All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rapter13
join:2009-08-13

rapter13

[CenturyTel] CenturyLink Network Degradation during "Peak Times"

Over the last month or so from 5pm to 1am EST though it seems to vary by an hour or so each day, our internet speed drops from our 10/1Mbps to 2/0.4Mbps and sometimes even lower than that. We've had a similar issue last year that was due to bandwidth exhaustion in our area that had since been rectified. I've suggested that this might be the issue again in one of my many calls over the past few months. They tired to help the first time and ended up completely disconnecting my service by changing something on the back-end as they had said.

Queue the first technician that was sent out to see what the issue was, since it is apparently always assumed it is the customers fault. He was very friendly and helpful, after he had tested the lines at my house he went to the relay down the road and he said he found no issues other than one of the grounds improperly done which was generating extra noise on the line, he said that might of been a cause of our internet speed drop during peak times. It hasn't helped any either. After that he came inside to do some tests on the modem and such, and he called into his office and spoke with an administrator I assume and she is the one that caught the issue of what they changed on the back-end that had caused the disconnect issue to begin with.

After that was all said and done the internet worked for about 16 hours until around 9:30am where it promptly shut off. I figured that they might of sent another technician out to see if they could figure out the issue with the speed drop so I gave it a couple hours and it never came back on so I called into tech/repairs to talk to someone again to see what the issue was. I spoke with another lady who did some tests but only to the relay and said she had no problems on her end and assumed it was on our end again, never bothering to try and test to the modem or even communicate with it.

Calling again to get someone else who wasn't able to help, so I called the tech that had left us his number, to see if there was anything he could do to help. After that we ended up getting another technician scheduled for the next day to come out and check it, lucky for us he happened to be in the area and found that our port on the relay was damaged and replaced it. sure enough the second he did our service was restored and still is. Though we are still experiencing the speed issue every night.

I don't know what else the issue could be, this happened on our old 660r modem which I preferred over the "new upgrade" that was forced on us and then a modem rental fee out of no where, so I purchased a TP-8616 ADSL2+ to replace that one and all it's unnecessary and non-working functions and still it happens everyday. Nothing has changed on the modem status our noise margins barely change throughout the day if at all and our data rate has never changed from 11776/895kbps.

Here is a snippet of what the modem stats look like, I've been running this test every minute for over a month now and the only deviation from what's below is the DownSignalNoiseRatioMargin going up by 1dB.

CurrentDownDataRate: 11768 kbit/s
CurrentUpDataRate: 895 kbit/s
MaxDownDataRate: 17268 kbit/s
MaxUpDataRate: 1376 kbit/s
DownLineAttenuation: 16 dB
UpLineAttenuation: 6 dB
DownSignalNoiseRatioMargin: 16 dB
UpSignalNoiseRatioMargin: 22 dB
DownTransmitPower: 18 dBm
UpTransmitPower: 12 dBm
VendorID:
FastPath: No
Standard: ADSL2PLUS

I have also purchased a ZyXEL EQ-660R-F1 so that they would be able to troubleshoot my line properly from their end, since they said it would be the only way they could help me.

The last time I called was on the 17th of this month, I spent a little over an hour doing the standard routine of resetting, doing multiple speedtests from »spdtst-dlls.tx.centurylink.net/ while directly connected to my modem doing them again in safe-mode and sometimes on another computer. This time he said he would schedule some form of higher up technician to come out at 7pm when the issue is actually happening and see what kind of results he had and he would call the number I left him before he came out.

The ticket number was 5819019,"if this shouldn't be shown I can remove it" he came out at 2:30pm on the 18th and I never received a call or heard anyone knocking, which was odd because on the phone he said he was bringing his own equipment and a laptop and he would need to come inside to do is own tests physically. Later receiving an automated call saying something along the lines of "no issue was found and everything seems to be working fine."

Sorry if this is all improperly formatted but I don't know what else to do at this point, I've contacted them at "TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com" and their support line at "1-877-646-3282 and 800-788-3600" multiple times to no avail. I'm sure they are getting tired of hearing from me by now.

I am open to any suggestions or if any additional information is required I would be happy to supply it.

TL;DR Constant internet issues during peak times, don't know what to do anymore.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

The symptoms you describe, slowdown during prime time with no modem issues, are network congestion. It could be at your DSLAM, it could be at the local CO, and it could be at a point further upstream.

They may have resolved the bandwidth exhaustion problem last year, but that doesn't mean they stopped selling service in your area. Your best bet is to work with the Talktous folks. Ask them what they need you to provide to help find where the problem is.
rapter13
join:2009-08-13

rapter13

I've had an ongoing conversation with the "TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com" people the last response I had with them was on the 23rd of January to which they replied.

"When I check right now there's still nothing official posted in the area. I know earlier this month when I was out of the office *removed* got your email and escalated it to our tech support teams. I know they requested to get it tested at night and I'm not sure what the results of that were. I've re-engaged our contacts in tech support to look back into this with the data provided. As soon as I hear back I'll let you know. Thanks."

I had suggested something similar last time I was on the phone with them, when we had that snow storm a couple weeks back and everyone was home for those two days, our speed never went over 2mbps. When I brought it up with him he never commented about it.

*Edit- Though it definitely seems like congestion, since watching videos served up over HLS the burst data is slightly higher but any sustained data say over FTP during this time never reaches past the "cap" of what's left.