spc
uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to alphageek911

to alphageek911

Re: 12V LED lights

I do know that with 120 VAC devices, unless they use something like 30+ LEDs in series, they must use an electronic regulator or be horribly inefficient; however, with 12 VDC, they could use 3 - 4 LEDs in series and a small resistor.
alphageek911
join:2007-08-10
Fresno, CA

alphageek911

said by aurgathor:

With 12 VDC, they could use 3 - 4 LEDs in series and a small resistor.

They could; I've never seen that in a commercial product, though.

I have some very cheap offshore import MR16 LED lamps, and even they have switching regulators in them. I can get IC LED driver boards from China for less than 50 cents each, even in small quantities, so cost isn't really that much of an issue.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 edit

aurgathor

Good to hear that. So I guess I can assume that unless proven otherwise, 12V LED lamps will be using switching regulators.
alphageek911
join:2007-08-10
Fresno, CA

alphageek911

said by aurgathor:

Good to hear that. So I guess I can assume that unless proven otherwise, 12V LED lamps will be using switching regulators.

All I've come across have, at least. Another choice if you need brighter lights could be automotive HID lights, they are nearly as efficient as LED, and are available in higher wattage configuration (35 and 55 Watt are common), at a reasonable cost.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by alphageek911:

said by aurgathor:

So I guess I can assume that unless proven otherwise, 12V LED lamps will be using switching regulators.

All I've come across have, at least.

Yes.

Modern 12V LED lamp assemblies accept "nominal" 12V which varies based on battery status in a car or AC voltage in a home. A tiny driver board is hidden inside the base of larger lamps. Above is an MR16 lamp.

Very small automotive lamps often use a single LED and a surface mount driver IC on same board.