spc
Search similar:

uniqs
enamarie
join:2014-02-22
United State

enamarie

[Speed] Paying for 15.0 Mbit, getting 3 in McKinleyville CA

I'm getting abnormally slow speeds on my 15 Mbit connection. I don't have any downloads or anything running and I was just wondering if anyone has any idea why this might be happening.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Have you tried other speed test sites or servers? Your ping looks pretty high there on the one you posted.

Have you looked at your modems signal levels?

It could also be the time of day, your node might be reaching its peek output during primetime.

Its hard to say without more data.
enamarie
join:2014-02-22
United State

enamarie

I am not sure about other sites. That speedtest server seems to be the best one. I'll run another test sometime during non-peak hours and see if it's better.

Can you explain how I would go about testing modem signal levels?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to enamarie

Premium Member

to enamarie
You would need to look up your modem, and find out where you can access the signal levels.

Most modems I've known, use the address »192.168.100.1

From that page, you should be able to navigate to a page, showing your signal levels.

As for the speed test site. You can pick other servers on the speedtest.net site. None are closer to you? None provide different results?

If you test there often, is your ping always in the 60s? Higher? Lower? The latency could be a result of other issues, unless thats normal for that test site.
ws119
join:2005-05-01
united state

ws119 to enamarie

to enamarie
I'm in Humboldt too. SL recently rolled out an upgrade for our area. It was supposed to fix the issue of slow speeds during peak hours, but I'm not entirely convinced that it was completely successful.

It could be equipment, but I'm willing to bet that if you do a speedtest during the day on a weekday that you'll get at least 15mb.

My service used to be around 0.5-1mb down every night during peak hour. It now looks more like the speed test that you posted. Sure, it's "better", but if I'm getting 3mb and that's all that they can reasonably deliver, I'd rather just pay for 3mb.
mdwerner6942
join:2014-03-03
Henryetta, OK

mdwerner6942 to enamarie

to enamarie
I am in Oklahoma and just got service myself for 15 MB went from Uverse 6 MB, ping at one time was as high as 1181, speeds as low as .62-.89, then up and I have tried other servers, now I am told there trying to implement a fix in area, guess Motorola Modems are now actually ARRIS there support and firmware updates rely on service providers. This was after setup the next day, now it is slightly better but even a 30 MB customer emailed my son and was getting very bad speeds also. Not sure if this helps and not used this sight in years, but hope this helps and hope my communication to them helps us all sooner rather then later.

Sigh
@suddenlink.net

Sigh to ws119

Anon

to ws119
Yes, I'm in McKinleyville and saw improved speed, but after a month+ of being able to stream or game again, I'm slow again during evenings.