it and even then you'd probably only get a prorated reimbursement based on the life of the old roof.

Pick your battles with the insurance company. This isnt one of them.

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
Reviews:
·Service Electric..
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

1. Is it normal for shingles to blow off when it's very windy out?

So many smart assed answers and so little time

Actually wind is the enemy of any roof. You could have a 3 day old roof, installed in somewhat cold conditions and have a pile of shingles ripped off from heavy wind because they didn't seal yet.

It also depends on how the roof was installed. Staples suck and so do people to nail too high. Another problem is when someone installs the roof with a nailgun that blasts the nails part way through the shingles. This cuts down on the tear strength of the shingle.

Or it could be your roof showing its age. 10-15 year old roof with crappy 3tab shingles could be close to needing replacement.

Stand on the ground so you can look up at the roof as a flat plane. If you can start to see the corners of the shingles curling it is a good sign you will need to toe tag it soon.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to fartness

A few shingles blown off and possibly some that are close to coming off from the storm is probably not worth involving your insurance company. If other houses have similar damage, I'm betting you'll see some roofing crews in your neighborhood in the next few days. If so, approach one of them and tell them you have a simple, cash job for them. I'm sure you can get this done for $250 tops....

Quattrohead
Premium
join:2005-02-09
reply to fartness

Sounds like you are getting a gental warning its time to get a new roof installed.

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to fartness

if shingles are blowing off and your roof is that old i suggest replacing the entire roof. tear it down and replace with metal shingles if you have the budget or asphalt otherwise. do it only in the summer though.

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fartness

Get a roofer (or 2) to give a written opinion and estimate. Shouldn't be a problem with the insurance company to get a new roof if other shingles have blown off and if it's old. Depending on your deductible, it might be the way to go. Homowners insurance would rather replace a roof than replace a roof and the wet contents of the house.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by joewho:

Get a roofer (or 2) to give a written opinion and estimate. Shouldn't be a problem with the insurance company to get a new roof if other shingles have blown off and if it's old. Depending on your deductible, it might be the way to go. Homowners insurance would rather replace a roof than replace a roof and the wet contents of the house.

Why would anyone pay to replace their roof then if they can just tell the insurance company to replace it because its old? Seems like you would be up the creek if you ignore the old age and just wait for something to happen so you can have insurance cover it after the fact.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

After every hail storm, someone stops by and offers to replace our aluminum siding on the insurance. I know my comment is a stretch, but if there are missing shingles right now, it's storm damage.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Wind damage is different than hail.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to fartness

Our old house "told" us we needed a new roof by doing exactly that: every time we had a moderately windy storm we found a few shingles on the ground. That's wear and tear, it never occurred to me it might be an insurable failure, the roof was just worn out.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

Roof is around 10 to 15 years old.

Our asphalt shingles started coming off during strong gusts after about 15 years. After some minor leaks which caused staining of popcorn ceilings, I finally replaced all the shingles.

The owner of the roofing company explained how shingle warranty and insurance actually works. Read the fine print of both documents very carefully - you will be seriously disappointed.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

said by lutful:

Our asphalt shingles started coming off during strong gusts after about 15 years. After some minor leaks which caused staining of popcorn ceilings, I finally replaced all the shingles.

The owner of the roofing company explained how shingle warranty and insurance actually works. Read the fine print of both documents very carefully - you will be seriously disappointed.

So tell us

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

»www.iko.com/publication/iko-unif···pa_open/

Fine print for IKO shingles we used contains this clause: "Shingles have a manufacturing defect that has resulted in a leak" ... but the leaks were due to high wind blowing them away after many years on the roof. So their 20yr warranty did not apply. Of course we forgot to notify IKO in writing when we purchased the house back in 1996.

The lady at the insurance company essentially laughed when I asked about any kind of compensation for re-roofing.

»www.cooperators.ca/en/answer-cen···ape.aspx

If you keep on top of maintenance, your asphalt shingle roof is more likely to last its full lifespan of 15 to 20 years.
If you replace your roof and you have home insurance with us, don’t forget to let us know so we can keep your file up to date.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

said by lutful:

"Shingles have a manufacturing defect that has resulted in a leak" ... but the leaks were due to high wind blowing them away after many years on the roof.

I'm not following this. Are you saying that the warranty doesn't apply if you claim that the "Shingles have a manufacturing defect that has resulted in a leak" ... but the leaks were due to high wind blowing them away after many years on the roof."?

How is that a manufacturing defect?

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to fartness

I don't know.

I've had 3 new roofs from insurance.

Never spent a nickel.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Were they due to hurricanes or tornados?

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

Hail. The roofers more than ate the deductible.