spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jJiggler
@electronicbox.net

jJiggler

Anon

[Cable] Ebox/Videotron throttling VPN.

I have a 10mbit cable connection through ebox and suddenly VPN speeds are down from nearly 10mbit to 1mbit. There is no such throttling when VPN is disconnected, the connection always saturates.

Not just speedtests, downloads cap at approx 160KB/s vs the 1.3MB/s they used to get on the same exact VPN, or when disconnected from the VPN.

What is going on and is this going to continue?
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

LanAdmin

There is absolutely no throttling with EBOX, you will have to check with your VPN provider.
steadler
join:2013-11-08

steadler to jJiggler

to jJiggler
No such problem with my VPN.

JJiggler
@electronicbox.net

JJiggler to LanAdmin

Anon

to LanAdmin
said by LanAdmin:

There is absolutely no throttling with EBOX, you will have to check with your VPN provider.

Understood, and I am following up with them, but the results repeat with every server of theirs I try, they have several. I will post a follow-up here when I get an answer.

Here's the raw speed:
»imgur.com/lN7hyUH

Here's the connected VPN:
»imgur.com/7wQ3OcA
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere

I use a VPN service and have no speed issues at all. I can max out my 25/10 connection.
Phix
join:2006-01-28
Quebec, QC

Phix to jJiggler

to jJiggler
I also can max out my 60mbit connection with my VPN.
foxz88
join:2010-09-02
canada

foxz88 to jJiggler

to jJiggler
No throttling either when I'm using VPN on my 10/1.5 connection.
HoTiCE
join:2008-10-10
H3M

HoTiCE to jJiggler

to jJiggler
Which VPN provider are you using?

from Work?

If so, you might be routing all traffic through the VPN hub hence the slowness when you are connected as their upstream pipe might not be big.

Check your stuff before accusing the ISP.

JJiggler
@fastun.com

JJiggler to jJiggler

Anon

to jJiggler
Hey guys,

Following up with VPN service. On their forums right now is a guy using Bell Fibe with the exact same issue.

What VPN services are you guys using?
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere

Private Internet Access here.

JJiggler
@fastun.com

JJiggler to HoTiCE

Anon

to HoTiCE
said by HoTiCE:

Which VPN provider are you using?

from Work?

If so, you might be routing all traffic through the VPN hub hence the slowness when you are connected as their upstream pipe might not be big.

Check your stuff before accusing the ISP.

Hi hotice,

I have been using BolehVPN for 3 years now with a fully routed connection, latency is high but historically, throughput has always saturated the connection.

This is a brand new issue that started last week.

I don't want to be an accusey kunt since EBox has been fantastic, but it's just strange that all of a sudden, the downstream speed is capped to 1/10 its normal value.

Though this may be related more to a routing issue beyond Ebox's control, I just needed to be sure since I have read the dickweeds at Rogers like to throttle the crap out of VPN traffic.
Phix
join:2006-01-28
Quebec, QC

Phix to JJiggler

to JJiggler
said by JJiggler :

Hey guys,

Following up with VPN service. On their forums right now is a guy using Bell Fibe with the exact same issue.

What VPN services are you guys using?

I use PIA (Private Internet Access). I also used AirVPN in the past.
steadler
join:2013-11-08

steadler to jJiggler

to jJiggler
Using pia also.

Seoman
@96.127.232.x

Seoman

Anon

Hide My Ass here with Ebox. Getting my full 10 Mbps connection. Been with them for a year and a half.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to jJiggler

to jJiggler
I'm hosting my own VPN server at home (Totally not to evade the firewall at work )

I'm only slowed down by the Internet connection at work.
weedb0y
join:2013-04-29
L6Y 0W3

weedb0y to jJiggler

to jJiggler
No ISP would dare throttle VPN connections. Are they crazy? Its most likely a user error.

JJiggler
@electronicbox.net

JJiggler

Anon

GENTS I think I fixed it!

I run a pfSense router on a retardedly overpowered system (well, vs the type of use I intend to do)

Core 2 Duo E6550, 4GB Ram, dual Intel PRO1000 NICs, running a 64-bit kernel.

Well lo and behold, I did some googling and someone discovered that the following system parameter fixes it!

net.inet.ip.fastforwarding defaults to zero. Turns out this RUINS openvpn performance.

Setting the parameter to 1 maxes out the connection!

Here's the catch, if you use IPSEC it fast forwarding will break it.

Weird thing is I was running PFsense on an embeded platform, never had an issue. Only when I set up the "new" pfsense router did it go to crap. Thing is I only noticed a couple weeks later so I never put 2 and 2 together

Hyrules
join:2006-07-19
Gatineau, QC

Hyrules

thanks for the info. I'm also running pfsense and this tweak has the potential of giving a 20% performances increase in network speed. but like you said it breaks IPSEC but I don't use it so here it goes.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to jJiggler

to jJiggler
Do any of you guys that use PIA or another VPN have chromecasts? I can never get a straight answer if it is possible to get it to work (PIA just said not supported)

Currently I use Unblockus with IPTables setup on my DD-WRT router, want to go fully VPN

hsheriff
join:2012-09-04
Saint-Lambert, QC

hsheriff

I don't have a chromecast, but if you are wanting to route your entire network through a VPN, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also note that if you are connected to the VPN at the router level, you may encounter speed issues related to the routers CPU. For example, I get 100% CPU utilization when I push 10mbps through my Linksys e2000 running Tomato for both OpenVPN and PPTP, and I have never been able to get past 10mbps.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to JJiggler

to JJiggler
It would be nice if you could change the title of your thread since it has been demonstrated that your problem was user-created and had nothing to do with eBox or Videotron throttling anything.