Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

[request] Unlock the Red and Blue rooms

I know this may be controversial as there are fears of re-creating the back room but hear me out... Many people have views that are not necessarily left or right leaning all the time. Call us freethinkers or whatever.

Site traffic in the political forums seems to have greatly slowed over the years. Some days there may be only one thread that gets updated. Posters may want to comment on a thread in a different forum but are unable to do so because of the 45 day lockout. To me, the Red and Blue rooms represent differing ends of a philosophical spectrum. However the lockout doesn't encourage discussion on the variety of topics. Instead, it separates people. People are not as left or right as the lockout suggests. However the lockout forces this separation and so many people probably end up just never posting.

The Red Room should be a forum that focuses on right leaning topics. The Blue Room should be one for topics of the left. Topics are right and left, but people are not. Most people have at least some view that swings either left or right depending upon the discussion. Make the rooms about discussing left and right topics, not about creating left and right people... Trolls can always be blocked; perhaps for 45 days. I just think it will create an atmosphere for better discussion.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
*object*

That said, I'll briefly comment.

said by Sly:

Many people have views that are not necessarily left or right leaning all the time. Call us freethinkers or whatever.

I suggest you drop in on the blue room. There are a number of free thinkers there.
said by Sly:

Site traffic in the political forums seems to have greatly slowed over the years.

It peaks in presidential election years. So just wait two for two years and you will see activity pick up.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 13.1; KDE 4.11.5; firefox 27.0

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

3 recommendations

reply to Sly
How about an experimental 'purple' room that could be closed again when if things get out of hand?
Expand your moderator at work

FureverFurry
Premium
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to DrStrange

Re: [request] Unlock the Red and Blue rooms

said by DrStrange:

How about an experimental 'purple' room that could be closed again when if things get out of hand?

YES !! Please let us have a "purple" or moderate forum ... please. If one posts in the Red room, the Blue room rules state that one then can't post in the the Blue room. That in itself seems a bit intolerant (per se) for liberals.

At any rate, there are far more of us moderates or free thinkers than would be suspected.

Thanks for considering our request for a moderate forum.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by FureverFurry:

If one posts in the Red room, the Blue room rules state that one then can't post in the the Blue room.

And vice-versa.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

anonomeX

@comcast.net
Hey... don't real politicians flip-flop all the time?

You could let members pick their affiliation as a profile setting, but they could change it, say, once a year.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
We can already flip-flop by not posting for 45 days.

I really think there should be a room for discussion of how to bridge the differences between progressives and conservatives to get the country back on track. We can leave the partisan stuff in the Red and Blue rooms and try to move beyond it in the Purple room.

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
kudos:2
reply to Sly
I completely agree, in fact I had not known about this thread and posted on the same topic which was very quickly locked »White Room

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to Sly
I am purple also but can see why both rooms are locked. They should stay that way. I am sure any Moderators with past experience in a unlocked political forum will agree.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Sly
I'm for going a step further and locking the rooms like the canadian room is. If you are not invited or have a good reason to read the posts, than you are out. It annoys me to no end to get IMs from left wing wackos and people from other countries blathering on and on about how the US sucks and their country is so wonderful

SunnyFL
Premium
join:2001-02-08
reply to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

said by FureverFurry:

If one posts in the Red room, the Blue room rules state that one then can't post in the the Blue room.

And vice-versa.

Agreed +1 Reason for rules around here to keep things straight.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to Sly

Well I can see why Justin has those 2 bases the way he has them...

They are politically motivated areas and can become QUITE HOT.. If someone has a certain view and then turns around and has the opposite opinon on the other base,it could really tick someone off...... I think the political bases are maintained MUCH BETTER on this site than they are on most.... (Alot of sites dont allow political chat because it gets out of hand which ultimatly falls on staff members to maintain which is too much at times (On top of what they already have to do))

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

1 edit
reply to Sly

*object*
The Red room and Blue room need to stay locked.

I vote for the creation of an Independent/Moderate/Purple Room Forum

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to Sly

I think when we take a step back we can all see the way its done here IS MUCH BETTER to keep things calmer,etc........... (Most ppl cannot handle wide open conditions)

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5
reply to Sly

Unlock? I'd vote for elimination myself.
--
sudo is dangerous but root is death!

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to Sly
*sign*

It can't get any worse.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
reply to Sly
Sign.

When is a decision made?

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to Sly
Just my $0.02;

In Canada we also have partisanship all the time. HOWEVER, there are sometimes some open minded people who truly change the landscape.
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"