All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Disabling wireless radio in a wireless routers.

I would like to use a wireless router in a wired only application. When the user removes the check from enable wireless radio, is the radio actually powered down or just disconnected from the network while still transmitting a signal?

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Are you thinking it will simply be an unnamed WiFi access point when you uncheck that and someone could still access it ?
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

said by Hall:

Are you thinking it will simply be an unnamed WiFi access point when you uncheck that and someone could still access it ?

That is not what I am worried about. I do not want an additional, unneeded radio broadcasting adding interference. Several years ago I wanted to use an 802.11B wireless router as a wired router but found that unchecking the enable radio check box did not power down the radio, it only disconnected the radio from the network. The radio kept broadcasting the SSID even though one could not connect to the network. I had two 802.11G access points that I wanted to use. I wound up using a wired router.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

depends on the router. run inssider once disabling the wireless and see if there is still a broadcast