Search similar:

uniqs

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Finally...

Netflix performance in DC was much better this morning...

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 recommendations

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by IPPlanMan:

Netflix performance in DC was much better this morning...

Are you happy you got your official Comcast/Netflix representative statement now?

They couldn't say anything in detail before because of ongoing negotiations....

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 edit

IPPlanMan

Sure I'm happy. Are you?
How performance was allowed to degrade to this point represented a failure of both parties involved.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by IPPlanMan:

Sure I'm happy. Are you?
How performance was allowed to degrade to this point represented a failure of both parties involved.

It's a start... now the Netflix hangups with Verizon, Time Warner Cable, Charter, etc. need to be resolved.

PlusOne
@comcast.net

2 recommendations

PlusOne

Anon

said by DocDrew:

said by IPPlanMan:

Sure I'm happy. Are you?

It's a start... now the Netflix hangups with Verizon, Time Warner Cable, Charter, etc. need to be resolved.

Which Netflix should have done all along, but refused to because they had a better transit deal with the cheapo Cogent middleman.

Good: Netflix streaming improves greatly with Comcast.
Bad: If Netflix has to do same deal with Verizon and AT&T, then their costs go up and their monthly subscription fee will go up. Instead of $8/mo, maybe I'll have to pay $9. A fair tradeoff in my opinion.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

1 recommendation

nothing00

said by PlusOne :

If Netflix has to do same deal with Verizon and AT&T, then their costs go up and their monthly subscription fee will go up. Instead of $8/mo, maybe I'll have to pay $9. A fair tradeoff in my opinion.

It looks like you're a Comcast subscriber.

I really don't mean this to be an ass but I'm having a difficult time understanding why people don't think they've already paid for their traffic to the Internet?

If you didn't think you were paying them for access to the Internet and services like Netflix.... Why did you sign up with Comcast and what did you think you were paying them for?

connections
@pppoe.ca

connections

Anon

said by nothing00:

I really don't mean this to be an ass but I'm having a difficult time understanding why people don't think they've already paid for their traffic to the Internet?

If you didn't think you were paying them for access to the Internet and services like Netflix.... Why did you sign up with Comcast and what did you think you were paying them for?

They want some weird AOL walled garden cable like experience. Very strange people. How to set the Internet back. Its this kind of greedy nonsense that will ruin the Internet.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to DocDrew

to DocDrew
How much is Netflix raising fee's to cover this secret deal?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 recommendations

DocDrew to connections

Premium Member

to connections
said by connections :

How to set the Internet back. Its this kind of greedy nonsense that will ruin the Internet.

We don't want some AOL walled garden experience... but this is the way the commercial internet has worked for the last 2 decades.

Traffic originator gets billed for distribution and has the responsibility for keeping the bandwidth use under control otherwise they get billed more or cutoff for breaking their agreement.
DocDrew

1 recommendation

DocDrew to gaforces

Premium Member

to gaforces
said by gaforces:

How much is Netflix raising fee's to cover this secret deal?

They've been working on raising fees to pay their costs for a couple years now.

They've already raised fees for new customers, dropping included DVD distribution in the process, and limited concurrent streams per customer unless you pay for a higher tier of service... but they've also been working on doing it again.
»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 095.html
»www.fool.com/investing/g ··· ces.aspx

nothing00
Centereach, NY

1 recommendation

nothing00 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

but this is the way the commercial internet has worked for the last 2 decades.

That's utter garbage. When has an end-user ISP - until very very recently - ever been able to collect money from an online service?

And what allows them to now?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

2 recommendations

DocDrew

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by nothing00:

said by DocDrew:

That's utter garbage. When has an end-user ISP - until very very recently - ever been able to collect money from an online service?

AOL did it years ago with their ATDN network, pretty much the first national ISP with a national network: »www.atdn.net/peering.shtml

CompuServe did it too, but at the time they were big it was more of their private network and not the internet in general.

UUNET started as a backbone provider charging for interconnects and transit before branching out into being an ISP. Verizon owns all of that now.

LOL
@comcast.net

LOL to nothing00

Anon

to nothing00
said by nothing00:

said by DocDrew:

Oh I don't know. Maybe when the internet stopped being used for web pages and predominantly changed in to a system to stream videos. The video streaming changed the whole cost structure and the ISPs adjusted. So the internet changed and so will the way to pay for it. Get used to it and don't stay stuck in the past.

nothing00
Centereach, NY

1 recommendation

nothing00

said by LOL :

Oh I don't know. Maybe when the internet stopped being used for web pages and predominantly changed in to a system to stream videos.

Sorry, wrong answer.

What allows ISPs to do this now is simply how large they've grown and how many users they have locked up behind their gates.

The technical solution really doesn't cost them much of anything. They're seeking a new revenue stream based on taking hostages.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by nothing00:

What allows ISPs to do this now is simply how large they've grown and how many users they have locked up behind their gates.

What has always allowed large ISPs to do it, since this is not a new thing, is their national backbone networks that can allow content providers to bypass traditional 3rd party transit providers.