spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Scenuel

join:2014-02-23
Hickory, NC

[Landscaping] Expense of leveling out my yard!?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I have a 30 ft wide with a 6ft drop on my backyard and on one side of my house a 40 to 50 ft wide with a 6ft drop that levels out on my front yard!

Theres already a retaining wall on the other side with 6x6x10 long landscape timbers
I would have to stay with the same timbers to match my other wall!

I had an estimate with a home remodeling contractor of $10-15k (thats crazy)

Any idea on how much i would spend????

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
That does not sound unreasonable at all. Besides the fill needed you must have retaining walls built. Drained and graded. Your properties are close on the sides. You do not want to mess that up.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to Scenuel
$10-15K doesn't sound crazy at all. I would avoid using the timbers again unless you plan on moving wight away.
Two wrongs don't make a right. All wood, no matter how much poison you coat it with, will rot and get termites. I'm surprised they were even allowed to use wood for a retaining wall the first time.
If you intend for a retaining wall to last, it should be stone or concrete.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Scenuel
By looking at the pictures I think you're going to have more problems than you want after leveling that out. Retaining walls like those you have probably are not going to be sufficient with more fill behind them, you're probably going to have to go to some type of engineered solution. If you don't you are constantly going to have problems with the retaining walls trying to collapse and deteriorate.

The cost estimates you received sound quite reasonable considering the circumstances. Accessibility is definitely going to be an issue for doing the work and in most areas decent fill dirt is not cheap. You also probably will need a permit from your local AHJ because you're going to be making significant changes in the drainage pattern of the area.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Scenuel
Materials are cheap. Landscaping is mostly labor. Doesn't seem unreasonable, but yes, you'll spend a lot less if you do it yourself and don't account for your own labor and the wear and tear on your body.

Price out the timbers or whatever you want, drain pipe, fill and sod etc. as well as the tools you'll need to rent or buy. Don't forget tieback systems depending on the height you need. Also make sure any water dumped by your drainage system has someplace to go besides into your neighbor's yard and house, regardless of what happens now.

If you have not located stakes and an accurate survey, make sure you get a survey from a licensed surveyor before you lift that shovel. Local board meeting minutes are full of stories about (presumably depressed) people who built stuff on somebody else's property or without approval. You also need to have all the utilities located including private utilities such as branch circuits and sprinkler systems.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to Scenuel
Also I would never go with wood timbers again.
You need to go with something like this
»www.versa-lok.com/

It is not technically hard but it is a lot labor to do it right .

»www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to ··· dex.html
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

Booost

@151.190.40.x
reply to Scenuel
We have wooden retaining walls where I live. 25 years later, they're collapsing and need to be replaced.

Don't use wood.

DarkHelmet

join:2014-02-21
said by Booost :

We have wooden retaining walls where I live. 25 years later, they're collapsing and need to be replaced.

Don't use wood.

He's already got wood so to keep the look uniform that's his best option.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
said by DarkHelmet:

said by Booost :

Don't use wood.

He's already got wood so to keep the look uniform that's his best option.

Probably not. I'm sure the wooden retaining walls he has presently were not built to be extended any taller so they will have to be removed anyway. Once that happens there is no sense in using wood again, he might just as well do it the right way! That way he will never have to do it again.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

KirkyInCT

join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT
kudos:1
reply to Scenuel
Last year, avg 3ft * 70ft wall done with concrete brick was $11K with materials... About 30ft of that was 6ft so it required some engineering...

Took two guys about 4 days...

We used www.techo-bloc.com mini creta...