join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to GadgetsRme

Mod

to GadgetsRme

Re: [Plumbing] Low lead vs no lead in residential plumbing

said by GadgetsRme:

said by robbin See Profile
It is still legal for use in previously installed potable systems.

This is incorrect. If an item containing a level of lead higher than is allowed under the new standard can be repaired in place it can remain in an existing potable system. If it is taken out for any reason, it can not be reinstalled and must be replaced with an item that meets the current standard for lead.

Yes, so if it is previously installed, then it is legal to use.
said by UHF:

It appears to me that valve is not legal for sale or use in the USA after January 4, 2014 if it contains more than .2% lead.

Still safe for use, just can't install a new one or repair the existing. Of course, enforcement appears to be state by state so who knows what is legal in any specific location.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF

MVM

said by robbin:

said by GadgetsRme:

said by robbin See Profile
It is still legal for use in previously installed potable systems.

This is incorrect. If an item containing a level of lead higher than is allowed under the new standard can be repaired in place it can remain in an existing potable system. If it is taken out for any reason, it can not be reinstalled and must be replaced with an item that meets the current standard for lead.

Yes, so if it is previously installed, then it is legal to use.
said by UHF:

It appears to me that valve is not legal for sale or use in the USA after January 4, 2014 if it contains more than .2% lead.

Still safe for use, just can't install a new one or repair the existing. Of course, enforcement appears to be state by state so who knows what is legal in any specific location.

You took that a little too literally. It is illegal to place it into use. Is that better?

Retailers were required to remove all old stock that contained lead by Jan 4, 2014.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Thanks, but once again, it is still legal to sell just not for potable water. If I'm wrong on that, please correct me.
said by UHF:

Retailers were required to remove all old stock that contained lead

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
If an item is taken out of a system for any reason it MUST be replaced with a standards compliant item. If not, it is in violation of the of the standards.

_____ _ ______
CWP, OIC (Certified Water Professional, Operator in Charge)
Town of _________
Water Enterprise

I took my latest certification test less than on year ago.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Did I say different? I stated that it is not illegal for the device to be in use for potable water. I also stated that there is nothing requiring "all" plumbing fittings to be certified for potable water. It is not "illegal" to be in use.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme

Premium Member

To the uninformed reader your initial post, referring to the item in question from previous post, could taken to mean that a non standards compliant item could be used because it is a system installed before the new standards. Since this is an advice forum for those who know to help those who don't, it is important to be very clear. That's all I'm after.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to robbin

MVM

to robbin
I've seen the letter a local retailer received saying that the EPA was requiring them to remove all the old stock. Now, since this was a home center, it's can safely be assumed that it is potable water. Shower heads, bath faucets, etc, all being thrown in the trash for not being compliant. Sure, I suppose they could be used somewhere legally, but why in world would a retailer leave it on the shelf and risk the wrath of the EPA??

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

The minute amount of lead is of no consequence. We've been using these devices, drinking water that has come through pipes soldered with solder containing lead for years and years and we are still alive. In today's nanny state headed by the EPA I am not in the least inclined to tear out my copper piping installed in 1954 for the most part.

And....as been pointed out in a previous post the amount of lead leeching out is less than the natural lead content of the water.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to UHF

Premium Member

to UHF
said by UHF:

Shower heads, bath faucets, etc, all being thrown in the trash for not being compliant.

The funny thing is that these new rules don't apply to bath/shower faucets.

/M

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis to UHF

Premium Member

to UHF
said by UHF:

Shower heads, bath faucets, etc, all being thrown in the trash for not being compliant.

Seems a bit counter productive. Keep the lead out of the plumbing, but let it leach into the ground water. Good idea...