Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

3 recommendations

jlivingood

Premium Member

[Connectivity] Netflix and Comcast Agreement Announced

FYI - I thought this news would be of interest here:

Comcast and Netflix have announced a mutually beneficial interconnection agreement that will provide our Xfinity Internet customers with a high-quality Netflix video experience for years to come. Working collaboratively over many months, we and Netflix have established a more direct connection between us, similar to other networks, that’s already delivering an even better user experience to consumers, while also allowing for future growth in Netflix traffic. Netflix receives no preferential network treatment under the multi-year agreement*, terms of which are not being disclosed.

* Under the FCC's Open Internet rules all Internet traffic must be treated equally.
Starquest
join:2014-02-01

Starquest

[Connectivity] Re: Netflix and Comcast Agreement Announced

Thanks for the update. When can we expect an improvement in the service?

jlivingood
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by Starquest:

Thanks for the update. When can we expect an improvement in the service?

Well, as noted in other threads, folks have already noticed the interconnection points coming online. But IIRC Netflix is something like 1/3 of peak hour Internet traffic, which is a LOT, so that capacity won't come online overnight. That said, we've obviously both been working on this for awhile and both know what areas need ports first, so hopefully very soon (some may see it in days).
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Good news to hear.

Metalsaber
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

Metalsaber

Anon

I can say that my connection from W PA to netflix in Wilmington DE has been terrible around 4pm on for awhile now. I hope we see some improvement in my area and not just major city centers.
Starquest
join:2014-02-01

Starquest

I would like to hear from both Comcast AND Netflix what they consider acceptable for QOS. Is waiting 30 sec to buffer HD acceptable? Two minutes? Five? At what point should I investigate a possible network problem?
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by Starquest:

I would like to hear from both Comcast AND Netflix what they consider acceptable for QOS. Is waiting 30 sec to buffer HD acceptable? Two minutes? Five? At what point should I investigate a possible network problem?

30 secs is acceptable.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

30 secs is acceptable.

30 seconds is marginally acceptable, and only if the buffering only occurs once.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to Starquest

to Starquest
said by Starquest:

Is waiting 30 sec to buffer HD acceptable?

It is if you actually get "HD". I haven't seen that since the Great Christmas Collapse here in Chicago. Although the rampant buffering issues for SD that have been driving my wife nuts (and by extension, me too) seem to have abated.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 edit

whfsdude to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

But IIRC Netflix is something like 1/3 of peak hour Internet traffic, which is a LOT, so that capacity won't come online overnight.

It should be interesting to see your v6 traffic numbers in a couple of months. Level3's CDN was v4 only. OpenConnect is dual stack.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to jlivingood

News Guy

to jlivingood
Does this new agreement technically involve having Comcast now hosting Netflix Open Connect CDN gear?

jlivingood
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

It should be interesting to see hear your v6 traffic numbers in a couple of months. Level3's CDN was v4 only. OpenConnect is dual stack.

I know! I can't wait to see how the v6 traffic numbers look. It will be really interesting if this really moves the needle on global IPv6 traffic volumes.
jlivingood

jlivingood to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

Does this new agreement technically involve having Comcast now hosting Netflix Open Connect CDN gear?

This is an interconnection agreement.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

we've obviously both been working on this for awhile

Is that why the IPv6 deployment seems to have stalled these past couple three months --- networking resources were moved to the Netflix project?

jlivingood
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by camper:

Is that why the IPv6 deployment seems to have stalled these past couple three months --- networking resources were moved to the Netflix project?

No. The IPv6 deployment has actually been continuing (holidays are network change moratoriums though).

RokuHBOgo
@comcast.net

RokuHBOgo to jlivingood

Anon

to jlivingood
Good to hear about Netflix improvements. Now when can we expect Comcast to allow streaming of HBOgo on Roku boxes?

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight

said by RokuHBOgo :

Good to hear about Netflix improvements. Now when can we expect Comcast to allow streaming of HBOgo on Roku boxes?

Don't know about Roku, but I can stream HBOgo to Chromecast and just found out I can also stream it to my Samsung Smart TV and set that up yesterday.
swanlee
join:2013-12-05

swanlee to jlivingood

to jlivingood
Any chance comcast would treat netflix like a comcast service and not count netflix traffic against the data caps?
keenan424
join:2003-01-13
Santa Rosa, CA

keenan424 to jlivingood

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

said by Karl Bode:

This is an interconnection agreement.

Meaning no, the OC device is not located within the Comcast network, only connected with Netflix data streams via the same data transit center? Can you tell us how this agreement is different from using a Netflix Open Connect system?

The bottom line question being does this agreement provide Comcast subs with OC-quality streaming or is a "better than it was but not as good as it could be" solution?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to swanlee

Premium Member

to swanlee
said by swanlee:

Any chance comcast would treat netflix like a comcast service and not count netflix traffic against the data caps?

No. Not unless Comcast started selling a Netflix branded service and got to collect some of the additional subscriber fees for it. It would also have to be available for TV-service through their cable box, like VOD.
madbavarian
join:2013-03-05
Fremont, CA

madbavarian to jlivingood

to jlivingood
Hopefully someone can put a bit of pressure on Roku to dual-stack their box. I imagine that would add a big blip in the Netflix ipv6 numbers.
tinky2
Premium Member
join:2013-12-18
usa

1 recommendation

tinky2 to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
That is great news, and makes me happy I switched from FIOS. Thank you!
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
I really do not look forward to becoming a Comcast customer.
wTheOnew
join:2012-03-09

wTheOnew to Streetlight

to Streetlight
said by Streetlight:

Roku, but I can stream HBOgo to Chromecast

I'll just pile on the tens of thousands of posts in the Comcast forums about this, but no HBOgo on the Roku for Comcast is bullshit.

I guess to keep my post in the realm of on topic, I've never had any streaming issues with Netflix to my Roku, but good news for those that have.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

2 recommendations

AVonGauss to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
I don't generally like to post external articles, but this might be an interesting read for some.

»blog.streamingmedia.com/ ··· ong.html

jlivingood
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

I don't generally like to post external articles, but this might be an interesting read for some.

»blog.streamingmedia.com/ ··· ong.html

That's actually a pretty good read - thanks for the pointer. It does seem like a lot of reporters don't quite understand the Internet, as BBR users often notice when reading tech-related news.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11 to wTheOnew

to wTheOnew
said by wTheOnew:

but no HBOgo on the Roku for Comcast is bullshit.

Wow. Didn't know Comcast was blocking this combo. Glad I stuck with my current provider!

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
JLiving-
Since you're a local guy - just read the Philly.com article that said there would be "multiple" direct links here in the Philadelphia area. Any estimate on when those will be live?

jlivingood
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by SeattleMatt:

JLiving-
Since you're a local guy - just read the Philly.com article that said there would be "multiple" direct links here in the Philadelphia area. Any estimate on when those will be live?

Nope. But hopefully quite soon. We've been preparing & doing the groundwork for quite awhile.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Appreciate the info! Thanks. You've made a good # of my friends happy w/ this news!