join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aurgathor

Re: 12V LED lights

said by aurgathor:

Yesterday I just had a long power outage in the evening/night, so I wonder if anyone ever tried to use 12V LED light bulbs for illumination.

I happen to have a 12V battery in the kitchen hooked up to a float charger, so with an efficient bulb or two, I can have quite a bit of light. I just searched and saw a few 12V light bulbs, many for automotive use, and I wonder if there is a way to know if they use a resistor, or some low loss electronics to regulate the current.

TIA

I found it much easier to use a 12v -> 120v inverter and a lamp with some CFL or LED bulbs.

I have an automotive jump station (an older model of this and used it with the inverter during Hurricane Sandy in the periods between generator runs. (I was cycling about 8 on / 8 off or so.). It would recharge during the 'on' cycle so I always had at least some lights. Had no problem getting 7-8 hours of 3x CFL lights + a MiFi + cell phone charger.

Long 8 days, but we were relatively comfortable, at least compared to others.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by dennismurphy:

I found it much easier to use a 12v -> 120v inverter and a lamp with some CFL or LED bulbs.

Easier? Probably.
More efficient? Probably not.
--
.sig

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to dennismurphy
8 days? We had 18 days after Isabel in 2003 and 11 days after Irene. The Honda Generator was a Godsend even if it did cost a fortune to run.

Your Inverter/CFL set up sounds very interesting for the time the generator is off at night from about 11pm to 7am in the morning.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
Click for full size
Coleman generator under High Tech Rain Shelter :)
said by Jack_in_VA:

8 days? We had 18 days after Isabel in 2003 and 11 days after Irene. The Honda Generator was a Godsend even if it did cost a fortune to run.

Your Inverter/CFL set up sounds very interesting for the time the generator is off at night from about 11pm to 7am in the morning.

My Coleman generator is loud, obnoxious and did I mention loud? - but I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China. It worked beautifully every time we've needed it.

I'm not normally a fan of CFLs, but in this case, they were perfect. I have a small inverter - 150w if I recall - but it's all I needed to run 3 lamps. It's not a primary power source but gave us reading lights and such while the generator was off.

Something like this.

I'm sure stringing 12v lights would've been more efficient but the battery + inverter setup was fine for us and got us through the down time. Not to mention, it's a lot easier to
throw the inverter in my go-box I keep with the generator than to worry about finding 12v lights.