join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood to funchords

Premium Member

to funchords

Re: Gotta make nice while Comcast is trying to buy Time Warner Cable

said by funchords:

I think this will turn out to be a win-win. Comcast might not like to have to swallow this deal, but it will make their customers happy long term.

Me too, and happy customers are obviously a good thing. In this case, customers want awesome Netflix performance and this helps Comcast and Netflix deliver just that.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Does this deal involve Comcast hosting Netflix Open Connect CDN hardware?
onthecake
join:2003-08-08
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

1 recommendation

onthecake to jlivingood

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

said by funchords:

I think this will turn out to be a win-win. Comcast might not like to have to swallow this deal, but it will make their customers happy long term.

Me too, and happy customers are obviously a good thing. In this case, customers want awesome Netflix performance and this helps Comcast and Netflix deliver just that.

Utter bullshit. The customers will be happy until Netflix passes theses costs on to their entire customer base while at the same time these customers will still be getting rates increased by their provider every single year.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
said by Karl Bode:

Does this deal involve Comcast hosting Netflix Open Connect CDN hardware?

It is interconnect.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

2 recommendations

AVonGauss to onthecake

Premium Member

to onthecake
said by onthecake:

Utter bullshit. The customers will be happy until Netflix passes theses costs on to their entire customer base while at the same time these customers will still be getting rates increased by their provider every single year.

I really doubt Level 3, Cogent provide transit and CDN services for free...

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

1 recommendation

RadioDoc

Forget it, he's rolling

connections
@pppoe.ca

-1 recommendation

connections

Anon

said by RadioDoc:

Forget it, he's rolling

and so are you.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

1 recommendation

RadioDoc

OK, one more and I'll let you revel in your superior wit.

This is and was an ongoing business negotiation no less than what your local grocer negotiates to have milk delivered every day. If you think that is some kind of Mafia extortion, I really don't want to live in your world.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to onthecake

to onthecake
No costs to pass vs it going and paying for it on Cogent its now transiting on Comcast directly.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to jlivingood

to jlivingood
So that is a no !

Please feel free to answer the question instead of going around it.

A better answer would have been, No this deal does not involve a CDN Rack or any CDN gear, it is an interconnect deal.

Then in the sb panel for it you could have said that Comcast had no interest in hosting any netflix CDN gear and the interconnect made better financial sense for comcast.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to onthecake

MVM

to onthecake
It is possible that Netflix is simply paying Comcast what it used to pay Cogent to reach Comcast. In other words, there may not be added transit costs. (I'm guessing that we're not going to see the math.)

As far as rates go -- there is no reason to believe that Comcast will quit raising rates or that Netflix streaming will remain ~$8 a month, with or without this deal.
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

1 recommendation

tanzam75 to RadioDoc

to RadioDoc
said by RadioDoc:

This is and was an ongoing business negotiation no less than what your local grocer negotiates to have milk delivered every day. If you think that is some kind of Mafia extortion, I really don't want to live in your world.

In fact, the analogy is even closer than that.

Supermarkets also charge both sides of the market. Not only does the consumer pay the supermarket for food, but the supermarket also charges the producer for the shelf space.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by tanzam75:

Supermarkets also charge both sides of the market. Not only does the consumer pay the supermarket for food, but the supermarket also charges the producer for the shelf space.

People not directly involved in the business have a little trouble guessing how it is done.

For instance I understand that up until about 1998 networks paid their affiliate stations to carry their programming, thinking that it was a way to sell a larger audience to advertisers. Now, I believe it is the other way around, affiliates pay for programming.

I don't know how the advertising money is split. I assume that some advertising time is reserved for local stations.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 edit

Skippy25 to jlivingood

to jlivingood
After reading additional articles on this it appears you guys did enter into the CDN agreement by peering at their server locations, but are not calling it that for some reason. Therefore I strike my previous comment.