onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Cloud Storage

Is there a way to take an external HDD and make it accessible from anywhere without it being connected to a computer? ...basically a cloud device?

It IS connected to a wifi router, and it is accessible from within the network. But can I assign it an IP somehow and access it from outside the network? And if so, how?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Did you see the latest news? Buy an Asus router
»arstechnica.com/security ··· ed-flaw/

I've never used them, but there's personal cloud storage devices available now, I would hope they offer some security.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

»arstechnica.com/security ··· ed-flaw/

I've never used them, but there's personal cloud storage devices available now, I would hope they offer some security.

I want to use what I have. Not looking to purchase anything additional.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

IF you can put OpenWRT on the router and IF it has enough flash/RAM/CPU power to run OpenVPN then yes, but it'll be SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW. Otherwise, no. At least not without giving the entire internet access to everything on the HDD.

/M
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
I think it depends on your router. So if you provide a few more details, someone might be able to help. I know some routers with stock firmware can do what you're wanting to do.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

It IS connected to a wifi router, and it is accessible from within the network. But can I assign it an IP somehow and access it from outside the network? And if so, how?

what kind of router do you have?

since you say the drive is visible on your internal network, look at your router's setup pages for an advanced usb setting page - for example with my Netgear routers that is found under USB Storage -> Advanced Settings.

if you are lucky there is an option to enable http and or ftp via Internet.. it could look something like this:

all you would need to do is select http or ftp, along with an appropriate username/password - then from the outside you enter the address url as shown which would most likely be hxxp://your.ip.address/sharename

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by beerbum:

said by onebadmofo:

what kind of router do you have?

since you say the drive is visible on your internal network, look at your router's setup pages for an advanced usb setting page - for example with my Netgear routers that is found under USB Storage -> Advanced Settings.

if you are lucky there is an option to enable http and or ftp via Internet.. it could look something like this:

all you would need to do is select http or ftp, along with an appropriate username/password - then from the outside you enter the address url as shown which would most likely be hxxp://your.ip.address/sharename

It looks exactly like that. The router is a Netgear WNDR4500.

And I have the HTTP checked on, but there is no place to add a password. Only a place to enter credentials is to register. Which fails by the way even though I created an account and can log on to the readyshare webpage. I've also tried the iPad and iPhone app for it to see if I could access via mobile device. The most I can do is log on I can't see any files that are on it.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
quote:
LOL.
(ah well, quoted the wrong link, but still)
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

Is there a way to take an external HDD and make it accessible from anywhere without it being connected to a computer? ...basically a cloud device?

Its called Ready_Share_Cloud and it is builtin. I do not know if this opens the router to WAN requests from anywhere, or creates a connection specifically from the "cloud" only, but Netgear says this is what to do.

»www.netgear.com/landing/ ··· are.aspx